Menu

How do you think we should fix the health care problem in the US?

It is surprising to me how many people on here don't have health insurance or are on the verge of losing it because they can no longer afford it.

What are your thoughts? I have no idea how this problem can be fixed but I'm interested in how other people think it can be. I'm conservative so I don't like the idea of government paying for our health care. On the other hand, I have a friend who used to live in France and married a French native. She says that the French health care system was wonderful. I just wish health care was affordable. I wish a doctor's visit was only $25. My dh needs to see his cardiologist and was told the visit would be about $400. I guess rates that are low enough to pay ourselves will never be here again!

I do think that part of the problem is that we as Americans have this idea that actions don't have consequences. We think we can eat fast food 6 days a week, gain 40 extra pounds, not exercise and it won't have any negative effects on our health. Maybe getting over that mentality would help some.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing like this for political discussion. :tongue_smilie:

Yeah, I thought that after I posted. :lol: Really, I am curious for ideas. I haven't heard many ideas on how it can be fixed. I haven't paid too much attention to the political race this year (rare for me!) so I haven't heard the candidates' ideas on it either. I'm at a loss as to how it can be fixed.

Honestly, insurance is so expensive because we use it too much. When an insurance company sees my family on paper (2 adults, 6 dc) they see a family that is going to cost them $x on a regular basis. Things like sick visits, antibiotics, therapies, etc. add up quickly. I know my old ped had parents bring dc in to have ticks removed!:confused: The reality is that we have had exactly one sick visit and one accident in two years (and they were both last week!:lol:) Most of my dc have NEVER had antibiotics. Even catastrophic policies are cost prohibitive, though. We would spend $16,000 in a year before we saw any benefit ($500 a month premiums and $10,000 deductible.)

Insurance companies are in business to make money (even the non-profits - don't get me started!) They are not a charity. I don't begrudge them their money. For every person who pays and doesn't use (my dh when he was covered under an employer plan - he used it ONCE in 5+ years), there is a person who uses more than what he pays in (my father - he paid $2500 per month but his prescription heparin was $4000 a month!)

How to fix it? I am not sure. Maybe get rid of PPO's and HMO's and make everyone go to catastrophic coverage? If they have to pay $95 for a visit instead of a $20 co-pay, they may think more carefully before they go.

Maybe doctors could charge cash paying patients the same rate that the insurance company pays. My ped sent me a bill by accident one time when the dc had Medicaid in the past for $365 for a well-child visit. I was FLOORED. When I inquired, I found out that Medicaid only paid them $85 - if I had been a cash patient I would have paid more than 4 times more.

As a self-employed family I would like to have more open communication with a doctor about their fees. I know they can't always tell what they'll be doing before you come in, but an outline of fees and an estimate when you come for an intial consult would be nice.

Also realistic discussion about the price of prescriptions. We took ds in one time and went to pick up medicine for strep. They wanted 150.00. We refused it and called the dr back. He gave us samples.

ETA: We have also sought out physicans who give discounts for self-paying customers. It was more of who you know that picking one out of the phone book. But I miss our dr. we had before we moved. He didn't suggest unnecessary tests or medicines and helped us to make more informed choices.

I'm sure that there are people that are far more capable than I am at figuring this question out....but, off the cuff, I would say that we need to better fund Medicaid/Medicare so that those that cannot afford health insurance can still get treatment... quality treatment. Funding for this....hmmm Well, for starters....we could require our government to be more accountable for their spending.... the whole 'government contracts' racket is NOT working... Another option we can look into is covering the expenses of medical school students so that they, in turn, would agree to work for a much smaller wage immediately after becoming a doctor.... no student loans means they could afford to do this...especially for XXX amount of year...not necessarily for life or anything. We always seem to 'find' money for things we want in our country....so, why not for this? Hey, how about we stop our govenment officials from giving themselves raises all the time.... public servants....hurumph.

I'm sure that there are people that are far more capable than I am at figuring this question out....but, off the cuff, I would say that we need to better fund Medicaid/Medicare so that those that cannot afford health insurance can still get treatment... quality treatment. Funding for this....hmmm Well, for starters....we could require our government to be more accountable for their spending.... the whole 'government contracts' racket is NOT working... Another option we can look into is covering the expenses of medical school students so that they, in turn, would agree to work for a much smaller wage immediately after becoming a doctor.... no student loans means they could afford to do this...especially for XXX amount of year...not necessarily for life or anything. We always seem to 'find' money for things we want in our country....so, why not for this? Hey, how about we stop our govenment officials from giving themselves raises all the time.... public servants....hurumph.

