Menu

Please help ease my fears about TT- pre algebra ?

Ds has always struggled w/math. He did Saxon in private school, and MUS & CLE at home. He always had a difficult time so out of desperation I tried a friend TT6 last year. He went from slightly below grade level to two years above when we tested last year. Needless to say, I was thrilled. We had not tested yet this year, so I don't know where we stand. My problem is that TT has gotten such a bad rap that I can't shake the thought that it is just not adequate enough, especially for pre-algebra and up.  Dh and I are admittedly science/math lovers, both of us science majors in college. I guess you could say we were kind of snobs when it came to TT because of what we had heard.   

We do supplement with LOF which ds loves, but somehow I'm just not sure this is enough. Since pre-algebra seems to be the time when it is easiest to transition to a different program I feel inclined towards doing something else. Should I switch him? Supplement with something else? He loves TT but I'm just not sure if it is because it is too easy, or it is the stories and humor appealing to his VSL tendency. Am I worrying for nothing? 

Well, we've tried Saxon and LOF but hated both of those. We did Singapore with my 2 older students, but once they hit 6th grade we switched to TT. My boys are medical school and pre-med so I don't think TT is not adequate. I didn't know TT had a bad reputation. I know it has a reputation as being easier, but I guess I don't consider that a bad thing since the student can go at his/her own pace. If you're son likes TT and he's learning, I would stick with it.

Well, we've tried Saxon and LOF but hated both of those. We did Singapore with my 2 older students, but once they hit 6th grade we switched to TT. My boys are medical school and pre-med so I don't think TT is not adequate. I didn't know TT had a bad reputation. I know it has a reputation as being easier, but I guess I don't consider that a bad thing since the student can go at his/her own pace. If you're son likes TT and he's learning, I would stick with it.

Just out of curiosity, did you supplement TT at all? Did your older students go right into college calculus from TT? Did your med student do TT all the way through? 

I guess I kind of have beef with programs that only go up to pre-calc. There seems to be many that do, particularly for homeschool. My public high school went up to calculus for senior year.

My oldest (the med student) did Singapore until 6th grade. Then we looked at Singapore's next program (I don't remember what it is called) and decided to try something else. We tried Saxon and every one of us (Mom, Dad, student) absolutely hated it. It didn't last long. Two months maybe. Then we discovered TT. We loved it. He used it up until pre-Calculus. We got pre-calc when it was brand new to TT and there were many many errors. By this point dh had taken over math and he contacted TT many many times. (They have since corrected the errors, I hear.) So pre-calc was a major pain, but yes, son was able to take college calculus after that.

Regarding LOF, we tried that for daughter who positively hates math and is not a strong math student. First chapter was cute. Second chapter, hello, it's still math, but like word problems or something and totally not cute cuz you're not fooling' her! It's math plain and simple. Forget this Fred dude, she's so done with that!

Oh and no, we did not supplement

And regarding programs that only go up to pre-calc, by that time I'd be ready for my kids to take community college classes any way. I'm big on that. 

Pop on over to the high school board too.  They have been discussing TT there and seems many students have done fine going from  TT pre-Calc to calculus whether in high school or college.  HTH

Blessings,

Pat

Thank you Pat!  

Duh, I should have thought of asking on the HS board. :huh: