Menu

New, all important topic

Lawana

Is navy blue a color suitable for a newborn?

Shouldn't all newborns wear white or suitably light colors???

(Even if they are cute as heck no matter what color they are wearing?)

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone say that all newborns should wear white or light colors.

It makes no sense at all to me.

I have never heard of newborns sticking to white or only light colors.  My kids wore the typical pastel pinks and blues, but also deep reds, navy blues (one of my favorite outfits dd6 wore as a baby was a navy blue and white sailor dress).  They even wore black as newborns, and blue jeans too.  My baby didn't care what color he/she was dressed in, just that they were comfy and warm.  I had no interest in dressing them in the same pastel stuff all the time and dressed them in what I felt was cutest.

Pastels are of course popular, if you asked my grandma she would say a baby shouldn't be seen in darker colours. And I will admit I dislike black on a baby

However, I have managed to convince even my grandma that dark colours can look good on a baby, even a baby girl, with some lovely navy outfits. My babies also look great in brown when co-ordinated right. Denim can be very nice, I LOVE babies and toddlers in denim 'jumper dresses) (we call them overalls with skirts lol) with a nice red or pastel top underneath.

So, no, they needn't wear only pastels. However it does take a little more choosiness to make them look nice and dressed up in dark colours as opposed to looking like they're just wearing mini-grown-up clothes.

When I had my 3rd child, which was my 2nd daughter, I purposefully stayed away from traditional whites and pastels. I don't remember what my reasoning was but I just didn't want a dresser full of pastel clothing or a room painted up that way either. I went with bright, bold colors when I could.

I think it's cute.  I would dress my baby in it.  Sometimes my mom will get upset about something that never occurred to me to think could be an issue.   My guess is that there are connotations of "mourning" associated with black for your mom, or maybe there's some old wive's tale that you know nothing about, but your mom takes seriously.  

I've heard "little kids shouldn't wear black," but I think navy is what you're supposed to dress them in if you believe that and you want/need a dark color.  Navy is a very traditional color for little kids... sailor suits and all that.  And Prince George's little smocked romper was classic.

All white for babies went out with the invention of the washing machine and decent detergent and color-fast dyes.  It's "tradition" because in the olden days, dyes were unreliable and the only way to really get clothes clean was to boil them.  And baby clothes need extra boiling because of what babies do to them.

My daughter looked stunning in navy as an infant.    (Still does.)

I wouldn't put my daughter in baby blue because then people would think she was a boy.  I wouldn't put my son in baby pink either.  (Actually I am still stuck in "pink is not for males" mode despite the racks of pink shirts in the men's department.)   Other than that, I dressed my kids in what I liked.

My daughter was born in January.  It was cold.  I had bought a beautiful fleece bunting for her to wear home from the hospital.  It was a very light blue-green color - I liked it and wanted a unisex color anyway since I didn't know if I was expecting a boy or a girl.  Some lady in the hospital elevator criticized me for having my daughter in blue.  Like I'd put a curse on her or something.  Gah. 

WHY should newborns wear white or suitably light colors?  What is a suitably light color? 

I dyed all the white baby clothes darker colors within 0-3 wears simply because while white was cheap/plentiful, it also stains waaay to easy for my tastes. Being a dad I missed the crazy "mom memo" type stuff that most people believe about babies. My boys wore (dark and light) blue, green, brown and black with no averse side effects.

My girls are redheads with very pale eyelashes and eyebrows. They disappeared into their clothing when dressed in light colors! I deliberately dressed them in dark or bold colors (plus, those colors made their hair look fantastic!).

One of my favorite pictures was taken on dd14's first birthday. She's dressed in a black stretchy velvety dress, white tights, and soft soled leather shoes with large appliquéd daisies. She had just figured out how to climb up a step and is holding onto the banister laughing with delight :)

Is navy blue a color suitable for a newborn?

Shouldn't all newborns wear white or suitably light colors???

(Even if they are cute as heck no matter what color they are wearing?)

Yes. And they should look like babies, not like football players or little old men in suits. :glare:

I didn't know that babies weren't supposed to be in dark colors.  Mine were vomiters.  No way did I put any of them in whites or pastels.  Stains never seemed to come out, plus our water is heavy on the rust.  To me, whites and pastels equaled waste of clothing because they looked terrible after one use.

My kids wore a lot of dark colors. My dd looked washed out in lighter pastels. My son had an adorable navy sailor looking "outfit" that he wore his first time to church (pictures) so, no problem here. One of my best friends baby daughters is always in dark, bold colors and I love her outfits.

My first baby girl (after 3 boys) is due anytime in the next 3 weeks or so. This thread sent me running to the wardrobe to see what clothes I have, lol.

Not that I particularly care about the white/pastels thought (clearly, given all the cute brown dresses in there), but it was a nice excuse to thumb through all the baby clothes again. :lol:

Mine wear just about everything. I can't say they have worn much black, but I've seen babies in black velvet who looked scrumptious. Mine looked better in other colors. Navy looks good on DS, and deep brown and purple or plum is gorgeous on my oldest. The toddler is a bright jewel tone kid. The really "clear" pastels look off on her. I may have an issue with colors, including paint shades... ;)

Newborns should wear whatever their mother likes. And she should enjoy dressing them in the clothes of her choosing, because the complaining about clothes begins all too soon! My kids had all sorts of off beat clothing. My dd had a darling newborn navy blue outfit.

Both my kids wore mostly dark colors as babies; I hate how quickly whites and pastels look dingy. DD has always looked stunning in black, since she has jet-black hair, almost-black eyes, light skin and red lips. People would literally stop and do a double take when she was an infant, because she almost didn't look real. My absolute favorite outfit of hers was a little black linen dress with white stitching from the Gap.  :001_wub:

I preferred my little newborn DS in dark colors.  He had a lot of navy and olive green in his wardrobe.  He's the only family member with light hair and was pretty pale as an infant, and I guess I felt like his lighter clothing washed him out.  Plus he was born in the fall, so I assume I liked the darker colors because I felt they equated with warmth somehow.  

It's funny, I never really thought that out before as to what my reasons were, at the time I just kept on picking the darker colored outfits from his drawer.  

It just seems such a non-issue for me. Would someone really judge a baby by it's clothes? Or the parents of the baby by it's clothes?

Agree totally. I don't care what babies are dressed in. Are they loved and well cared for? Yes? Great. Dress your baby in goth if you want! :D

I was at a baby shower last week.  Lots of bright, fun colors!  Hardly a pastel in the bunch.  The best was a paisley onesie!  As a child of the 60's I still love paisley.  It had a teal background and all sorts of bright colors.  I would have dressed my babies in bright paisley onesies if I'd found some when they were little!