The gov't already does this - it's called the Public Health Service Corps. Med students can also get loans forgiven through the Indian Health Service and the military.

The thing I don't like about Medicaid is that (at least here in NC) there are NO co-pays for anything. It's too easy to use. It sounds silly, but there has to be a way to get people to use it responsibly and not see it as "free health care."

The gov't already does this - it's called the Public Health Service Corps. Med students can also get loans forgiven through the Indian Health Service and the military.

The thing I don't like about Medicaid is that (at least here in NC) there are NO co-pays for anything. It's too easy to use. It sounds silly, but there has to be a way to get people to use it responsibly and not see it as "free health care."

Gov't aready spends a ton and makes simple visits a nightmare with all the paperwork and regulations. The whole system is broken. We need to get out of the box, and start to experimenting. All parties need to compromise (doctors, hospitals, drug companies, insurance companies, and patients).

If they have to pay $95 for a visit instead of a $20 co-pay, they may think more carefully before they go.

And they could wait too long because of it.... look at cancer, for instance....the sooner it is discovered the more likely a positive outcome will be. If a woman has pain in her lower abdomen.... it could be a little cyst that will take care of itself given a couple of weeks....OR it could be ovarian cancer and those couple of weeks she waited to go in were the crucial weeks she needed to have successfully fought this cancer. Yes, some people go in for every little thing....but sometimes, going in when you first have symptoms means the difference, literally, between life and death.

Not to mention....what about pregnancy? Perhaps, in a perfect world, only people that can afford pre-natal care would get pregnant (not something *I* believe by the way)....however, we do not live in a perfect world....so should those that cannot afford pre-natal...just deal with it...and go without?

First we need to get the pharmaceutical companies out of the back pockets of politicians... then we need to get their ads out of JAMA and their representatives out of the AMA. Maybe then we can do some REAL research to determine causes of disease etc so that we won't be paying through the nose for drugs that do nothing more than mask the symptoms and create side effects. We need to stop advertising to the masses about all the drugs we need. We need to teach people how to take care of themselves and how to eat properly (don't even get me started on the food pyramid and the old 4 food groups!). We need to get artificial colors and preservatives etc out of "foods." If we did this, we would see sweeping changes. Until this happens, I don't see it ever changing.

We have insurance for emergency uses only. In 6 1/2 yrs of being a mom, I have dispensed 1 dose of tylenol and my youngest got 3 stitches and a topical anesthetic. Other than that, we have never used a pharmaceutical drug and my kids amaze the pediatrician with how healthy they are. We use the chiropractor if the kids take a bad fall and we eat healthy foods. I need to go to the doctor for emergencies like broken bones and severe gashes needing stitching but that is about all.

#1) Drop the third party billing system. The medical industry is the only business where the customer never sees the bill. We need more workable HSA type accounts so people can begin to cover their own medical costs. They they will begin to think twice about whether they really need to see the doc to remove that tick, and start declining the offer to "supersize".

#2) Put an end to pain and suffering lawsuits. You can't truly put a price tag on a human life anyways.

Generally, those that qualify for Medicaid....could not afford even a $5 co-pay.... surely there are exceptions to that.... but, in general, that is the case. And frankly, especially in the case of children, I would rather there be no co-pay than for even ONE child that needed medical attention not get it because the family didn't have $5.

Scrap the whole thing and start over.

Yup! :iagree: I honestly think the whole thing is a scam. If no one had insurance then no one would be able to pay the doctors. Doctors would have to lower their fees or go out of business. And it is a business. I think we should all go back to paying with chickens. As in, "I can't pay your fee, but I brought you this chicken."

First we need to get the pharmaceutical companies out of the back pockets of politicians... then we need to get their ads out of JAMA and their representatives out of the AMA. Maybe then we can do some REAL research to determine causes of disease etc so that we won't be paying through the nose for drugs that do nothing more than mask the symptoms and create side effects. We need to stop advertising to the masses about all the drugs we need. We need to teach people how to take care of themselves and how to eat properly (don't even get me started on the food pyramid and the old 4 food groups!). We need to get artificial colors and preservatives etc out of "foods." If we did this, we would see sweeping changes. Until this happens, I don't see it ever changing.

We have insurance for emergency uses only. In 6 1/2 yrs of being a mom, I have dispensed 1 dose of tylenol and my youngest got 3 stitches and a topical anesthetic. Other than that, we have never used a pharmaceutical drug and my kids amaze the pediatrician with how healthy they are. We use the chiropractor if the kids take a bad fall and we eat healthy foods. I need to go to the doctor for emergencies like broken bones and severe gashes needing stitching but that is about all.

