Menu

Teaching Textbooks PreA & AoPS PreA - at the same time

I have wanted to ask this for over a week but I keep thinking it sounds dumb.

I want to continue with Teaching Textbooks because it's working runs right now. She has done LifePac (bleh!) then Horizons (not enough explanation ) and now TT. She's doing well and advanced for her age but not super advanced.

I am interested in AoPS PreA to run along side TT PreA to see if she leans towards a harder (is that the appropriate word?) way of processing. I know that most folks that use AoPS are coming from Singapore or Math Mammoth or Saxon but I can't find anyone that have come from Teaching Textbooks.

Thanks, Michelle

I'm in a similar situation, though with my older in Math 7 TT. I've thought about what to do for PreA. Come 6th Grade he'll be done with TT PreA and ready for Algebra 1. But I read something the other day linked in another thread (I think about Saxon math) and it said to be careful about rushing to accelerate kids to Algebra, because they need strong foundational skills for Algebra and most of the math they will be doing in life is of the middle school variety. AoPS is a very rigorous program and I'd be hesitant to run it concurrently with TT. Why not finish TT first then move on to AoPS?  That's what I'm considering for my older son. Even if that puts him at Algebra 1 in 8th Grade he'll still be finished with the TT through Pre-Cal in 11th grade and can dual enroll for 12th.

I am interested in AoPS PreA to run along side TT PreA to see if she leans towards a harder (is that the appropriate word?) way of processing. I know that most folks that use AoPS are coming from Singapore or Math Mammoth or Saxon but I can't find anyone that have come from Teaching Textbooks.

As these two programs are very different in challenge level (like complete opposite ends of the spectrum) and probably also different in scope and sequence, I don't think it makes sense to run them concurrently.  It makes more intuitive sense to me to use a middle-of-the-road prealgebra instead, but if you wanted to do both TT and AoPS, I'd do all of TT first and then AoPS.

Note that operations with negative numbers are a prerequisite for AoPS Prealgebra.  I don't know where those come up in the TT sequence.

Also note that you can use Alcumus in addition to any other prealgebra program.  It's free.

Why not finish TT first then move on to AoPS?  That's what I'm considering for my older son. Even if that puts him at Algebra 1 in 8th Grade he'll still be finished with the TT through Pre-Cal in 11th grade and can dual enroll for 12th.

Are you suggesting that you'd use AoPS Prealgebra and then move back to TT?  That wouldn't make much sense to me either.

Are you suggesting that you'd use AoPS Prealgebra and then move back to TT?  That wouldn't make much sense to me either.

To me, what wouldn't make sense is switching him permanently from a program that he is doing well in (and that he continues to test well in compared to his local PS peers). :)

I want to be sure he has a strong foundation in MS math before moving on to HS, so we will go for a rigorous review (AoPS or other) before moving on to Algebra in TT. I also simply don't have time for a teacher intensive program year after year in a subject he already does well in. Gives me more time to focus on his problem areas.

if he is not a really keen on maths person maybe AOPS would be overdoing it? Perhaps jousting armadillos or one of the traditional texts. It would be a shame to undo the good work by freaking him out with something so different to what he is used to.