Menu

American history spine

3girls4me

Hi ladies!
I have posted a few things on here recently and continue to rethink what I am going to do next year for history. We are going to cover the second half of American history. I kind of want a break from "curriculum." So I want to go at our own pace and linger with the books we are reading. I am looking for a spine to use to take us through this and then I can just add in other books. I don't want to start SOTW yet because we may use them for the years after next. Any suggestions? I will have a 4th and 1st grader.
Thanks

We really liked this book, which we used in 4th and 5th grades alongside SOTW to go more in-depth into American History

http://www.amazon.com/The-Making-America-History-Present/dp/1426306636/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397143299&sr=8-2&keywords=the+making+of+america

For youngers,  I really like the Betsy Maestro series.  They are a series of shorter books, rather than a large textbook.  You could really use this series with both the 1st grader and the 4th grader, they are listed at grade level 3-5.

We did two years of U.S. history. My oldest was in 3rd and 4th but she's a very strong reader. So we used the Catholic Schools Textbook Project "From Sea to Shining Sea" as her spine. DS was in K(4) and "transition" (K5) and I used "I Love America" by Julianne Kimber plus library books for him.

Thanks! Has anyone used the history of us series?

I think a 4th grader would do fine with HofUS. For first grade, the problem is not so much the reading/listening level (because it is very conversational in tone), but the sheer detail. They are very detailed books. That said, when I did American history for my oldest's 1st and 2nd grade years, I never found a spine that I loved, so I ended up planning a series of sequential unit studies, finding one great book to serve as a spine for each era. At the same time, I started reading Hakim myself and then got it on audio. My kids loved it, despite being young. The narrator is fantastic. Oldest got a lot out of it, and I realized I could have used it successfully with him from the start. We have listened to it start to finish several times since then and it is definitely on my top 5 purchases for homeschool list. I personally think it is ideal for late elementary to early middle, 4th grade to about 6th grade. But others definitely disagree with me, so judge by your own kids.