Which is FANTASTIC for you and yours....ya'll are truely blessed. But what about the families that have children with medical issues... allergies, chronics illnesses, diseases, birth defects...etc.?

Not to mention....what about pregnancy? Perhaps, in a perfect world, only people that can afford pre-natal care would get pregnant (not something *I* believe by the way)....however, we do not live in a perfect world....so should those that cannot afford pre-natal...just deal with it...and go without?

I've done it. Gone without, that is. Would I recommend it? No.

And they could wait too long because of it.... look at cancer, for instance....the sooner it is discovered the more likely a positive outcome will be. If a woman has pain in her lower abdomen.... it could be a little cyst that will take care of itself given a couple of weeks....OR it could be ovarian cancer and those couple of weeks she waited to go in were the crucial weeks she needed to have successfully fought this cancer. Yes, some people go in for every little thing....but sometimes, going in when you first have symptoms means the difference, literally, between life and death.

I agree. You are talking with someone who just doesn't go because she can't afford it. I have real fears along those lines. What if that cough my dh has had for months is really something serious? What about this twinge in my shoulder - is it a pulled muscle or signs of a blocked artery? How would I even know if I *did* get cancer?!?! I was thinking more along the lines of the TONS of kids who the ped sees for a cold or a stomach bug.

My fear with gov't paid healthcare without reforms in the way healthcare is delivered is a big financial disaster.

Generally, those that qualify for Medicaid....could not afford even a $5 co-pay.... surely there are exceptions to that.... but, in general, that is the case. And frankly, especially in the case of children, I would rather there be no co-pay than for even ONE child that needed medical attention not get it because the family didn't have $5.

Well, my dc get Medicaid, so I do understand. I see your point, but is there ANY way to make people use it responsibly?

It is surprising to me how many people on here don't have health insurance or are on the verge of losing it because they can no longer afford it.

What are your thoughts? I have no idea how this problem can be fixed but I'm interested in how other people think it can be. I'm conservative so I don't like the idea of government paying for our health care. On the other hand, I have a friend who used to live in France and married a French native. She says that the French health care system was wonderful. I just wish health care was affordable. I wish a doctor's visit was only $25. My dh needs to see his cardiologist and was told the visit would be about $400. I guess rates that are low enough to pay ourselves will never be here again!

I do think that part of the problem is that we as Americans have this idea that actions don't have consequences. We think we can eat fast food 6 days a week, gain 40 extra pounds, not exercise and it won't have any negative effects on our health. Maybe getting over that mentality would help some.

Well I can offer no help on how to fix it. I will tell you we have no insurance and DH just went to the Podiatrist because he has had a major problem with his toes for years now. I was afraid he would eventually lose his toes if he didn't go. ANYWAY, he went had his appointment, to the tune of $75 and I took his scripts and almost fell over when I went to pay for them $237 :svengo: I had to get them. So we will be playing what bill to hold off paying this month. :tongue_smilie:

Another story I will try to keep short about hospitals and insurance. Years ago my older brother had a heart problem and was in the Telemetry unit for 7 days. The bill came to about $36,000 . My parents insurance paid $30,000. Which was great! The hospital demanded that my parents pay the balance. If it had been a big insurance company like Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Aetna etc they would have gotten far less and been fine with it, but because my parents ins. co. was a small ins. co they wouldn't accept a pay off they wanted the whole thing. I think that is messed up.

So basically they overcharge so they will get a larger amount from the Big Insurance Companies that they have agreements with but then still expect the little people to pay out of pocket these big whoppin amounts. It just isn't right!

Can you tell this is a huge deal to me?? :tongue_smilie:

Also realistic discussion about the price of prescriptions. We took ds in one time and went to pick up medicine for strep. They wanted 150.00. We refused it and called the dr back. He gave us samples.

Prescription prices are insane. My dad recently had a bout with shingles and was prescribed a cream - went to pick it up and they told him it was $1600!!!! He asked if that was including the insurance coverage - yes, that was his share of the prescription! :001_huh:

Our health care system is irreparably broken. It's time to cut down the old, decayed tree and plant a new one. Health care should be a service guaranteed and available to all. Instead its become a big business where many entities and individuals grossly profit. All insurance companies, for profit corporations, and trial lawyers need to be removed from the equation. Eliminate ALL liability lawsuits and completely cut out malpractice insurance. Place a cap on the high cost of university fees and tuition for medical students. Instead of student loans, which have to re-payed, give government grants to medical students in exchange for agreeing to work in government run hospitals for a certain period of time.

