Menu

Is Math Mammoth the only Singapore style program with more repetition?

We're halfway through the Standards edition 1B.  It has really helped DS love math due to the colorful pictures and even the black and white "extra" pictures used to decorate some of the pages in the workbook.  The program we used last year had none of that and I've found these pictures are a real plus for keeping up DS's enthusiasm! 

However, we're using the textbook, workbook, Extra Practice book, and suggestions in the home instructor's guide and I'm still not feeling that DS is getting the practice he needs on some of the concepts.  I feel we need a program with more review. 

Is Math Mammoth the only Singapore-style program for this?  My only issue with it is that I hear that it's black and white with no extra pictures to brighten DS's math day.  Are there any other programs that would better fit what we're looking for....Singapore style and interesting format/graphics?

For extra practice - we're talking just adding and subtracting, right? - I'd simply find random workbooks at Target or whatever for additional practice.  I wouldn't leave the Singapore instruction just to get extra practice if you think it's needed.

What about the Singapore CWP and IP?

FWIW, MM doesn't have tons of cutesy pictures, but there is some color - depends on whether you print in B&W or color.  MM could also be used for extra practice on top of SM; just skip the lesson part.

What concepts do you think he's not getting?  (Place value?) (how many could there be?  concepts as different from math facts)  Maybe there's an alternative presentation of the concept that you could find someplace that would seal the deal for him?

I use MM for my 2nd grader..... I have it printed in b&w.... then I go through with my highlighter outlining some boxes or things that I know would be colored. I don't do this all of the time and when I don't, I catch my ds doing it instead! I've got him hooked on highlighters!

Singapore 1 is the lightest of all the Singapore levels I've seen (I've used 1A through 8A). Singapore 2 is much meatier.

I used Right Start B & C along side SM 1 & 2 for my DS (my oldest started Singapore at 3A after doing RS B&C). But that's a fairly expensive way to go.

Critical Thinking Mathematical Reasoning B is colorful and while I haven't personally used it, I've heard good things about it as a supplement. http://www.criticalthinking.com/mathematical-reasoning-level-b.html

Silly, perhaps, but I'm in the middle of making a math packet for my daughter and I'm making it cutesy with stickers. Perhaps use stickers? I also just thought of printing it out on a light pink color. When given a choice my daughter always chooses pink. I don't know enough about math programs to answer your question.

We use Singapore standards.  Also tried MM, used their topics books to supplement addition and subtraction facts.  Best supplement for us has been Reflex Math (online subscription) to really cement facts.  We dropped the extra practice book in favor of Reflex.  We do it simultaneously with SM, so we move on conceptually in SM, but keep working facts drills via Reflex.  It's working well here!  If it is just everything needs upkeep/spiral style, the "Review" and "Practice" sections in SM2 are much more thorough than in SM1, in my opinion.

It's quite a bit more expensive than singapore primary and MM, but Math in Focus is singapore-style math. It is set up with the textbook & workbook A and B for each level like Singapore Primary. If you use teachers guides, definitely looked for them used on amazon or ebay to make it more affordable. :)