Menu

Is what I'm using enough?

jens2sons

I am using the first grade Pathway Readers set and the workbooks that go with the readers.  I'm not sure exactly what it's officially covering if that makes sense. I looked up the website and it doesn't really say.  My son is actually doing quite well with the PR program since we started it though.  Does anyone know what it all covers or it will cover?   I think it's just covering phonics and spelling???  I want to make sure that he gets his grammar in somewhere.  I had been using Language Lessons for Little Ones, but it seems too easy and the assignments take like 5 minutes.  I know it's heading towards the end of the official school year, but I'm just not sure I'm preparing my first grader for what's next.  I may just continue a light schedule through the summer.

I am moving more in to a classical method coming from a CM method as I have been learning more from reading TWTM.  If you can help, I'd really appreciate your thoughts.  

I found a website that explains how the PR's work and its says it works on phonics, vocabulary, reading comprehension and SOME informal grammar.  It suggests using "Climbing to Good English" but I looked it over and it looks almost exactly the same as the reader workbooks except it will go more in to grammar.  I'm afraid it will be overkill with the reader workbooks that I think are necessary.  Does anyone use Language Lessons for Little Ones for teaching those concepts?  Maybe I'm just overthinking this.  Thanks.

I use pathway with workbooks and readers. We use the climbing to good English grammar too. I only required every other story to be done in the workbook after awhile. It was killing my son's love of Peter and Rachel when he knew he would have to do a page after it. We finished CtGE 1 and 2. He learned to write a letter and it continued some phonics practice by respelling s and such. Looking back, I should have done the pathway workbooks fully and skipped the grammar books. Then worked on letters to grandma once a week and wwe1 workbook, four days a week, for first grade. This is what my second son is starting next year.

I am using the first grade Pathway Readers set and the workbooks that go with the readers.  I'm not sure exactly what it's officially covering if that makes sense. I looked up the website and it doesn't really say.  My son is actually doing quite well with the PR program since we started it though.  Does anyone know what it all covers or it will cover?   I think it's just covering phonics and spelling???  I want to make sure that he gets his grammar in somewhere.  I had been using Language Lessons for Little Ones, but it seems too easy and the assignments take like 5 minutes.  I know it's heading towards the end of the official school year, but I'm just not sure I'm preparing my first grader for what's next.  I may just continue a light schedule through the summer.

I am moving more in to a classical method coming from a CM method as I have been learning more from reading TWTM.  If you can help, I'd really appreciate your thoughts.  

The Pathway readers are *heavy* sight-reading. If your dc already knows how to read, I wouldn't bother with the workbooks; the stories are very cute and sweet. :-) If your isn't reading yet, you'd be better off using something phonics-based to teach, such as OPGTR or Phonics Pathways or Alpha Phonics, or Spalding or one of its spin-offs.

A little person his age doesn't really need formal grammar, IMHO. There are only 12 parts of speech and some thingummies like gerunds. I'm sure he'll be fine if you don't mess with grammar this year.

The Pathway readers are *heavy* sight-reading. If your dc already knows how to read, I wouldn't bother with the workbooks; the stories are very cute and sweet. :-) If your isn't reading yet, you'd be better off using something phonics-based to teach, such as OPGTR or Phonics Pathways or Alpha Phonics, or Spalding or one of its spin-offs.

A little person his age doesn't really need formal grammar, IMHO. There are only 12 parts of speech and some thingummies like gerunds. I'm sure he'll be fine if you don't mess with grammar this year.

I originally started using SCM Delightful Reading to teach phonics but really didnt like it so we put it away.  He seems to be doing okay with reading.  I have wondered about how the Pathway readers stack up to other programs.  I tried the original McGuffey Readers that I downloaded for free but he hated them.  I honestly just dont know where to go from here.  I have thought about buying Phonics Pathways but just haven't known what exactly I need for him.  I do know that since I started him on the PR workbooks, he has really improved.  But teaching phonics just isn't there.  I wasn't taught phonics.  I was taught the look-see method (I believe) which presents challenges to me.  Language Lessons for Little Ones is one book that we have and it does cover some phonics .  But I do wish that there is more formal instruction for phonics.   Well, whatever I use, it has to be easy to implement with a very active 6/7 year old boy and not tedious.  Do you know anything about "The Three R's" by Ruth Beechick?