Menu

4th and 6th Writing and Rhetoric?

threeofakind

Hello- So after seeing many threads talking about this program, I am very interested in using it next year.  However, I would like to only use 1 writing program and adjust as needed.  My 6th grader struggles with writing but I do feel he is a slightly more advanced writer than my 4th grader- but not a lot.  So I am just wondering which book to get- the first 2 state they are for 4th or 5th and the 3rd coming out says 4th or 5th, so I am just not sure where to start?  What would you do?  Thanks for your thoughts!   :001_smile:

There are a lot of sample pages to look and see for yourself.

I will be using the first and second with my rising 4th grader, but some of the things look so fun I will have my rising 7th grader do as well. She is actually advanced in writing but I think she will enjoy having something fun and light to do occasionally to balance the rigor of the rest of her work. (They are currently 3rd and 6th.) I also want to do the last activity in the fable book with them and write my own fable, too, that looks fun! My son will need some help and some scribing, but he loves fables and I think he will enjoy it as well, although it will be a bit of a stretch for him, we are finishing up phonics for him and just started grammar this year so I have not done any writing with him yet, I will do a bit our last month of school this year, probably something boring so he will be even more excited about Fable!!

When samples for book 4 come out I will see what I think. If it looks like something my daughter could benefit from or enjoy I will buy it this year, otherwise I will wait until next year, book 3 looks like too much for my son to do until 5th grade, and each book looks like it gets a bit more difficult.

There are a lot of sample pages to look and see for yourself.

I will be using the first and second with my rising 4th grader, but some of the things look so fun I will have my rising 7th grader do as well. She is actually advanced in writing but I think she will enjoy having something fun and light to do occasionally to balance the rigor of the rest of her work. (They are currently 3rd and 6th.) I also want to do the last activity in the fable book with them and write my own fable, too, that looks fun! My son will need some help and some scribing, but he loves fables and I think he will enjoy it as well, although it will be a bit of a stretch for him, we are finishing up phonics for him and just started grammar this year so I have not done any writing with him yet, I will do a bit our last month of school this year, probably something boring so he will be even more excited about Fable!!

When samples for book 4 come out I will see what I think. If it looks like something my daughter could benefit from or enjoy I will buy it this year, otherwise I will wait until next year, book 3 looks like too much for my son to do until 5th grade, and each book looks like it gets a bit more difficult.

Yes I was thinking along the same lines- this would be something fun for him (I hope) and maybe have him not do all of it but parts of it along the way- I think doing something light and fun will be good, thanks for the confirmation- I'm glad someone else is thinking along the same lines!  He will have other writing to do, so this will be the lighter of it!

The first two books are 3rd/4th, the next two are 4th/5th. :)

And of course I typed too fast and missed, thanks for catching that!   :thumbup1:

Thanks ladies!

My children are currently in 3rd & 5th and I am using book 1 for both. My 5th grader works a quicker pacer, its a little easier for him, but he is still getting so much from it. I asked the publisher and he did tell me that books build on each other. He said you "can" start at any level but that they do build and that they have 6th, 7th & 8th graders who start a book 1 too. 

We plan to do them in order, with my older one just moving though quicker. 

I think you can definitely use them with a 4th and 6th grader, but not necessarily together - the 6th grader might move more quickly.  I'm doing Narrative 2 (the 3rd book) with my 6th grader at double speed, and she loves it so far! It's mostly review, but it's fun for her, and the easy content of the assignments is letting her have fun with the language and use some of her Killgallon sentence-level style skills.  I didn't really realize how much of a difference that would make.  I spent a lot of this year being kind of frustrated that her writing sounded pretty immature, but I was having her write about difficult and complex topics in history and literature, and she had to put so much energy into organizing and explaining the content, she didn't have anything left for style.  Now that she is working on easy content, she's having more fun with style.  

Note to self:  Don't expect a kid to do 2 hard new things at the same time.  D'oh!  :banghead:

My 2nd grader is working on Fable at 1/2 speed.  I scribe for her part of the time, on the longer assignments that take a lot of "thinking" energy.  So yes, I think these books are usable by a wider range of students than just the grades listed on the cover.