Menu

Classic Start books and COH's lapbooks...would you use?

Meadowlark

These are the classics but slightly changed for younger (elementary) students. Erica @ COH creates lapbooks to go along with them. I'm a little torn about whether I want to introduce the classics in this way, or just wait and read the real thing. Erica says on her blog that she likes them for younger students who will then read the real thing later. They are introduced to it that is, before they tackle the much harder real thing.

Also, has anyone used her lapbooks? Im just not sure if they would be a fun add on, or stressful busywork. It does look like a lot of work just for ME to put together, and not a ton of stuff for the kids to do. Does anyone else feel that way? I've never used lapbooks so don't know of their value per se. Perhaps I am missing out on something wonderful!

Just curious what the hive thinks of this curriculum she's creating.

We're not interested in lapbooks here (lots of work for little payoff IMO, but maybe we'll try one later).

I DO like Classic Starts. I pick them up when I find them at the thrift store. I think they do a nice job of bringing the classic down to a level a 3rd-4th grader can understand, and then later when they read the unabridged version they will have a better idea of what is going on. I also like that they are attractive hardbacks - it just feels so grown up to read Oliver Twist out of a nice quality book.