Menu

Best Latin program?

eksargent

not speaking from experience, just my personal research. My children are 10 and 8 and we just started Lively Latin (this week). It looks like an easy curriculum to implement and is very easy to understand. I'm new to Latin myself, so I'm excited to learn along side them.

I looked around and settled on this one because, I didn't want to have to buy multiple books and videos AND I didn't want something that was overly serious. Lively Latin looks like it will be fun. I bought the CD b/c someone here found it for 29% off and I figured I could always resell if it doesn't work out...but the online version is, comparatively speaking, reasonably priced.

not speaking from experience, just my personal research. My children are 10 and 8 and we just started Lively Latin (this week). It looks like an easy curriculum to implement and is very easy to understand. I'm new to Latin myself, so I'm excited to learn along side them.

I looked around and settled on this one because, I didn't want to have to buy multiple books and videos AND I didn't want something that was overly serious. Lively Latin looks like it will be fun. I bought the CD b/c someone here found it for 29% off and I figured I could always resell if it doesn't work out...but the online version is, comparatively speaking, reasonably priced.

Deana, I just started LL today and I'm confused! How do you do this? Do you read history, then go to a lesson, or vocabulary? I was just wondering if there was some kind of order to this? I read the intro today, and we picked out their Latin names, but I don't know where to go from there. How are you using it?

hey Steph..

I'm going in order. We did the intro to latin and picked out names on monday...today we did lesson 1 pages 1-4. Tomorrow we'll do the vocab review, make flashcards and listen to the audio file.

Thursday, we'll review the flashcards and listen to the audio file again (5 minutes) and then we'll do Ex 1.1.

Friday - I'll read the History of Romulus and have them do narrations for their History booklets.

and so on and so on. Just going in order. I think she said it should only take 15-20min/day.

That sooooo depends on you! I started dd7 on Prima Latina last November and we are enjoying Latina Christiana now. She enjoys memorizing songs and prayers. We are catholic so we point things out to her about church: lavabo- I wash/lavabo towel in church used when priest says "I will wash my hands in innocence..." Some people find memorizing lists of vocab dry. I approach Latin differently than I do modern languages, in our case German. With a modern language you want to be speaking as soon as possible with more emphasis on phrases than grammar to begin with. So we began with the BBC Muzzy dvds. With Latin, I emphasise the mechanics of inflected language as well as derivatives first; speaking and reading would come second. If you are looking for a more whole language approach, Minimus might be good or http://www.amazon.com/Lingua-Latina-Pars-Familia-

Good Luck,

Michele

hey Steph..

I'm going in order. We did the intro to latin and picked out names on monday...today we did lesson 1 pages 1-4. Tomorrow we'll do the vocab review, make flashcards and listen to the audio file.

Thursday, we'll review the flashcards and listen to the audio file again (5 minutes) and then we'll do Ex 1.1.

Friday - I'll read the History of Romulus and have them do narrations for their History booklets.

and so on and so on. Just going in order. I think she said it should only take 15-20min/day.

Ok, so there's an order to it? I have the hard copy, and it's organized into sections. I just didn't know how many history lessons you should do per week to go with the lessons/vocabulary. Does vocab. A go with all of the lessons 1-1.5? And what about the Word power? What kind of schedule do you do that on? I understand this is on our own pace, but I just don't know which to do when we do it. I would like to be able to utilize all of the stuff we have. Thanks so much!

I've never used LL. (Sounds interesting though)

I love the Canon Press Latin Primer series. They were recommended in the first edition of TWTM, but not the second. I like them because they have been easy for me to teach, even though I have no Latin backround. The set includes: Latin Primers 1, 2 and 3 and Latin Grammar 1 and 2. We start them around 3rd grade.

I have never used Latina Christiana, although many of my friends like it. By the time Memoria Press came out with it, I already owned all the Canon Press books.

We just started Latin for Children and we really like it a lot. We purchased the whole kit: Teacher's Manual, Student Book, Answer Key, Activity Book, Latin Reader, DVDs and CDs.

I am learning Latin along with my son. Here is what we do:

We cover one chapter per week.

Monday: We watch the chants on DVD two or three times. (We keep the audio CD in the car and listen to it on the road!) The video then moves to a 15 minute "lesson" where new concepts are introduced. The instructor is GREAT. He is not at all boring or dry. Actually, he's a little funny and very easy to follow. Then we go over a worksheet together.

Tuesday: We watch the Chants on DVD a few times and practice together. We go over our worksheet from Monday as a review and review some of the material in the student workbook for that chapter. Then we do another worksheet together.

Wednesday: We watch the Chants on DVD a few times and practice together. Then we watch a fun 6-8 minute video clip called "How the West was Unis (won)" It basically applies the things we've been learning in a fun skit type format with puppets. It is very fun to watch!!

We review the worksheet from Tuesday.

Thursday: We watch the Chants on DVD a few times and do some memory drill work of the material we've been learning. We usually make our own flash cards of the material that we're learning for the week. (There are not that many.)There is a super cool and fun activity book that you can get as a supplement. It is not at all necessary, but it is very fun. It has every sort of puzzle and activity you can imagine. My son will do a couple pages worth of activities.

Friday: Day off!

My 8 year old son can follow along easily and really gets it!!! I highly recommend this program. It is fun, thorough, and easy to use.

Good luck in your search for a suitable curriculum!

Angela