My governer wants to make health care for children MANDATORY! When asked how he would enforce it he likened it to compulsory education. He said that certain services would not be available to you if you did not put your child in the system.

I'm glad you posted this as it has really stuck in my craw! I do not want the government in my business. Insurance (all of it) is a racket. It's a forced savings plan. Of course, medical costs are prohibitive! I don't know how people without insurance or goverment benefits actually pay for their medical care. I think only a small percentage pay the bills, especially since most hospitals and doctor's corporations have indigent funds.

I know my insurance company does not pay the entire doctor's bill. I also know, as a bookkeeper, that the doctor writes that portion of the bill off as bad debt. It gets deducted from his profit before all other expenses and thus lowers his taxable income.

I think doctor's costs have risen because of insurance and Medicaid/Medicare. You can't just go to the doctor, give your symptoms, get tests, medicines and get better. Doctors have a long list of requirements from the insurance companies that have to be followed. If my doctor doesn't follow the ins. company's guidelines, then my ins. company doesn't pay, then I have to (or don't pay) and then I change doctor's.

Insurance and medical costs are a vicious cycle. I almost like the idea of have a cash patient pay the same price as an insurance company except for the fact that the bill to the insurance company is usually inflated. Which of course is why the insurance company doesn't pay the whole bill. It's a vicious cycle.

Also, people are so sue happy today that a doctor has to pay so much to malpractice insurance that he almost goes broke just paying it.

Also, like the OP mentioned. People don't take care of themselves. That increases healthcare costs. Also, people taking their kids in to get ticks removed! We used to take care of so many things at home. The doctor was a last resort and the ER was for life-threatening emergencies. Now people use the ER as a doctor's office!

Sorry, this is one of my big rants! I just can't figure out a solution. I think the doctor's should lower their rates. The loser in a lawsuit should have to pay everyone's court costs, plus a penalty if their case is deemed unnecessary. People should use the doc as a last resort and ER for emergencies. People should be able to save money and doctors and hospital should be able to accept payment plans. This all seems to idealic to be possible. I do not think the government getting involved will help though!

That's clear as mud!

Oh, but then they send me letters reminding me to take my dc for their well-child visits!

And they sure waste a lot of paper, mailing me new cards for everyone covered every month!!

That is not the case in NM. Most of those on Medicaid have the new game systems in their homes and plenty of games. They have name brand clothes and the newest cell phone technology. People have chosen to let the government take care of them.

There are a few people who really need help, but that's not the government's responsibility. It's the family and church responsibility.

My governer wants to make health care for children MANDATORY! When asked how he would enforce it he likened it to compulsory education. He said that certain services would not be available to you if you did not put your child in the system.

That is beyond frightening.

Prescription prices are insane. My dad recently had a bout with shingles and was prescribed a cream - went to pick it up and they told him it was $1600!!!! He asked if that was including the insurance coverage - yes, that was his share of the prescription! :001_huh:

That's INSANE! Did he have them check for errors? Calamine lotion is alot less expensive! So it coritsone cream!

We used to use medications with alot less side effects. Nowadays the side effects from a drug will either kill you or cause another chronic condition. Something has to give!

You know what worked for my dh?!? Bergamot essential oil mixed with a carrier oil (I used almond). It worked and he didn't mind the smell! They really didn't scab over badly either. Maybe your dad could use this next time too.

That is not the case in NM. Most of those on Medicaid have the new game systems in their homes and plenty of games. They have name brand clothes and the newest cell phone technology. People have chosen to let the government take care of them.

There are a few people who really need help, but that's not the government's responsibility. It's the family and church responsibility.

Seriously? How can you possibly be able to prove that statement? Even if you knew 100 people that this was true for....that would not even equal 1% of those that are using Medicaid. Not to mention.... you don't know how each and every person gets their hands on game systems... were they a gift? Did the child earn the money to buy it? Was it a charitable Christmas gift (ie from the Giving Tree, or what have you)? Was it a used system that someone else gave to them? Was it purchased with a tax refund that probably should have been spent more wisely....but was used to buy their children something that they could not usually purchase them? Etc.... Yes, sometimes people make poor choices....especially financially, but I know that *I* for one, am in no position to make that judgement call...we just do not know everything about everyone in every situation.... and just because they could afford a video game in May doesn't mean that they have $5 on June 8th when their 2 year old is suffering with a 106 fever and vomiting....or on August 4th when the 7 year old fell off the monkeybars and broke his arm....etc.

