Menu

Just completed AAS 1. Can DD start Rod & Staff Spelling, Grade 2?

pitterpatter

I've tried and tried to like AAS, but DD and I are both starting to loathe it. It also hasn't been as effective as I would like, but I don't want to give up rules-based spelling. I think we need a break. Perhaps see whether something else might be a better fit.

If DD just completed AAS 1, can she go right into Rod & Staff Spelling, Grade 2?

My other option would be to keep going with AAS 2 and maybe supplement with Spellwell. I don't know, though. I really think we both might like R&S better. In looking at the samples, it seems like the method would be more her thing. I hate to switch or hop around, but AAS is ruining our days. I'm not sure it's worth it at this point.

DD will be seven in a few short weeks. She has completed all of her first grade coursework (except history...almost done). She is already working on some of her second grade work. She's my only child, so I'm not looking for her to complete it independently. In another week or two, she will have read all of the Henry and Mudge and Poppleton books. She reads them 95% fluently, I'd say.

I can't see signatures on mobile to see how old this DC is. An average 2nd grader would be fine with it. Strong first graders would probably be fine too.

My 6yo has been dabbling in the 2 book recently. She is reading the first grade books from Veritas Press with very little difficulty, and she learned to read with spelling rules (WRTR). We camp on each lesson until she can spell each word correctly, play on the whiteboard, and such.

I think so, although I read here that R & S Spelling 2 is intended to be used with their phonics program and so isn't as full as level 3 and up. If you plan to continue with R&S, be sure to teach cursive because the spelling words are written in cursive for levels 3 and up.

I think so, although I read here that R & S Spelling 2 is intended to be used with their phonics program and so isn't as full as level 3 and up. If you plan to continue with R&S, be sure to teach cursive because the spelling words are written in cursive for levels 3 and up.

Though level 3 has print and cursive.

(Level 4 and up is cursive, I believe.)

Yes, 3 has both. The next several have cursive and then it switches back over to print again for the uppermost level(s). From what I could tell from the previews anyway. I do plan to teach cursive in time, but I figure I could always just type up a list of spelling words, if she has problems.

Though level 3 has print and cursive.

(Level 4 and up is cursive, I believe.)

Could someone clarify how to use Rod & Staff? The previews don't provide any extra teaching information. From what I can tell, there is just a short part A and B for each lesson, plus there's also a spelling test at the end of the week. Is that right? Are the rules only taught in the part B section? From what I can tell, they aren't really taught in the same way as AAS.

I think since you already did aas1 you should do at least 2 and 3. The direct instruction of syllabication and other rules is extremely useful! We now use R&S, but the first few AAS levels are extremely valuable.

Level one of AAS is boring, but levels 2 and 3 are really really meaty and useful

We are now keeping it at 20 minutes, three times per week. I was dividing each lesson up and completing it that way, but it was taking way too long a lot of days. So, now I try hard to keep it around 20 minutes. Things are better than they were, but it still drives us nuts a lot of days. DD would prefer a workbook approach, or at least a partial workbook approach, I think. Something more puzzle/game-like to keep her brain busy. Just writing words out every day isn't her thing. We use the tiles too...the first day of each lesson, but I seriously want to throw them out the window.

I may continue on with AAS 2 and add Spellwell by topic to break things up. I really, really like that she's learning rules. It makes so much sense to me. Trying to figure out what to do...a way to make it bearable.

Also how much time per day do you spend on AAS? Keep it to 20 min.., don't push too far or you both will get burnt out

I would probably continue with AAS and adapt it for my child - get rid of the tiles if they bother your child (and even if they bother you) Pre test the words and see if she doesn't already know the rule - if she doesn't then teach the rule. Do only a few of the dictation sentences and don't leave them all til the end of the section - maybe do some even as you teach the rule as practice for the rule. 

And then ask your child what she would like to write and teach the spelling and rules for that even if it has not been covered in AAS - this will enable her to learn some sections before she gets there in the book (you would have to preread the books to see what is being taught so you can teach the rules if you do not know them - some in the later books can be looked up online). Learning something of interest reinforces it and is better remembered. 

Other ideas are to do two shorter sessions per day or shorter sessions 5 times a week instead of 3 times a week, get her to spell out loud instead of writing everything (But don't do this too often - spelling is to enable writing after all), teach only through dictation but use AAS to know which rules to teach first and which words to include in the dictation.

Switching to another programme might work. I have also found The ABCs and all their tricks to be useful in grouping specific words and learning about various rules (not open and go at all, but if you have to adapt heavily it can be very useful).