Menu

When to start on Latin

I hate to add another subject, especially another skill that would potentially take daily practice, but I'm coming around to the Latin bandwagon. My question is, at what age should we start? My son is a very normal 6 yr old. Reading just at, or barely below "average". Start now? Wait a year or two? Wait until middle school?

What age did you start? How any days a week? What program? I'm looking at Song School Latin right now, it looks like it can be done 1 day a week...

For my kids, 3rd grade has been about the right age.  They have a couple of years of English grammar under their belts and they can write comfortably.  If you're going to start very young, I would go with something fun and vocab-based.  I feel like they need a good English grammar base to jump into conjugations and declensions.

You can easily wait until at least 4th grade. If your child is excited to start sooner, that's a reason to do it earlier. Otherwise, understand that they will learn virtually nothing useful in those first few years, and probably add unnecessary anxiety to your day.

IMHO :)

I'll sing with the choir.

We started Latin as a family with a third grader and a first grader. They are now 25 and 22 years old and the 25 year old retained more into adulthood. The current K'er has played around with GSWL, but it goes back on the shelf when he gets tired of it and/or when he needs more time for one of the three Rs.

For me, it depends on the kid in question. DS12 started when he was 6-7; DD11 started when she was 9; & DD9 just started. DS7 hasn't started, yet.

My barometer is when they're beyond phonics & reading at least on "grade level". I think they should be able to comfortably write as well.

We waited until my DS asked for it - which was 6th grade.   He has been able to do DSWL completely on his own, and will continue with an independent-study type of Latin course for 7th & 8th grades, then likely switch to Spanish in high school.   This has worked very well for us.

When my kids were in 3rd grade, *I* wasn't the one ready to add another subject.   But most of my homeschooling friends who follow a classical model of education do start around 3rd grade.

I tried a few months ago an only picked it back up this week. It's going amazingly well but LegoMan is now solidly working on a 3rd-5th grade level for LA subjects (minus reading which he's significantly further ahead on). I'm glad we dropped it. I think his retention (and my stress) is going to be far better going forward.