Seriously? How can you possibly be able to prove that statement? Even if you knew 100 people that this was true for....that would not even equal 1% of those that are using Medicaid. Not to mention.... you don't know how each and every person gets their hands on game systems... were they a gift? Did the child earn the money to buy it? Was it a charitable Christmas gift (ie from the Giving Tree, or what have you)? Was it a used system that someone else gave to them? Was it purchased with a tax refund that probably should have been spent more wisely....but was used to buy their children something that they could not usually purchase them? Etc.... Yes, sometimes people make poor choices....especially financially, but I know that *I* for one, am in no position to make that judgement call...we just do not know everything about everyone in every situation.... and just because they could afford a video game in May doesn't mean that they have $5 on June 8th when their 2 year old is suffering with a 106 fever and vomiting....or on August 4th when the 7 year old fell off the monkeybars and broke his arm....etc.

And, furthermore....I did a search http://www.hsd.state.nm.us/mad/pdf_files/GeneralInfo/Eligpamphlet.pdf scroll down to page 6 to see financial requirements.... not to say there aren't those that lie and cheat the system....we all know that is true. However, based on the law....these are people that are in need...to be sure. If you know someone you believe to be committing medicaid fraud... it is your duty to turn them in. But just complaining about it....and deciding that, because there is abuse...that the entire system should be eliminated.... denies those that really need it access to medical care...

I think the only way to fix the problem is to go to universal health care. I think we can have a private insurance system on top of that but everyone should have basic health coverage. For the last eight years we have had to buy individual health insurance. We started in 2000 with pretty good coverage that we could afford but every year or two we had to get progressively less and less coverage. My husband recently got a job that has fabulous benefits (government job) and it is amazing the difference in coverage.

What is interesting is now that we have this great coverage I find myself worried that if we go to universal coverage that we will lose it. Even though I think that is the best thing for society.

I found the movie Sicko to be very enlightening.

Well, there was a lot touched on here.

In a more perfect world, families and churches would do the job and there would be no need for government intervention.

I'd say the comment about getting pharm. companies out of the AMA and universities is a great start.

So is reducing the monetary amounts for "sufferings" should also be reduced, so long as there is clear explanation (not just "sign here") with a real list of the possible dangers. Once someone signs that release, they are accepting the possible outcome of the situation (good or bad). A doctor's malpractice insurance is Ridiculous - really ridiculous.

The Medicaid/Medicare system is such a mess, there needs to be some real reconstruction (like junk it and redesign). The system is so bad that many doctors won't take it anyways (thus my children have to go 25 miles to a dentist when there are at least 10 within 5 miles. (I'm not personally complaining, I'm just sayin') And the paperwork - 4 REAL - happy birthday, go to your well visit (even after we already went) - they must spend some serious money on postage!

As for co-pays for Medicaid, while I know there are some, especially the elderly, who would struggle with the $5, I can also attest that there are plenty adults on or with dependents on Medicaid who are smokin' cigs (amongst other things), wearin' Nike, playing Wii, blingin', driving SUV's while talking to friends on their $300 cell phone with their kids eatin' McD's in the back seat. Seriously, it makes me ill to see people receiving S E R I O U S government assistance and living ghetto fabulous lives. If you can't afford to feed your kids, or take them to the doctor, then you can't afford luxury either. If you need the help, thank God you live in the USA where you can get it, but don't take advantage. I Know this is not the case for Everyone, but from our position it is more the rule than the exception (we live in a lower class neighborhood where just about everybody is on aid of some sort, we minister to the community and we manage a property with 9 units).

I'd say the cost of prescriptions is piracy. I think we should a)reduce our dependency on prescription drugs b)they should simply not be allowed to charge so much, particularly with their incredible profit margins.

As a whole, I believe in dependent care, but we do go to the doctor too much (Americans, not my family cuz we rarely if ever go).

I think going back to old ways of apprenticeship would benefit. Its too bad apprenticeships have been outlawed, for example midwifery. They would certainly lower medical costs.

I do not believe the gov't giving free health care is an answer, I believe it perpetuates dependence and encourage people to stay where they are, instead of working the American Dream, which I view as Independence (not financial wealth).

If you look at other nations where gov't takes care of medicine, you'll find lessor care, long (years long) waiting lists and doctors coming to America for training. Social medicine is not the answer.

ETA: I do agree that privatization is a good idea. Competition and free market are good for consumers

The greatest benefit at this point would be some compromise on both sides of the aisle to work towards a better system overall. It is not something that was broken over night and will not be fixed that way either. Instead of all the two party battle, I would like to see some moderation.....am I asking for too much? Is that even possible in our current political climate?

put the responsibility back with the medical professionals.

Put a cap on what medical professionals can charge based upon income. NO socialized medicine because it will only mean that the middle class will be squeezed with more taxes. AAA!!! This universal health care is nauseating. Force medical professional to take a certain percentage of no charge patients. They must provide free care services in low income communities.

