Menu

Financial Appeals: Your experiences this year?

Jenny in Florida

We sent in a letter to my son's current top choice asking for a little more aid sometime last week. We haven't yet heard back from them. While I wait, I figured I'd ask you all about your experiences appealing aid offers.

I'm specifically curious about whether your appeals were successful and how and when you were notified of the results?

Thanks!

The college my daughter attended was in the middle of the pack as regards financial aid offers; however, we sent an appeal for more aid and included financial aid offers from two of the schools offering far better aid. They ultimately increased their aid by another $2500.  Bear in mind though, that this additional grant was good for only one year

As I recall, my daughter did not hear from the college until about the 30th of the month.  We were on pins and needles.

Regards,

Kareni

We rec'd an additional $2K per year plus one year $2500 perkins loan - making it $3K less than his 2nd choice,, waitlisted at his 3nd choice, but still $6K per year more than his 4th choice.  The crew coach at the college recommended my son try a second appeal including the exact award/acceptance pkgs offered by other colleges.  I attached the coach's email to the 2nd appeal email I sent - should hear by the end of next week.  I wish I could justify taking out additional loans so he could go to his 1st or 2nd choice as they seem to be better fits for him..... but an extra $25 his making this impossible to justify.  I'm up nights worrying about this!

Myra

We are in the midst of this now (for our daughter who has not yet begun college), but they seem to be working quickly and I'm thinking we'll have a final answer within two weeks or so.

We also put in an appeal at a college where my other daughter is already a full-time student and in fact has just her senior year left.  They told me they will not be processing her appeal until this summer, but I think that's unusual?

I think it's interesting that $2500 is a common amount.  That would definitely help!

We received an  extra $2K in scholarships, renewable over the 4 years. We had to submit documentation about our financial situation, as my husband's job is ending in May and we're not sure what's next. . . . . . . that extra $2K was greatly helpful, for sure.