Menu

Egads! Eggplant help...

AndyJoy

DS(4) wanted to try a new food because of an episode of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood (great preschool show, BTW). Neither of us has had eggplant, so we bought one this morning. What tasty preparation ideas do you have for us? I could Google but it's more fun to find out Hive favorites.

We like to roast it with other veggies.

One eggplant, peeled and diced

One or two red bell peppers, seeded and sliced

One red onion, sliced

Package of fresh sliced mushrooms

Add all to baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, season with Kosher salt and pepper. Bake at 350 or 375 for about an hour.

So good.

Slice & dip in egg wash then in bread crumbs that has some parm cheese mixed in.

Fry or bake

Eat like this

,,, or after cooking...

Put a small amount of marinara sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish, then a layer of eggplant, a little more marinara, a little mozz cheese.

Keep layering like this until you run out of eggplant.  

End with cheese on top.

Bake until bubbly. 

Eggplant parm is probably the most kid-friendly because the eggplant is smothered in tomato sauce and cheese.  :-)

A couple of our favorites are Caponata (kind of a roasted eggplant salad with capers) and Baingan Bharta (an Indian eggplant curry sort of dish).

We like to make 'pizza' with them. We are gluten free...

I slice them maybe 1/4-1/2 inch thick, pizza sauce, cheese, pepperoni... Throw in the oven until the cheese melts nicely. :)

What an interesting idea!  We're not big eggplant eaters, but I'd like to try new ways to make it.  Does the eggplant stay firm to where you can hold it like a slice of pizza or does it get soft enough to where you have to use a fork?

What an interesting idea!  We're not big eggplant eaters, but I'd like to try new ways to make it.  Does the eggplant stay firm to where you can hold it like a slice of pizza or does it get soft enough to where you have to use a fork?

We had to use a fork. Anything smothered in cheese and pepperonis is a hit at my house!

When trying a new ingredient, it is a good thing to try cooking it in a few different ways so you can tell whether it is the method or the ingredient you don't like. So… You should try all these recipes! :D 

I found a great recipe in Claudia Roden's Jewish cookbook for eggplant. I've adapted it a little but you bake thick slices in coconut milk and top with a tasty mixture of coconut, tamarind and spices.  :drool5:

When trying a new ingredient, it is a good thing to try cooking it in a few different ways so you can tell whether it is the method or the ingredient you don't like. So… You should try all these recipes! :D

I found a great recipe in Claudia Roden's Jewish cookbook for eggplant. I've adapted it a little but you bake thick slices in coconut milk and top with a tasty mixture of coconut, tamarind and spices.  :drool5:

Rosie.  I must have this recipe.

I use eggplant in two ways.

1. Simply dice (small pieces) and toss in to stir-fry (any cusine from chinese to italian, over rice, pasta, or beans).  This way DS who loves eggplant can't tell the difference between it and zucchini (which he hates).

Our favorite way is more work but more reward

2. I slice eggplant very thin(skin still on) and put it between layers of paper towel to "dry" for at least 4 hours but sometimes overnight in the fridge.  Then I bread it (egg dip then flour/spice dip) and fry it in canola. Add a little salt, mix up a dill sour cream dip and we're good.  We often have this with Chicken Alfredo. Okay, now I'm hungry.

1 large chopped onion

3 tbsp oil

5 cloves garlic, crushed, 50g dried grated coconut

1 tbsp tamarind paste

1 tbsp brown sugar

1 tsp ground coriander

1/2 tsp ground cumin, pinch salt

1/2 tsp cayenne or chilli powder (a mere sneeze worth for wimps like me)

4cm grated fresh ginger

A small bunch of fresh coriander for those who can tolerate the evil herb

4 small eggplant or two large

Fry the onion until golden, add garlic and coconut, stir until lightly coloured and add the tamarind and brown sugar. May need a few tsp of water if using the concentrate to make a soft paste. Add the spices and the icky, stinky, revolting coriander leaves if you like that sort of thing. And there you have the filling.

The recipe says to cut horizontally into the eggplants without actually cutting slices off and stuff it with the paste. That might work nicely if you can buy or grow small eggplant, but the ones in our local shops are about a kilo each and take *forever* to bake. So I cut thick slices and serve the paste on top. Either way, you bake the eggplant in the oven covered with foil. The recipe says to simmer it in a pot, but you really don't want to unless you are desperate to eat this and don't have an oven.