I get scared at knowing that some politician might tax the middle class with more.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

1. It's a food system problem, involving the entire agriculture and food processing industries, and all of the legal and economical aspects therein. Changing farm subsidies to favor local, sustainable, plant-based foods would be a start.

2. It's a research & development problem. Every time an advance is made, the standard of care goes up. "Normal care" is advancing at such a rapid rate that our economy can't keep up. It's not like the computer industry, where $2000 buys you a better computer today than it did 5 years ago. It's as if computers kept getting better without getting any cheaper, and the old computers were so unsafe as to be immoral. I don't know how to solve this one without either violating basic principles of justice (a doctor should give the best care available) or quashing medical research.

3. It's a research & development problem, part 2: the patent system all but guarantees that medical advances are tied to profitability. This has the effect of keeping prices high and advances rapid (which is the problem of #2, above), but it also has the effect of funneling the greatest share of resources (both financial and intellectual) into a very select segment of medical science. Some people are suffering simply because there is no profit in curing them or caring for them. I don't see any solution to this one that doesn't involve the collapse of the stock market and/or the entire medical system.

4. It's a problem of professionalization. Rapid advancement in medicine has made people want the best care possible; that care requires training; that training costs money, and the people who get it deserve to feed their families as well as repay their student loans. All of this saves lives, but it's very, very expensive. There are some ways to mitigate this problem, like parish nursing programs, hospice care, empowering people to do more self-health-care, and a general increase in people's willingness to help each other rather than relying on a "medical" solution to social and personal problems.

5. It's a problem of professionalization, part 2. As with #3 above, financial considerations dominate the health care professions. Medicine is simultaneously charitable and lucrative, and in the US, only the insurance industry has any interest in controlling the costs of health care. (And their interest is in controlling health care costs so that they can maximize their own profits. So it's hardly a charitable concern there, either.) Socialized medicine controls costs by . . . well, controlling costs--price controls, government limits on salaries, that kind of thing. This tends to result in a "brain drain"--people either leave the country to practice medicine in a more lucrative environment, or they choose other, more lucrative careers. I don't know how to fix this problem without cultivating something like the standards of my profession--pastors understand that they're getting into a field that will never (or almost never) be very lucrative for them. The "charitable" part dominates their lives. Should that be true of health professionals, too? It could be. But the consequence would be a decrease in that rapid advancement and exceptional care that we've all come to expect.

6. It's an environmental and problem. Our communities are not built to foster exercise in the fresh air. Our food is not grown in a way that maximizes nutrition. Our yards aren't big enough for gardens--only for the McMansions. This requires huge, systemic changes. Where to start?

7. It's a societal problem. Our jobs don't allow us enough time to exercise, build relationships, prepare food from scratch, relax--all the things that the human person needs to be healthy. We value independence, which keeps us from building strong social ties--again, a huge determining factor in personal health. How do you change these things?!?!

8. It's a moral problem. We've come to expect that rapid advancement and exceptional care that I just mentioned. We would find it immoral for society to decide not to advance medical science. We suffer so little, compared to past generations, or to the third world, but we still expect all of our suffering to be healed. It's an irrational, unreasonable expectation, but our entire system is built around it. Our entire system is built on the expectation that all suffering should be eradicated, ASAP. The solution here is to make people more willing to suffer. How do you do that?!?!

And before we add more money, do a SERIOUS housecleaning of Medicare/Medicaid providers. There is SO much cheating of the system going on it is horrifying.

If you look at other nations where gov't takes care of medicine, you'll find lessor care, long (years long) waiting lists and doctors coming to America for training. Social medicine is not the answer.

This is how US health care ranks:

According to the article below, "The US health care system ranks last among other major rich countries for quality, access and efficiency, according to two studies released Tuesday by a health care think tank."

http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/05/15/1198/

And here is another one titled, "US Health Care Ranked Last of 19 Industrialized Nations in Study."

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=15535

And, furthermore....I did a search http://www.hsd.state.nm.us/mad/pdf_files/GeneralInfo/Eligpamphlet.pdf scroll down to page 6 to see financial requirements.... not to say there aren't those that lie and cheat the system....we all know that is true. However, based on the law....these are people that are in need...to be sure. If you know someone you believe to be committing medicaid fraud... it is your duty to turn them in. But just complaining about it....and deciding that, because there is abuse...that the entire system should be eliminated.... denies those that really need it access to medical care...

