Menu

Hsing on rollerskates, etc. Do your dc do things like this?

Tiramisu

I have one who looked up words in the dictionary while skating around in pajamas this morning. Now she's fixing lunch on skates.

Yes, she did get up and get dressed but wanted to be comfortable again.

That's what hsing looks like around here. What interesting hs views sights have you seen lately?

We have exercise balls instead of chairs. DD will bounce on the ball, rolling it with her hands back and forth, moving through the room, all while answering questions or talking a mile a minute. Which might explain why she enjoys field biology so much ;).

We have exercise balls instead of chairs. DD will bounce on the ball, rolling it with her hands back and forth, moving through the room, all while answering questions or talking a mile a minute. Which might explain why she enjoys field biology so much ;).

I think we need a new exercise ball. I could use it, too.

Ds has taken to do doing his math in the bathtub lately. Not with water in it, just sitting in the tub. I think it's because it's fairly quiet in there and there is a skylight so the light is nice. Then for some reason he decided to finish his math sitting on the floor behind a chair in my room. He got them all right so I can't complain. 

It's been awhile, but Algebra finally "clicked" for my older ds when he was allowed to homeschool in roller skates: I wrote the problem on a whiteboard, he looked at it, did a lap around the house, and knew what to do for the first step when he got back to the whiteboard. Then another lap around the house and he'd figured out the second step and so on and so forth.

He also used to do Latin orally while running laps around the back yard. The neighbours knew we were strange, but figured he must have been some sort of a "home skewl supergenius" to be yelling stuff in Latin at the top of his lungs during school hours. ;)

Younger ds is also a....well, a BOY, so there are probably exercise balls in our future but for now we do different subjects in different rooms in different modes of "school at home at the kitchen table just like on a magazine cover", cuddling on the couch, and bouncing off the walls depending on what's appropriate/doable with each individual task.

Mine read in a tree. They've even named the levels of branches lol. I believe there are six levels total...

We also have a bridge from the back of our property to the middle of a tree, and an open tree house circling the tree. They sit out there all the time for school. We have tea time and I read aloud to them on it as well.

Oh yes, rollerblades are common here. We also have random handstands. My daughter is a gymnast who is trying to work up to a 30 second handstand....but my son does these random handstands too. They will be at the table, stand up, do a handstand or two, sit back down, and resume their work. It's strange to me, but as long as they are paying attention, I can't complain.

Ha, these are funny to read!  Of course we're done homeschooling now, but I remember once my daughter built a fort in our living room (under a card table with blankets) and did her work there for an entire school year.  Once another daughter took her Iowa Basics Standardized Test in a laundry basket filled with clothes.