Menu

Have you successfully combined children in a grammar program?

alisoncooks

I want to start some formal grammar next year with oldest DD (will be 3rd).  

I would love to have both girls go through a program together (and teach grammar only 1x a day).  I have been looking at Easy Grammar 2 and wondering if I could start them both there and then just progress on...

Has anyone had any success combining children in a grammar program?  

Combining in something other than FLL -- which I realize lends itself quite well to combining.  But I cannot bring myself to be interested in FLL.  

If we did Easy Grammar 2, I'd do it orally/on the whiteboard.

Looking at your signature, the 2nd child is 5.5yo, and I assume would be starting 1st grade, while older child would be starting 3rd grade. Unless you have a very advanced 5.5yo, I would not recommend it; at that young age most DC need to be focusing on getting solid and fluent with reading, and are being exposed to phonics for early spelling. Learning grammar is best tackled after the student is fluent in those areas. Lots of families don't even start a formal grammar program until grade 4 or even 5, in order to get a very solid foundation in the other LA areas.

Another reason I would not combine for Grammar: even if the younger sibling WAS working at the same level as the older one for Math or LA, it's just asking for fueling competition, hurt feelings and frustration. Those two subject areas are the ones children are most sensitive about and really need to each have their own program to prevent upset.

I WOULD combine siblings of these ages in lots of other subject areas -- History, Geography, Science, Art, Music, Foreign Language… But not Math or the Language Arts areas. Just my 2 cents worth!

BTW -- Most grammar can be done in about 15 min., and just 3x/week, esp. if you are doing a lot of it orally, so Grammar does not have to eat up much of your school day / school week. :)

Warmest regards, Lori D.

Good points about keeping them separate.  (Youngest is already a hair-breadth from passing oldest in reading/writing skills... I certainly don't want to add any pressure/competition there...)

Yes, I'm thinking ahead toward 1st and 3rd.  Honestly, I probably wouldn't even bother with grammar 'til 3rd or 4th, but I'm still a little shell-shocked from the standardized test oldest DD took last week.  It really shook her up, the involved editing that was expected of her (we've done no formal grammar yet). :(  

I am hoping to avoid that with youngest.

We also have Language Lessons for Today 2 waiting in the wings -- (MFW's version of PLL).  I think it looks lovely.  What do you say about using this with both kids and then having the oldest go through Easy Grammar (or the like)?

We also have Language Lessons for Today 2 waiting in the wings -- (MFW's version of PLL).  I think it looks lovely.  What do you say about using this with both kids and then having the oldest go through Easy Grammar (or the like)?

Alas, no experience with any of these programs except Easy Grammar, so I don't feel qualified to comment on your overall plan. :)

My one thought on Easy Grammar: very "rote". It didn't really teach grammar to our DSs, or stick with them. I can see maybe using the Daily Grams (also by the Easy Grammar author) as a possible grammar review supplement… But no, Easy Grammar really didn't do much here. On the other hand, it works for other families; it really depends on the individual student.

BEST of luck in your Grammar adventures! Warmest regards, Lori D.

My two,are 2 years apart and 1 year apart in school. No problems combining for us. For 2nd and 3rd we did fll3 (their first intro to any grammar) no problem. Next year they did R&S4 together with no problems. This year I wanted to go half pace since grammar continually repeats itself with just a bit more complexity each year. We are doing hake 6 at half pace, but both kids want to go back to R&S next year so we will do level 6.

The key IMO is that grammar repeats itself with a little more complexity each year. So don't sweat it too much :)

I wouldn't sweat it too much yet at that age.  It does repeat itself every year just adding a bit more.

I didn't do a formal English grammar program till my older two were in 5th (but we did do lots of other grammar stuff - Mad Libs, Schoolhouse Rock, foreign langauges, and Editor in Chief - so they did have a good base).

Then in 5th, we went straight to Easy Grammar 6.  I taught every lesson (there are detailed teaching instructions in the TG).  I get the feeling a lot of people use EG as a workbook program - there is no teaching in the workbooks, just instructions; I can see how it would be easy just to fill in blanks without real understanding or retention.  I taught every lesson, then we went over and corrected every worksheet we did (there are many; I did skip multiple worksheets on the same topic if they got it the first time or two).

Now, about the doing it together.  My younger dd, who is 2.5 years younger, just sat in the room and watched for a long time, then asked if she could do the worksheets too.  And wow, she could, no problem.  So I guess I did do them all together.

We never did another year of EG.  It was great, but no need to do the same thing all over, because for us it did stick.  We switched to MCT but I don't really use the actual Grammar books, we use the Practice books and the 4-level analysis which analyze the whole sentence at one time rather than focusing on just one skill or part at a time, which keeps things fresh.  We still eliminate prepositional phrases first, though. :)