I realize I might sound harsh, but the level of corruption in NM is very high. I HAVE reported fraudulent behavior. The problem is that NM communities are so small that someone's brother or whatever works for the system and so gets them off. Think old west corruption...it's alive and well in NM. I hate to bad mouth my home state, but after spending some time away from NM I really see this corruption much clearer now.

I realize what you are saying about how I probably don't know even 1% of the people on gov't. assistance. I know there are people who need it and I know what the income guidelines are. I also know that we qualified for several years while dh had a good job and ins. benefits available. I had my son on Medicaid. I couldn't get out of the system. They would NOT let me dis-enroll when dh got a good job with ins. benefits. I did not use the Medicaid further, even though I could have. The gov't uses these social programs to get their hooks in your kids. Here in NM a few years a go CYFD removed an overweight child from her parents. There were no extenuating circumstances. She was on gov't assistance and the dr. was mad that the parent's hadn't kept her on a diet. So the gov't TOOK THE CHILD AWAY! I don't know about you, but I don't want a gov't like that. I don't think the parents were being responsible, but I don't believe they should have had their child taken away.

I understand that the game systems and high dollar items could come from other sources. But if it were me; those things would be sold so my family could eat and receive medical care. It is not the gov't job to make sure that I can eat and take my child to the doctor. It is my husband's and mine responsibility. I know there are truly needy people. I feel for them. I know people can't take their mistakes back, but they need to learn from them.

My kids will not be scarred for life if they don't have a Wii. In fact, I think being over indulgent hurts children. Having a Wii and then taking gov't assistance for food and medical care just teaches the children that desires and wants are more important that needs. We, as a society, are creating these problems. We need to take back our families!

Okay, I'll step off the soapbox. I really do feel for needy people, but I don't think it's the gov't's job to take care of them.

This is how US health care ranks:

According to the article below, "The US health care system ranks last among other major rich countries for quality, access and efficiency, according to two studies released Tuesday by a health care think tank."

http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/05/15/1198/

And here is another one titled, "US Health Care Ranked Last of 19 Industrialized Nations in Study."

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=15535

Thank you for pointing out a fallacy I have heard time and time again. I appreciate the links to the articles. In addition, I take from that article that health care is not great in the other places, even if it is better than here, particularly, with a quick google I find a great deal of articles, particularly on Canada. I will definitely research this area of "elections" more carefully.

I have always wondered about possibly setting up programs to pay for medical education the way there are programs to pay for college education to become a teacher. Someone gets a grant to pay for med school, and in return they have to serve 4 years in a free clinic for low income patients. There are so many pros and cons to such a thing I don;t exactly know if I'm totally for it or against it, but it's an interesting thing to think about.

I think there needs to be some alternative to emergency rooms for people without insurance. People go to our local ER with sore throats and stomach bugs- just because they can not be seen by a regular doc because they don't have either insurance or the money to pay upfront. The ER care is so expensive, and it also is making patients with real emergencies wait longer for care. When people don't pay, those costs are passed on to all of us.

I think there needs to be some alternative to emergency rooms for people without insurance. People go to our local ER with sore throats and stomach bugs- just because they can not be seen by a regular doc because they don't have either insurance or the money to pay upfront. The ER care is so expensive, and it also is making patients with real emergencies wait longer for care. When people don't pay, those costs are passed on to all of us.

There are alternatives; they are called Urgent Care centers. Some are private and some are owned by hospitals (like the one I work for.) FYI, we don't collect payment up front.

Well, I have multiple sclerosis, 1 son w/ type1 diabetes, 1 son with a rare degenerative disorder who is profoundly disabled and medically fragile, and 1 son who was adopted and born 25 weeks premature w/ developmental disabilities and severe lung disease. My husband has stayed with the same company for our children's lives. We have 80/20 insurance and plan our budget to pay the maximum family deductible every year. We pay out the $10,000 by March every year! It's part of our budget, we know it's coming and can't get out of it. We are solidly middle class - not upper middle. We plan for this. We also pay out ourselves for equipment our insurance doesn't cover - $20,000 for a used wheelchair van, a former special ed public school van used to for transport we found on Ebay!

That said, I think there should be health insurance co ops so people aren't dependent on their place of employment for insurance. They can switch jobs easily, go into business for themselves, work for very small businesses etc. I'm not up on the debates, so I don't know if anyone has ever talked about this idea or the pros and cons?!!

After reading some replies, there are many disorders that aren't fixable by lifestyle choices - look at our families list of ailments. Also, our adopted son was fully medicaid as a baby bc of being in our home as a foster son. His medical care was exactly the same as it is now, same doctors, practices, meds, hosptitals. We live in a largish southern city. Medicaid even paid for a very expensive evaluation at a long distance teaching hospital. Seven days of tests, surgery, evaluations etc. I don't at all believe that Medicaid patients suffer care.

