Menu

Have you used HoD Revival to Revolution? Tell me about it!

Bensmom

We are currently working on Sonlight core G (world history part 1 of 2). While we have enjoyed many of the books this year, it is a bit heavy. I would like something like Sonlight, with great literature, but a little lighter and with notebooking or hands-on activity scheduled in the IG. (I have added SotW activities this year).

I have never used HOD. If you have used SL and HOD (particularly for upper grades) how do they compare? (I have read some old WTM discussion, but the comparisons seem more for the K and 1st grade set).

If you have used HOD Revival to Revolution, can you tell me about your experience and strengths/weaknesses of the program? What do you think about the student pages? Is there copy work everyday? Are there activities or just notebooking? What ages did you use this program with and what did your dc think of the program?

What is the spine for this program?

Thanks!

Have you looked at the samples on their website?  You are able to download the introduction and 1 week of lesson plans.  As far as I know, the lesson plans follow a similar format all year, so the 1 week sample gives a good idea of the assignments.

My 8th grade dd is using Rev to Rev this year. She has told me repeatedly that she has learned the most history (and remembered it) this year over any other year. We have loved all the readers and the combination of all the books have made for a great year. HOD works best when there is proper placement, and I think we accomplished that this year because my dd has been able to do a lot of the guide independently.

We are currently working on Sonlight core G (world history part 1 of 2). While we have enjoyed many of the books this year, it is a bit heavy. I would like something like Sonlight, with great literature, but a little lighter and with notebooking or hands-on activity scheduled in the IG. (I have added SotW activities this year).

I have never used HOD. If you have used SL and HOD (particularly for upper grades) how do they compare? (I have read some old WTM discussion, but the comparisons seem more for the K and 1st grade set).

If you have used HOD Revival to Revolution, can you tell me about your experience and strengths/weaknesses of the program? What do you think about the student pages? Is there copy work everyday? Are there activities or just notebooking? What ages did you use this program with and what did your dc think of the program?

Thanks!

Here's a link to see the introduction and one week's worth of lesson plans:

http://www.heartofdakota.com/revival-to-revolution.php

Here's a link to see all of the books used in the program, including the spines:

http://www.heartofdakota.com/revival-to-revolution-packages.php

Thanks!

I haven't used Rev to Rev yet but noticed that some of your questions were of a more general nature and thought maybe I could help.  I have used SL in the past with some of my older kids so feel like I can compare the two.  The biggest difference I have noticed is that HOD's assignments are more skill-specific than SL's.  SL has a lot of reading and discussion.  I think the only "middle-school"  SL core I used is Core G (back when I used it I think it was called Core 7). In general, the pattern seemed to be lots of reading with a weekly writing assignment.  In HOD there are specific skills practiced repeatedly in each box of the guide. 

I'll use the Res to Ref guide as an example as that's the one that my 12yods is doing this year (and is the highest HOD guide I've used).  In a one-week period, for his history box, he is assigned to orally narrate to me on one day, complete set of questions regarding an historical figure on the next day, do a simple map the next day and a detailed written narration on the last day of the week.  That's just for the one box. He also has other boxes that rotate between geography, timeline, research, and other independent activities that all tie closely to the history for that week.  There is also a weekly hands-on project spread over three days.  That doesn't count the additional things scheduled for devotional Bible Study, Poetry and Art Appreciation.  

If I were you, I would download and print the sample weeks available from the Sonlight year you are interested in and the HOD guide you are interested in and compare them side by side.  I love, love, love all the books in SL . . . in fact, I just ordered Core 300 to use for my 17yods next year because he is ahead of the HOD scheduled production.

As far as the spine for Rev to Rev it looks like George Washington's World is the main history spine, along with The Story of Napoleon.  Here's the direct link to the books needed for the guide (I know you've probably already seen this page but just in case you were having trouble).  http://www.heartofdakota.com/revival-to-revolution-packages.php  and here's the link to the sample pages for the guide  http://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/revtrev_at-a-glance1.pdf  

You asked about the notebook pages and I have to say that over the years I have used a lot of different notebooking pages and HOD's are by far the most beautiful and best quality that I have personally seen.  In fact, I almost winced when my 10yods started using his Creation to Christ pages a few months ago because his handwriting is, well . . . not beautiful and I hated to see those pages scribbled on.  They are inspiring him to greatness though because he's intent on making his notebook look good.  I shouldn't have had such little faith :)  

You also asked about copywork and I can't answer about the specific guide you are looking at but from Res to Ref there is probably some sort of copywork everyday, whether it's in the history, independent history, science or Bible Study boxes.  I'm not sure about Rev to Rev.  I'm anxiously waiting for our homeschool conference to buy the next guide :)

I hope that helps and that I didn't annoy you by jumping in when I haven't actually use the year you are interested in.  I felt like some of your questions were more general HOD questions rather than specifically about Rev to Rev.  Hopefully someone will jump in to help you that has actually used that particular year.