Menu

Killgallon in 5th-6th grade

I'm floundering a bit with writing instruction for my dd. Partly because I don't know how to evaluate if she's where she should be at the end of grade 5, partly because we bombed WWE 4, partly because I'm overwhelmed with the plethora of options.

This year we ditched WWE 4 when we were about 12 weeks in because it was causing tears. For both of us ;) I then purchased Essentials in Writing just because I wanted something more traditional as an experiment and I appreciated that the DVDs took me out of the role of writing teacher. (I wish I had gone with IEW instead....but I didn't).

We flew through EIW and will be wrapping it up in the next 3 weeks. I would like to use Killgallon for the remainder of this year and perhaps into next year or somehow alongside WWS next year and beyond.

Where should I begin?? Elementary Sentence Composing? Grammar for Middle School? After one (both?) of those I'd like to use Paragraphs for Middle School. And I refuse to plan beyond that at this point :p

Any insight? Am I on the right track?

I found Grammar for Middle School to be perfect for 6th grade and plan on Paragraphs for Middle School for 7th.  I think you could also do those in 5th and 6th, provided that she understands the grammatical terminology that is used in the GfMS book.  You can check out the samples and see if you think she's ready for it that way.  Sentence Composing for Middle School is redundant with GfMS, IMO, and GfMS is the better product.

Were you able to jump into SCMS without having done the elementary level?

The elementary version of SCMS is very similar expect that the latter has sentences from more advanced books such as Jurassic Park and The Martian Chronicles, although there are also sentences from children's books such as Harry Potter. The content is completely safe. I would go with SCMC and not the elementary counterpart as I think the authors provide a couple of more clauses and/or phrases. Not sure if I'm remembering correctly since we're away, and I only brought along SCMS and Paragraphs for MS.

Not to steal the OP's thunder, but this is essentially where I am but have a rising 5th grader instead. I purchased the elementary texts, but I am wondering if I should just go ahead and purchase the middle school volumes and start him there. I can use the elementary books with my younger son, so my original purchase is not a waste. What do you all think? Thanks! Our writing background has been a little more varied. We've used WWE 1 and 2, CW Aesop for 3rd, and IEW SWI-A and CAP Writing & Rhetoric - Narrative for 4th. Thank you!

We are using Sentence Composing for Elementary School in sixth next year also.

ETA: From there I was planning on moving to Paragraphs for Middle School and SYRWTLE Book 2 in 7th as I have the Blue Book of Grammar for well, grammar :)

Because you floundered, I would pick something more strict or traditional.  Example: Hewitt's Homeschooling uses Write Source.  This is a primal time to teach the writing process, forms of writing, and proofing & editing.  Killgallon alone is not a writing program.  It is a tool to assist in teaching writing.  As a standalone, it is not enough IMO.  Approach grammar while teaching proof & edit.  Something to think about.  :)  I suggest something different because of your comments.  We still need to teach formal writing techniques and applications.  It sounds like that you have not yet done so.  I would do it now so that you can approach the logic stage writings and essays with more appropriate content and purpose.  Logic stage is the time to use writing to explain.  Good read ... http://www.welltrainedmind.com/classical-education/

writing = communicating a message effectively and clearly with purpose

Thanks ChrissySC - we did get through almost all of WWE and we've done Paragraph Writing Made Easy and then EIW this year. So, we've covered the basic forms of writing - paragraph construction, narrative, descriptive, persuasive, report, etc. - but I would like to add some style to her writing. We will be tackling WWS next year as well.