I think everyone here has touched on some good points. That is why we have this problem in our country - there are no easy answers.

Some of it is lifestyle.

Some is bad decision making.

Some is corruption.

Some is the profit-driven insurance companies.

Some is the outrageous medical liability.

I wish there was an easy answer. I would really just like to be able to afford insurance for the biggies and pay as we go for most things. The church can't even BEGIN to help pay for healthcare for those who can't afford it.

There are alternatives; they are called Urgent Care centers. Some are private and some are owned by hospitals (like the one I work for.) FYI, we don't collect payment up front.

But if someone comes in there and just doesn't pay, the govt. Just doesn't reimburse you that money you are out. That cost has to get passed down.

I think that the main thing this country should do to fix healthcare is to stop tying it to emplyment. Not only is it ridiculous to portion out healthcare based on one's job, but more importantly (at least is should be to TPTB), saddling business with the responsibility for providing healthcare hampers small businesses and stifles entreprenourship. I am a liberal, but honestly I am shocked that fiscal conservatives aren't jumping up and down screaming for nationalized healthcare simply because of the impact it would have on the economy. Can you imagine what small businesses could do with all the capital that is currently siphoned off to pay for healthcare? My husband's company pays $800 a month for each employee's health insurance, and that is HALF of the fee. We are saddled with the other $800. Also, my husband is unable to pursue his desire to open a small business because, due to some chronic health issues in our family, no one would cover us (at least not at any rate we could afford ... I looked into it once and one company wanted $11,000 a month to cover us!).

I know people love to trot out the idea of "In Sweden they pay 40% taxes to get free healthcare and I would NEVER want to pay that much in taxes!" but if you actually look at how much Americans spend out of pocket on healthcare, we might as well be taxed at 40% and get free healthcare. We'd probably end up paying less overall! And besides, when you factor in all the things like gas tax and sales tax, etc., we are generally taxed at over 40% anyway.

Tara

Does anyone know what country has the best medical coverage? How do they do it?

We have only been without insurance once, 22 years ago. I thought we would never get my oldest son paid off!

Since then we have always had some insurance, and now we have pretty good insurance. I cannot imagine how scary it would be to have children and no insurance. If my kids get sick enough to need to see the doctor I think nothing of taking them in. Prescriptions? Generics cost us $10, all others cost us $20. I cannot imagine life without these benefits.

Something has to change, the gap between haves (having access to affordable medical care and having choices) and have-nots (in regards to medical care) is too steep a divide.

Somebody somewhere must be doing it right. Can't we take our cues from them?

As a Canadian living in Georgia, I have some perspective on both sides of this arguement. Tara, you have hit the nail on the head.....our Income Taxes are lower in GA than they were in Canada, but Medical Insurance (If we could actually qualify for any....that's another story, due to epilepsy and Kidney disease within our family), deductables, and co-pays would eat up much more than the difference in tax savings. One major difference I see between the USA and Canada, in terms of health care expectations, is the insistance on high costing diagnostics prior to utilizing cheaper diagnsotic methods. i.e. Ultrasounds are still used frequently in Canada to diagnose soft tissue conditions...an MRI would only be used if the ultrasound was inconclusive.

My husband recently got a job that has fabulous benefits (government job) and it is amazing the difference in coverage.

What is interesting is now that we have this great coverage I find myself worried that if we go to universal coverage that we will lose it. Even though I think that is the best thing for society.

We have had state and federal govt employee coverage and the difference is like night and day.

I can relate to your last paragraph. I want there to be universal coverage, but I don't want to sacrifice my family's benefits to get it!!! I feel sort of like a caricature of Marie Antoinette, "Let them have basic coverage!" while holding on to my dental and vision and inexpensive copays and inexpensive prescriptions........

One major difference I see between the USA and Canada, in terms of health care expectations, is the insistance on high costing diagnostics prior to utilizing cheaper diagnsotic methods. i.e. Ultrasounds are still used frequently in Canada to diagnose soft tissue conditions...an MRI would only be used if the ultrasound was inconclusive.

That reminds me of my Summer of the Big Tumor. We did start with an MRI? CT scan? (I forgot, but it is the one where they tell you to hold your breath as the big machine slides you in and out of the giant donut shaped thingy.) When that was not clear enough THEN we did the ultrasound.

Of course we were not paying for it, well we paid for it through our premiums, but you know what I mean, so we did not care. But from a cost effective standpoint, that ultrasound should have come first.