Menu

s/o What is your favorite brand of paint?

history_junkie

I like SW Duration, especially when it's 40% off. BM's Aura is lovely, but it's a bit tricky to paint with--sort of like spreading thin pudding. It's really, really nice paint, especially if you want a matte finish. It never goes 40% off as SW does (maybe this weekend?), so SW Duration generally wins. 

I like SW Duration, especially when it's 40% off. BM's Aura is lovely, but it's a bit tricky to paint with--sort of like spreading thin pudding. It's really, really nice paint, especially if you want a matte finish. It never goes 40% off as SW does (maybe this weekend?), so SW Duration generally wins. 

Thanks for that warning! We (probably DH!) are doing the painting ourselves so that is very good to know.

...couldn't edit my post. I wanted to add Eggshell or satin finish for most of the house; high traffic areas get semi gloss snce it is easier to clean.

We used semi-gloss for easy clean up (and it is!), but then nothing adhesive-like will stick to the wall which is a real bummer with posters, maps, artwork from the kids, and our Mohu Leaf antenna.

We just got done painting a rental house last week. We have been using Olympic One Semi Gloss on all of our rental houses. My former tenant painted a room HOT PINK! This Olympic One pretty much covered it in one coat. We had to just touch up over that. We do semi gloss in rentals because I am not sure what the heck happens with my walls there. In our house, we generally use satin. We have also used behr with good results, but now only shop at lowes because of location and discount with credit card.

We just got done painting a rental house last week. We have been using Olympic One Semi Gloss on all of our rental houses. My former tenant painted a room HOT PINK! This Olympic One pretty much covered it in one coat. We had to just touch up over that. We do semi gloss in rentals because I am not sure what the heck happens with my walls there. In our house, we generally use satin. We have also used behr with good results, but now only shop at lowes because of location and discount with credit card.

We had a hot pink closet. Gross! 

Thanks for the info.

We painted the entire interior of our house last year with Kelly Moore satin finish. I was very happy with the quality. 

Just be sure to pick a store that is within a reasonable distance from your house. You will be making a lot of trips!  Expect to pay a cringe-worthy amount for decent paint.

Enjoy the fresh and new look of your house. :)

Just be sure to pick a store that is within a reasonable distance from your house. You will be making a lot of trips!  Expect to pay a cringe-worthy amount for decent paint.

Enjoy the fresh and new look of your house. :)

No kidding! It's ridiculous just going back and forth for samples.

I can't speak to specific brands, but washable latex paint. Walls, ceilings, heck, I'd do the floors, too, if I could.

We had washable latex in our previous house. I'm just waiting for the chance to repaint our existing house so we can have it again. So much easier to clean!

Sherwin Williams is my favorite by far.  I painted all of the interior of my house with it nearly 8 years ago and it still looks great.  No kidding.  

I used to like Behr, but I made the mistake of buying Behr with Primer for DD17's room and it took so many coats I lost count.  I'm sure had I just used primer on its own and then the paint it may have been better, but it was really just not good.  I used Behr almost exclusively prior to doing the whole-house with SW, so I wasn't concerned when I went back to it for the one room.  I shouldn't have done it. 

I just painted about 50% of the interior walls of our house this past winter. I used Dutch Boy Platinum and was very happy with the application and results. Other than a junky paneled room downstairs, it was all done with one smooth coat (eggshell finish.) However, I went darker in every room I painted. I don't know how well it would cover if you were going lighter.

Another vote for Benjamin Moore. It's thick - like cake batter!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE the coverage!! It is quite pricey but sign up on their website for coupons and they will send you one about once a month. usually $5 or $10 off a $50 purchase. For my kids' rooms I would probably not fork out the money for BM but for our hallways and bathrooms and kitchen I only use BM.

I have used Behr and it used to be my go-to paint until I found my friend Ben.

I haven't painted since Benjamin Moore Aura came out -- it gets great reviews everywhere.

My favorite paint for walls/ceilings has been Pratt & Lambert Accolade. Fantastic coverage, subtle colors. One of my favorite features is that, if you miss a bit while painting and then go to cover up the spot after the wall has begun to dry, the new patch won't show. I hope I'm being clear -- one thing I hate about some cheaper paints is how little touch ups stand.

P & L also has a low VOC paint similar to Aura, but I haven't tried it.

Thanks for all of the replies. I need to locate a BM store near me and compare some of their colors with SW.

Picking colors is a whole 'nother question :D

You don't have to stick to that manufacturer's colors. I use BM colors with SW paint all the time. :)

Stay away from Behr for dark/bright colors, my red bedroom took 7 coats to cover- with primer! Meanwhile I used Sico red in my ds bedroom and it covered in 2!

Thanks! I'm wondering if that is the cause of the varied reviews about Behr and Valspar. Perhaps they work better for light colors and lighter coverage?

I just finished painting a room using Behr. I did use the one with the primer and it covered bright yellow walls with light blue in one coat. However, covering wood stained trim with their white paint did take 2 coats. 

Love that paint! So easy to clean up (even off of skin since I wear as much on my skin as I get on the walls).

We went to SW last night and bought the trim and ceiling paint and bought 4 gallons of untinted paint to take advantage of the sale. We saved a ton! Still working on my colors though....

Thanks to whomever mentioned buying untinted paint (I think it was in the other thread).  :)