Menu

Equal Access policy at your local PS?

I am working on a proposal to our local school board to allow HS students to participate in extra-curricular activities e.g. band, chorus, debate team (but not sports - not my can of worms to open on that one!). I live in Georgia where there is no state law regarding the subject, thus each school district can create their own policy. Through research on HSLDA I have found these policies to be known as "Equal Access" policies.

Has anybody recently tackled this issue with your local PS Bd of Ed? Would love some ideas on where to look for a recent discussion of the issue. I seriously doubt my school board wants to be the "guinea pig" for the state, but they are pretty progressive around here, so maybe it could happen.

One problem we ran into was that the organizations that regulate competitions for choirs, for example, require that students who want to participate be enrolled for at least 6 hours. (I assume this is in order to ensure that it's really high school students competing and not hired professionals). For this reason, even though the school would have been cooperative, participation in choir was impossible for a homeschooled student, since that student would have been ineligible to participate in competitions which would have left the choir one singer short.

I could imagine that other organizations face similar constraints that are not in the power of the school district.

PA allegedly has this option, but I don't know how it works, in practice. We are only an easy bike ride from the local school, so I could see our kids doing sports, clubs, or possibly classes at the local school in high school, but I don't know anyone who has actually done it, nor how welcoming the school actually is.

In the past, our local PS did not allow any access at all to homeschoolers. We weren't allowed to participate in any clubs, sports, or other extracurriculars or take any classes.  It was either all in or all out.  Recently, our state passed a law forcing public schools to allow access to extracurricular activities, but we still can't do things like band or choir because they are CO-curricular activities that require a graded class during the school day and our superintendent still won't allow partial enrollment.

In the past, our local PS did not allow any access at all to homeschoolers. We weren't allowed to participate in any clubs, sports, or other extracurriculars or take any classes.  It was either all in or all out.  Recently, our state passed a law forcing public schools to allow access to extracurricular activities, but we still can't do things like band or choir because they are CO-curricular activities that require a graded class during the school day and our superintendent still won't allow partial enrollment.

I will add-school paper/yearbook, drama/theater, and sometimes even athletics are sometimes co-curricular as well. Usually this is done so that teachers can be paid for their time at more than a few hundred dollars for a season, and so it's harder to cut the program entirely (which is what often happens with extracurriculars), but it can make enrolling for an extracurricular difficult.

Weird... Bummer! We have access to all sports (Choir I believe... Band for sure) In your school zone....  We have classes depending on the High school's cooperation as well as available spots. Even the high school students don't necessarily get into foreign language classes their Freshman Year because of space.

One thing I would address, in the proposal or after, is that most schools require their students maintain good grades, good behaviour, etc in order to participate. How would they be able to know the homeschoolers are giving accurate information to the school regarding this (and do expect them to require this, as they require it for the rest of the students on the teams/clubs).