Menu

ugh, clothes shopping for dd14

swellmomma

DD14 has hit a major growth spurt, in the last 2 weeks she has outgrown all of her shirts due to chest size and all of her pants due to expanding hips.  2 weeks ago she fit comfortably in a child's size 10, now her size 12s can't done up.  She has 2 pairs of jeans that have the elastic things inside she can loosen and a pair of sweats but no other bottoms.  Tops she has started wearing her brothers t-shirts. The 2 of us have been looking online for new clothes for her, and having a heck of a time.  Everything is either too young, too old, too skimpy, too ugly you get the picture.

I need some suggestions of your favorite places to shop for petite teens.  DD14 is now in a slim fit 14, she is very much a tom boy but does like to wear a summer dress on occasion.  She wants to look stylish and with the times but without drawing attention to her chest or butt, no spaghetti straps but tanks are fine.  Shorts for summer need to be roomy enough to be comfy but not so roomy to allow people to see up them while she is climbing trees etc.  She is one of the guys and all of her friends her age are guys, which is fine, but at the same time several of them have expressed interest in her.  So she wants to dress in a way they they will see flattering without showing off too much or making her too girly.

This was much easier in the smaller sizes.  It seems from size 14+ the outfits are getting more and more sexy.

I didn't think about 0-2 in ladies, we were looking at the kids 14s but the styles she liked were out of stock in those sizes.  I will show her the 0-2 ladies sizes and see what she thinks.  She wears tanks near daily now, because she doesn't want to wear a bra yet so the tank it is, that layering she has, and we will get more of those.  T-shirts that are not little kid-ish with the logos but not with deep v-necks are a pain.  I could just buy her boys shirts but she likes them being more formed to her waist kwim

I know you didn't ask but if comfort/flexibility is a concern with bras she may like this one: http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champion-women-s-seamless-sport-layer-bra-assorted-colors/-/A-14844854#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=sports%20bra because it's a sports bra so she can climb trees, etc. without the straps falling down and due to the back design it shouldn't show if she wears it under a tank. It's the most comfortable one I have ever found and it has padding that you can keep in or remove.

For shirts have you tried the junior's section? It's been a while since I've looked at the shirts, but I used to find form fitting ones without a low cut neck design.

I will take a look at those ones.  It has been a comfort thing with her, no girl in an A cup needs padding and underwire, and she didn't like how it felt when she was trying to be active.  She has to have some for cadet camp this summer (expedition camp, and the rest of her clothes are supplied by the army but she needs to have some bras that will work as so goes from mountain biking, to rock climbing to canoeing, to obstacle courses and back again). Hopefully those ones will feel comfortable enough for her. 

I actually had not thought of a jr's section.  Any store we have bought her clothes at before I have never seen one, there is either the girls or the womens, but there didn't seem to be a section that fit that transitional period.  Maybe that is because we have generally shopped at walmart etc.  

I have been successful lately finding tops and comfortable bras for my girls in the women's Activewear departments particularly at Target and Gap. My oldest wears yoga pants because they are easiest to fit her shape. She particularly likes Lands End. They are pricier than some but I like being able to return them if they get a hole.

I am no help in dresses as we generally make those.

Sarah

I wear Old Navy tanks backwards under v-neck and low-cut shirts.  They are much higher in the back than in the front, and they're tagless, so it works okay.  The dark color tanks are better, since you can't read the printed tag through the fabric.  

Wal-Mart and Target have juniors sections next to the ladies. Juniors are cut slimmer and a bit younger. She should be able to find extra small with no trouble. 

Rue 21 runs small, and is on the younger side. Pretty and tasteful. I shop there.

I second the sports bras, for modesty if nothing else. More comfortable and more supportive than a tank top, especially in the summer.

I'd recommend moving up to junior and even women's sizes.  My daughter is probably still 14S, but she is 19 so only shops in juniors and women's.  They seem have a bigger variety, even within the sizes (for example, different pants lengths).  Old Navy, Delia's, Lands End, and Herberger department stores are favorites of ours.  (Herbergers have different names depending on where you are.)   My daughter also wears tanks under almost everything!

In same boat with DD13....no suggestions but definitely reading this thread with interest.  Heading out in about an hour to look at local options but we tried this a few weeks ago with no luck...except for leggings.  She is now wearing a lot of leggings wih very stretchy shorts while her hips keep expanding.  Thankfully this is currently in style where we are (I guess we are doing the layering thing on the bottom instead of the top :) ).  The leggings seem to shred pretty easily when she climbs, though.

I never did jr depts with my girls (as you've discovered, they tend to be "s3xy") - we skipped right to women's by the age your dd is now.  you can get misses petites.   2dd was in regular misses sizes by 13 (I had a lovely linen suit from when I was in college in a misses size 8, she couldn't wear it because her *shoulders* were too broad),

The problem with shopping in the girls' dept. for young ladies with developing figures is that girls' sizes assume no bust/hips. They're just straight. My 10yo wears a 34B, for pete's sake. We shop the jr's or petites dept. @ Penneys and pick up tank tops wherever we can (and then I shorten the straps so they're not so low in the front).

I'm just glad there are as many options as there are now.  When I was 12-14, my mother literally couldn't find anything to fit me.  I was 5' 2" (same as now) and only weighed about 90 pounds.  They didn't make anything past size 14 in girls and women's started at size 3. 

For pants, try women's from the Gap.  I wouldn't recommend them for shirts because a lot of them are really thin.  They have petites, and the pants tend to be better quality than Old Navy.  Their prices can be kind of ridiculous here in Canada, but once you know her size you can order online where they tend to have good sales.

I'm just glad there are as many options as there are now.  When I was 12-14, my mother literally couldn't find anything to fit me.  I was 5' 2" (same as now) and only weighed about 90 pounds.  They didn't make anything past size 14 in girls and women's started at size 3. 

Sounds like my dd.  At 14 she is barely 5' and only weighs 75ish lbs.  She is tiny, but developing.  I never had trouble finding clothes growing up, though I didn't like my clothes due to style (they all fit but limited finances meant no real options in style).  I want dd to feel stylish but man, they do not make clothes for a body like her's that still lets her be still be a young girl and not dressed trying to attract the boys.  THAT has never been an issue lol  She is happiest in her combat boots and fatigues and has no problem attracting the boys even in that get up.  At 14 her clothing should not be about sex appeal imo, I swear designers these days do not have daughters.

For bras, I learned about this company the other day and think it's the coolest thing I've seen in awhile. I wish these bras had been around when I was younger. The founder is a teenager who felt that all the bras marketed to teens were too sexy and pushing them to look grown up too fast. So she started a kickstarter campaign for her bra idea and it was successful and she sells adorable bras!

http://www.yellowberrycompany.com/

When I got too adult shaped for the kids and yet was still really scrawny, western wear stores was where I went for pants and I graduated to womens clothes. look at size 2's or around that size. xsmall or small women's shirts would probably work for her too. My oldest went straight from size 12 to men's xs. The Old Navy outlet in South Side Edmonton sometimes has good deals. Le Chateau Outlet over there sometimes has awesome deals and they usually have the small sizes. Warehouse One has alright  choices now and then too might be more up her ally as far as style. As far as places for good prices,that's where I'd start looking in your area.

My DD is 14- 5'1" 95lbs

She shops the juniors section at Kohls. She says they are the only one with pants that fit right. She gets some tops from there but most come from Delia's. We don't have one here so she orders online. I would call her style a fashionable sporty. Most of Delia's shirts do not need an undershirt bur DD feels more comfortable with one. We get layering tanks from Forever 21, they are $1.80 so she has enough to go under every shirt.