Menu

Care and Keeping of You-1 & 2?

Elfknitter.#

So I was looking for a copy of Care and Keeping for You. Last I remember, it was just one book. Now there are two books by two different authors. The only difference I see on Amazon is that #1 is for ages 8 and up while #2 is for ages 10 and up. Does anyone know of any other differences between the two?

I noticed that a while back when referring another mom to the book for her daughter. I thought it was a revamp, but it looks like the second book is more of a sequel. Here's what the author says about it in an interview:

What’s the main difference between the two books?

The original The Care and Keeping of You 1 is a big, broad overview of how to grow up healthfully. We cover nutrition, exercise, hygiene, breasts [Although Natterson didn't author the original volume, she updated it in the process of writing the second book.] The Care and Keeping of You 2 covers all those topics in much, much greater detail. It covers the why and how. Emotional changes in puberty are not really covered in the first book. When girls’ and boys’ bodies change, their hormones also change. A comment or scenario that one day might get no reaction, the next day might get an overblown reaction. I’ve never met a kid who likes how that feels. They don’t like the high highs and the low lows. I spend a lot of time talking about the biology of why this is happening and some things you can do to help feel more in control.

I saw these at B&N about a month ago.  It seems like they broke the original version into 2 books.  Having attempted to use the original with DD9 last fall, I actually appreciate the changes.  (DD9 was fine with the text, but the tampon pictures freaked her out, lol).  Book 1 is written more for girls like my DD-a much broader view of puberty, a good starting off point for girls who aren't ready for quite so much detail.  Book 2 has all the details.  Or, at least, that was my impression after thumbing through both books while DD9 hunted down a book from a series she was mid-way through (the only one from the series the library didn't have).  HTH!

We have both books.  The first one was great when DD was 9 and looking for more information on general stuff.  When she turned 12, I got her the second book which has many more details and specifics on how things work.

These are really well-done books IMO.