Menu

Ideas for science intensive?

As we look towards the end of our school year, I feel like overall we have done well and accomplished what we set off to do...other than in science. We did elemental science biology with extras thrown in and well...I think I didn't do enough extra! And the last couple months have done less and less of it. I should have known better...I tried ES before and it was not a fit for us so who knows what I was thinking at the beginning of this year. Anyway, we've got probably 6 or so weeks of school left and I thought I would love to do some sort of fun, hands on science pretty much every day for the rest of the year (usually we do history 2 days a week and science 2 days a week). I know my kids would love it and I would really like to. It could carry into the summer too.

Science is my weak subject so "winging it" will not work well for me here. Kids are 10, 8, 6. Thinking something that involves experiments with some reading and discussion. I know there are different kits out there on amazon and other learning places...just would love to hear a recommendation of something used and liked. Any ideas?

Science in a Nutshell Ocean's Alive activity pack, plus a field trip to the beach at the end of the school year (or an aquarium if you're not near a beach).

This looks like a lot of fun! I am looking at different "nutshell" kits on a delta education site...where have you bought them before?

We did Ellen Mchenry's Elements last year and it was great!  Full of fun, educational games, skits, crafts, experiments.  Easily accomplished. Incredibly educational. Cheap.  Fun.  What more could you ask for?

http://store.ellenjmchenry.com/

Ruth in NZ

Ruth, how long did you guys spend on the Elements? We've got it planned for the upcoming year, but I'm not sure how long to expect to take to go through it.

We did it in four months, but you could definitely stretch it out ( we did not do all the crafts like the periodic table pillow case even though the kids wanted to) or you could do it faster as in six weeks if you worked on it every day. I think we did about two hours a week, but don't quite remember.

Ruth, how long did you guys spend on the Elements? We've got it planned for the upcoming year, but I'm not sure how long to expect to take to go through it.

My boys finished it fairly quickly because they enjoyed it. We skipped a few crafts and watched Nova: Hunting the Elements on Netflix. We also used element flash cards to recreate different style tables of the elements.