Menu

memory work, WTM-style, in logic stage

I'm sketching out our Logic stage plans, and noticed that WTM doesn't seem to recommend any memory work.  Perhaps I missed it?  I was wondering:

If one were being a WTM purist, would one drop memory work at this stage? 

If you did WTM-style memory work (or any history/science memory work) in elementary, what do you do in middle school? 

What seems like a really good idea to do -- or NOT to do -- RE memory work in Logic/middle, given a child used to some memory work in Grammar/elementary?

thank you for any thoughts!

I don't know what the WTM says about the memory work, but I am really happy with the memory work that we do / have done for middle school. I think that being able to memorize is important. Since we do not do much testing, memory work can build that skill.

DS memorizes poems and Shakespeare passages. Next year, I would like to add in a speech or two and move on to longer passages. The elocution is as important as the memorizing.

We have some Anki decks. He knows how to set one up and maintain it now. We made Anki decks for the things that we want in long term memory: for example. ABRSM music theory terms and U.S. Capitals. The spaced repetition means that once you have learned the deck, maintaining it takes very little time.

We are working on memorizing some KEY history dates. Just enough to have an internal framework.

We have an Anki deck for math that has been neglected. It is on my to-do list to bring it back to life:)

I don't know what the WTM says about the memory work, but I am really happy with the memory work that we do / have done for middle school. I think that being able to memorize is important. Since we do not do much testing, memory work can build that skill.

DS memorizes poems and Shakespeare passages. Next year, I would like to add in a speech or two and move on to longer passages. The elocution is as important as the memorizing.

We have some Anki decks. He knows how to set one up and maintain it now. We made Anki decks for the things that we want in long term memory: for example. ABRSM music theory terms and U.S. Capitals. The spaced repetition means that once you have learned the deck, maintaining it takes very little time.

Thanks!  that is a nice start.  Here's a link to Anki for thread-reference. 

Memory work is a grammar stage skill.  Outlining and studying logic take its place in the middle years.

Parrot

Pert

Poetic

:lol:  oohhhhh, how I detest those labels!!!!!!    :lol:

Is there memory work in Logic for the 3rd edition?  I'm just missing it?  totally possible -- the littles are around when I go over the book and they are distracting. 

I just remembered this master list of K-8 memory work thread that I bookmarked years ago -- it's a nice point of departure for the mnemonically inclined.