Menu

Anyone especially LIKE R&S Spelling Grade 2?

alisoncooks

I do. It's a gentle, sweet introduction the the subject, builds confidence, and lets them feel a big kid. The words are grouped by a common rule even if it doesn't explicitly teach them, and we simply talk about that rule when DC practice the words.

I like it too.  We are doing MFW Adv this year and doing R&S spelling grade 2 with it. 

Simple and quick. Gentle intro to spelling as a subject.  Builds confidence.  Teaches how to read and follow instructions carefully.  I also think it teaches a bit of independence.  All good stuff.  :)

I like it. It's straightforward and traditional but very sound. My 7 year old doesn't hate it so that's a win. It is not flashy, colorful or "fun" but it gets the job done. It was on the lower end of challenging but I thought it was building some sound skills so we went with it and we just moved to the 3 and he doesn't complain. I'm glad we started with 2 though.

I've struggled with finding a spelling program that my son likes. R&S has done the trick for us. He likes being able to do the pages independently and he appreciates the short lists. The words have been easy for him, but I like that. His confidence is returning and he no longer despises spelling.

Thanks for all the feedback!  It's nice to hear some positive reviews -- often I just see negative for grade 2.

I'll definitely line this up for my youngest!  Now I'm debating if I should put my current 2nd grader in level 2 now -- she's a struggling reader and I think it might be helpful to start with the easier level...

I like it too. My dd just used it this year for 2nd grade. The first several lessons were very easy for her but the later part of the book the words became much more challenging for her. So far none of my kids are natural spellers, and they have to work harder at spelling than other subjects.

Since I'm one that has pointed out that the phonics is heavier in grades 3 and up, I'll mention that I am planning to use it next year with my middle son in 2nd grade. He'll be using the phonics program alongside it, so I'm not worried about the spelling program not having heavy phonics.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to update this thread to say that we are LOVING R&S Spelling 2!

I'm finding that this program is really making DD look at words all the way through -- something she has struggled with (DD reads about 1 grade level behind).  She is also become quite competent at reading the instructions for herself (amazing)!  

What I'm loving:

1. Extra reading practice:  R&S Spelling 2 is exposing DD to high frequency words (today's lesson taught the short /e/ sound in dead, head, thread, bread -- something we've not yet covered in Dancing Bears).
  2. Fostering independence:  DD is starting to read instructions & following directions on her own.
  3. SHE LIKES IT!  No complaining!  Woo-hoo!

So.... for those on the fence with R&S2, don't be discouraged about the lack of enthusiasm that may be seen for it.  It might serve a purpose in your homeschool!