Menu

LA for 1st grade Memoria Press? FLL? (Didn't like OPGTR)

mmasc

My K'er is working his way through MP's First Start Reading. He's still in book A but progressing well. We did AAR pre-reading during most of K, so we just started First Start Reading. We are doing the reading, without the writing because I think he's ready to read and the writing would slow him down. I'm looking at what to do after (or with First Start Reading) in a couple of months when he's further through the books.

I want to like FLL, but used OPGTR with my first DS and *gasp* didn't like it. Does that mean FLL would likely be a no-go? Or not necessarily? I'm also considering just going with MP 1st grade work, but I've read it's a bit advanced. I just really don't know how to do the whole narration/copy work thing! I feel as though I didn't do enough with DS8, and I want to start DS5 out with whatever is good, efficient, and actually doable! I should add that we attend CC, so there is some rote memorization of grammar, but we do not use CC as our spine, more of a bonus/community day. Thank you!

We found AAR and FLL to be a nice LA combo to start the 1st grade year off.  About half way through the year, when he was feeling more able to write, we added AAS and WWE.  I've been very happy with how our language arts have played out this year.  I don't know how OPGTR compares to FLL, but I love the low-key nature of FLL, the foundational stuff that's covered, and the poetry memorization.  On the other hand, FLL is the one program out of those listed that DS does not like.  But I figure that 5-10 minutes 3 times a week isn't going to cause any lonterm harm with him.  :o)

I don't think there is a correlation between liking OPGTR and liking FLL.

Also, just FYI, MP is coming out with first grade lesson plans that start more gently, with some more review instead of just jumping right into reading books.

My youngest has finished First Start Reading, and we are currently using OPGTR to reinforce what she learned and build on it. It seemed to me that book D rushed through some concepts, and that it did not complete teaching phonics - for example, vowel combinations. That is part of the reason there seems to be such a jump between MP K and MP 1.

My K'er is working his way through MP's First Start Reading. He's still in book A but progressing well. We did AAR pre-reading during most of K, so we just started First Start Reading. We are doing the reading, without the writing because I think he's ready to read and the writing would slow him down. I'm looking at what to do after (or with First Start Reading) in a couple of months when he's further through the books.

I want to like FLL, but used OPGTR with my first DS and *gasp* didn't like it. Does that mean FLL would likely be a no-go? Or not necessarily? I'm also considering just going with MP 1st grade work, but I've read it's a bit advanced. I just really don't know how to do the whole narration/copy work thing! I feel as though I didn't do enough with DS8, and I want to start DS5 out with whatever is good, efficient, and actually doable! I should add that we attend CC, so there is some rote memorization of grammar, but we do not use CC as our spine, more of a bonus/community day. Thank you!

Depends.  What did you not like about OPGTTR?  If it's the scripting, you may not like FLL as it's fully scripted.  It is nice, gentle intro to grammar for 1st grade.  The copy work for the first level is optional and the lessons can be done entirely orally. 

ETA: if you are looking for another gentle option (if you don't like scripting like myself) we are really, really enjoying English Lessons through Literature.  The first level included mechanics, copy work from literature that you are reading along with the program, picture narration, picture study, and poetry & fables to read. 

Thank you for your replies. They are all helpful and give me some options to consider. Mamamindy: yes, it was a lot of the 'repeat after me' stuff that just seemed mind-numbing. I appreciate the recommendation of English Lessons Through Literature. I had not heard of it and it looks good!

Hkchik: thank you for telling me about MP's changes. I didn't know about that, so it could make first grade still an option. Have you used their curricula before for first?

Tld: great idea! For some reason I had never even thought of starting FLL first, then adding WWE the second half of the year. I already have AAS through level three (using for DS8) so that's a good suggestion on how to incorporate both. Did you use AAR level 1? I'm on the fence about using it. We are finishing up pre-reading and DS just doesn't seem interested in the games. I'm not sure if we finish First Start Reading if we would move on to AAR 2? So much to figure out!

I have used MP K {going to be 3rd child this fall!}, 1st, 2nd, 5th, and 6th so maybe I can help you out! :)

MP is changing K-2nd. The SRA book is being replaced for all 3 grades with a new option still being decided. 3 weeks are being devoted to a slower start to MP 1st using more Primary Phonics Reader sets, Classical Phonics Primer, and wkbk pgs from the new {being decided} phonics wkbk before beginning STT/MST. The Little House Christmas books are being removed/made supplmental to make room. 2nd is also getting new literature selections with Mr. Popper's Penguins being moved to the new Alt. 4th grade. The changes are slated to be ready by the end of May but don't hold them to it. if 

You will not need anything else for LA if you use MP. They include Spelling Lists, too.

Copybook is included weekly. It is tied to memory work and comes from Scripture verses found in the Golden Children's Bible weekly reading. There are also other poems. You do not need to be reading the GCB to use the Copybook. Handwriting instruction is located in the first few pages of the Copybooks.

As you move up, you can either use their Latin with the Grammar Recitation and Classical Composition or R&S English {you have to call for the R&S plans}. We don't do Latin so R&S it is.

I suggest you pop over to the MP Forum for more information and help deciding. Tanya from the MP office answers posts daily. Alternately, give them a call. :)