Menu

History the WTM way & WWS1?

We are on week 16 of WWS1 and starting logic Ancient History.  If I do history WTM way, will this be to much for us?  I was also considering BiblioPlan, but using the companion as the go to get info from?

I am the type that will try to do everything and then more!!

So Please,  Any Suggestions or let me know how you did History with WWS???

Thank you so much

Particularly with a 5th grader, doing WWS plus the full WTM history recommendations for logic stage would be too much writing, IMO.  I'd pick one or the other, but not try and do both.  WWS teaches outlining, so you wouldn't need to do outlining for history.  You might keep in the basic literary analysis/writing about books, but let WWS stand in for the summaries and outlines.

Thank you for your help!  Okay, my daughter is in 6th grade and 11yrs old.  But I think your right it would be to much.

So I think I am going to have her

1) read the Biblioplan companion and list the important facts

2) Timeline

3) Maps

But for the notebook that SWB recommends would I still have her do the additional reading? Yes, right? This is where the basic literary analysis/writing about books comes in?

Cause I was also thinking for reading doing Classical House of Learning Literature guides Logic stage Ancient and this is different, right?

That sounds good to me.  From what I know of the CHoLL material, you would do those books and the writing activities and that would cover the additional reading/literary analysis that SWB recommends.  I wouldn't do CHoLL and then do more reading and writing on top of it. The mom who wrote CHoLL is trying to make it easy to implement SWB's recommendations, if I understand correctly.

When eldest did Ancients this past year, she used History Odyssey's Level 2 plans (heavily tweaked by me). It included a lot of outlining & writing short narrations. She started WWS1 at the end of that year. When I required writing in history this year, it built off of her WWS1 lessons and I cut out a day (or two) of WWS1 lessons on those weeks. (This means we still won't be finished with WWS1 when this school year ends. But I'm ok with that.) 

If you are going to add in the CHOLL reading, I wouldn't require the lit analysis (worksheets/summary) yet in written form. Just use the CHOLL info to TALK about the books. After you do the Lit Analysis section in WWS1, you can start to write about the books the way she was taught in WWS1 if you want.

This is the way I was planning to use it, but I wasn't even thinking about when she learns how to do it in WWS1, thanks!!

If you are going to add in the CHOLL reading, I wouldn't require the lit analysis (worksheets/summary) yet in written form. Just use the CHOLL info to TALK about the books. After you do the Lit Analysis section in WWS1, you can start to write about the books the way she was taught in WWS1 if you want.

Okay, but I am still confused about the History Notebook?  :bigear: How would I have her do that?

This is the way I was planning to use it, but I wasn't even thinking about when she learns how to do it in WWS1, thanks!!

Okay, but I am still confused about the History Notebook?  :bigear: How would I have her do that?

I think what you described  - the list of facts, the maps, and the timeline - would be perfect!  And then you can just add any of the worksheets/questions/dictations/summaries or whatever you end up using from CHOLL.

I think what you described  - the list of facts, the maps, and the timeline - would be perfect!  And then you can just add any of the worksheets/questions/dictations/summaries or whatever you end up using from CHOLL.

So, CHOLL (Logic) is a book list where the (awesome) author has put together vocab lists, background info, and some reading "discussion questions" for you to talk about the book with your child. (The suggested answers are there for you - if you didn't read the book with them.) She also suggests a written summary / narration of what the story is about. I'd probably skip this or just do it orally until you do the Lit Analysis section in WWS1, as I said before.

She also has a dictation selection or two for each book. These could be used for copywork instead, skipped altogether, or done exactly as she suggests.

The History Notebook is a binder (for ease of explanation) with sections for Outlines (or summaries); Great Men & Women; Wars, Conflicts, & Politics; Inventions & Technology, Religion (include Myth in this timeframe); Daily Life; Cities & Settlements; Primary Sources; and Arts, Architecture, and Great Books.

For you - it could be broken into your List of Facts, BooksMaps, and Timeline. If you want to break down your "list of facts" into sections for better clarity, I'd suggest for this time they be something like "Summaries/Outlines," "Men & Women," "Inventions/Arts/Architecture," and "Religion/Mythology." You don't need all the sections suggested in SWB's notebook. Your Book section would include any lit analysis papers she does or just a list of books she read.

Does that help?

We are using WWS1 and History Odyssey Level 2 Early Modern. It is a lot of writing between the two, and often, DD needs to do some additional research for one or both of them in order to do the essays. On the one hand, they spiral around each other and reinforce skills in both, but otoh, it can be a lot. I will have her skip things sometimes or do a shorter summary instead of an essay.