Menu

easy pastry recipes needed

HappyLady

I'm thinking about doing a brunch menu for Easter.  I'm not a baker and not a sweets person, but I'm really in the mood to make some sort of pastry.  I don't want to have to make anything from scratch, though.  :)  I'm thinking, buy some pastry puff dough, fill it with something easy to make, and bake.  But I want it to look like I spent a lot of time making it.  :lol:  

Anyone have any suggestions or am I asking for too much?  :)

I am going to be negative here. The only decent puff pastry dough I have found is Trader Joe's -- it is made with actual butter. The others I have found have crazy ingredients and, for me at least, leave an unpleasant waxy taste. Check the ingredients -- the only fat should be butter. The negative is that the TJ puff pastry is seasonal only, and gone :-( Let me know if you find a good dough.

TJ does have a decent regular dough. I just made a delicious ham, leek and gruyere quiche with it. Perhaps you could try some mini pastries with regular dough.

One pretty puff pastry dish is a Pithiviers, filled with an almond cream. Quite easy and nice looking if you score the pastry in a traditional pattern. Lots of you tubes on this.

For regular pastry, you might want to consider free form tarts as well as things that need molds.

Puff pastry dough is super easy to make on your own.  Seriously.  Less effort than going to a store to buy it.  pm me if you'd like a recipe.  

Also, I make something called butterhorns and they're super easy as well.  Three ingredients and absolutely fantastic!  ditto on the recipe. 

Puff pastry dough is super easy to make on your own. Seriously. Less effort than going to a store to buy it. pm me if you'd like a recipe.

Also, I make something called butterhorns and they're super easy as well. Three ingredients and absolutely fantastic! ditto on the recipe.

I completely agree. Cream puffs, profiteroles, etc. are very easy.

Puff pastry dough is super easy to make on your own.  Seriously.  Less effort than going to a store to buy it.  pm me if you'd like a recipe.  

Also, I make something called butterhorns and they're super easy as well.  Three ingredients and absolutely fantastic!  ditto on the recipe. 

Would you post the recipe? I enjoy baking and would love to know how to make puff pastry!

I need to check out TJs for this. I recently read a label for that stuff and was pretty shocked at the crap that is in it.

Making homemade puff pastry is pretty time consuming though.

I have one TJ puff pastry left: wheat flour, butter, water, non hydrogenated vegetable oil, salt, yeast.

TJ regular pie crust: wheat, palm oil, water, butter, natural favors, annato, sugar, salt. Now I see why I don't like tis as much as the puff pastry, lol.

TJ also has a phyllo dough, which I have yet to try.

Puff Pastry

Combine 1/2 cup margarine or butter with 1/2 tsp. salt in 1 cup boiling water.

Add 1 cup flour and beat vigorously until mixture forms a ball.  

Cool slightly and beat in 4 eggs, one at a time until thoroughly mixed.  

Roll this out on a well greased cookie sheet and bake at 400 for about 30 minutes.

My mom would bake this and then frost with almond flavored frosting and sprinkle some sliced almonds on top.  You can also spread jam over it after it's baked and put frosting over the jam.   I haven't attempted any savory toppings, but can imagine lots of possibilities there. Cream cheese with green onions and bacon come to mind.

These can also be made into cream puffs by dropping the dough in balls and baking, then filling with whatever.  

Puff Pastry

Combine 1/2 cup margarine or butter with 1/2 tsp. salt in 1 cup boiling water.

Add 1 cup flour and beat vigorously until mixture forms a ball.  

Cool slightly and beat in 4 eggs, one at a time until thoroughly mixed.  

Roll this out on a well greased cookie sheet and bake at 400 for about 30 minutes.

My mom would bake this and then frost with almond flavored frosting and sprinkle some sliced almonds on top.  You can also spread jam over it after it's baked and put frosting over the jam.   I haven't attempted any savory toppings, but can imagine lots of possibilities there. Cream cheese with green onions and bacon come to mind.

These can also be made into cream puffs by dropping the dough in balls and baking, then filling with whatever.  

Oooooo, I like that almond idea!  Thanks!