Menu

Can you help me with a gift?

Danestress

I need something for my MIL's 80th.  She used to be perky and energetic, and always loved whatever was new and trendy.  But her health has been bad and she has been on prednisone for 16 months.  She's all puffy and miserable, her spirits are down, and she has anemia so bad that she can hardly manage her days.  Like most old people, she's had her fill of candles, lotions, robes, flowers etc.  She doesn't want to cook or garden - she's just in a 2 bedroom apartment.

She has no one but us really - moved her a few years ago and hasn't made friends.  DH is an only child.  So I think as far as making an "event" of her birthday, probably the family having dinner is about all she wants.  And she already told me that the Keurig machine we gave her last year was so awesome and she loves it so much that we should just skip any kind of present this year:)   She's so funny that way.  

DH sees her pretty much every day.  I take her to a lot of doctor appointments.  I know she feels loved, but I was thinking of getting something for her that sort of represents healing, protection, or luck.  She is superstitious - reads her horoscope every day.  We are Christians, and I find that weird (the fact that her horoscope seems to actually have significance to her), but I am comfortable with giving her something that for her would represent some hope and healing although there might be some things that would make me feel uncomfortable.   

I thought about a guardian angel token, but they all seem sort of cheap online.  I'm really open to ideas from whatever culture that would be something she could hold or wear or look at, that would signify something positive - healing, energy, luck. 

I know this sounds disjointed but  I guess I am thinking maybe something awesome will pop into someone's mind. 

How about some music from her youth?

Tonight I was listening to Songs & More Songs By Tom Lehrer.

From Wikipedia:

"Thomas Andrew "Tom" Lehrer (/ˈlɛr.ər/; born April 9, 1928) is an American singer-songwriter, satirist, pianist, and mathematician. He has lectured on mathematics and musical theater. He is best known for the pithy, humorous songs he recorded in the 1950s and 1960s."

You might know his Poisoning Pigeons in the Park song.

Regards,

Kareni

Himalayan Salt Lamp.  They are said to purify the air like a deionizer.  They give a nice gentle glow which make a nice night light.  They can have oils added for aromatherapy.

Check on Amazon.  Sorry I can't link right now, it freezes my computer.

How about some music from her youth?

Tonight I was listening to Songs & More Songs By Tom Lehrer.

From Wikipedia:

"Thomas Andrew "Tom" Lehrer (/ˈlɛr.ər/; born April 9, 1928) is an American singer-songwriter, satirist, pianist, and mathematician. He has lectured on mathematics and musical theater. He is best known for the pithy, humorous songs he recorded in the 1950s and 1960s."

You might know his Poisoning Pigeons in the Park song.

Regards,

Kareni

thanks for that suggestion.  DH was going to buy her a docking station with speakers for mother's day and load her new iPhone up with some music, so I will put that on the list.  He is going to have to teach her to use it - that will be the hard part. 

Some things that came to mind while reading your post

Healing - essential oils. Find one that is linked to something she could use benefits from and tell her how to use it (a little goes a long way if it's pure)

Protection - blessed item (depending on her specific beliefs)

Luck - quick google search listed some items associated with luck. http://voices.yahoo.com/27-popular-good-luck-charms-symbols-around-1268943.html?cat=7 Perhaps a pretty knick knack (dolphin, etc.).

Gift card for a place that offers take out so you could pick it up for her?

Coffee mug with images of family or her name or sweet message? One of the coffee mugs you plug into the cigarette lighter to keep her drink warm on the way to the doctor? That might be totally unnecessary depending on distance/time of day lol just came to mind with the whole coffee thing.

Sorry if that doesn't spark any ideas.

Essential oils might be good, and I will goggle about protection and blessed items.  She doesn't have really defined beliefs, but she does just seem to latch onto whatever is encouraging.  If Oprah liked it, that was gold:)  Thanks for the suggestion.

Himalayan Salt Lamp.  They are said to purify the air like a deionizer.  They give a nice gentle glow which make a nice night light.  They can have oils added for aromatherapy.

Check on Amazon.  Sorry I can't link right now, it freezes my computer.

Great idea!  I think she would really like one of those!

Bach Flower's Rescue Remedy--the drops. Sometimes this time of the year you can find them in a gift format, with a chiffon bag and a little vase or something like that.

Or how about Dr. Hauschka's bath oil? https://store.drhauschka.com/naturalskincare/Limited_Edition_Bath_Essence_Kit__4x_0_34_fl_oz/i_1_0_/_BEK.aspx

Also a great idea! I KNEW you all would help. This would be good just as a little gift on a day I know she needs a lift. Actually, this would be sort of nice to have on hand for lots of sudden problems for friends and family.

Milagros!! They make a great gift in a pretty little box. She can choose which one she needs at that moments and hold it, or put it under her pillow or bed. I love them! I sold them for years and I know a lot of people find a lot of comfort in them. 

This is what they look like: http://www.milagrosgallery.com/products/milagro-assorted

Other small loving things to hold: 

http://www.sundancecatalog.com/category/handmade+jewelry/jewelry+accessories.do?nType=1

http://www.sundancecatalog.com/category/sundance+catalog+outlet/jewelry/accessories.do?vabp=all&nType=2

hth