Menu

Help Me Pick My Writing Curriculum!

tori729

Trying to narrow down my choices for a handwriting curriculum. First time home schooler here starting 1st grade in the fall. I'm looking at HWWOT and WWE. At first, I was leaning toward HWWOT because he uses that at school right now (although uses the traditional three-lined paper) and I thought 2nd grade would be too early to start cursive. However, he's started trying to write "in cursive" already (K5) because his teacher makes letters on the board in cursive. So I'm wondering if it might be ok to try a curriculum that starts it earlier. I don't love the price of IEW which is why I've written it off. (hahaha get it?) But if it's really great, enlighten me. :) Thoughts?

Also, should I start my K4 on handwriting or just hold off?

I just responded to your phonics thread. Logic of English Foundations, which I recommended in my last thread, is a phonics and handwriting program if you start with level A, which I would recommend. It is appropriate for kids 4 to 7. I am using the handwriting mostly with my 6 y/o, but my 4 y/o does the non-paper handwriting exercises. I will probably move her to paper when she is ready, probably when she is a few months past 5. The way the program is set up, it will be very easy to go back and do the handwriting later. I am doing cursive w/ my 6 y/o, but the program also teaches manuscript, you can choose.

I have not started formal 'writng' instruction yet, so I'll stay out of that discussion... :laugh:

As for handwriting, I've used lots of things, and, well, they all teach how to form letters and words, lol.

HWWOT: This is a good program, especially for children who have either learned their letters incorrectly and need to change or for children who struggle with handwriting to begin with. That said, I've used it with a very quick learner with no learning challenges and it worked fine too. :001_smile:  I would say that unless there are big obstacles in your child's handwriting, you won't need all the components for this program. The workbook itself is plenty.

A Reason For Handwriting: simple, easy, again no need for the teacher's manual.

Explode the Code: Although this is more of a phonics program, these workbooks incorporate a lot of writing as well. The first three books (the primers) teach all the consonants, and ETC 1 teaches vowels. My kids tend to like them and willingly drag them out when they're bored.

Printing With Pictures: A very nice program without a ton of repetition.

For cursive, when that time came, we have loved Cheerful Cursive. It is painless and my daughter hasn't 'forgotten' how to do it months later.

All that said, A Reason for Handwriting and Cheerful Cursive are religious, if that makes any difference to you. :001_smile:

WWE isn't necessarily a handwriting curriculum,....it's a bit more than that. You could easily do WWE as well as a handwriting curriculum like HWOT.

The HWOT workbooks are pretty slim and you could easily do both the Printing book and the cursive book right after. I don't feel 2nd grade is too early, especially if a child is already interested. Usually my kids finish HWOT within a month or two at the beginning of the year and then copywork/spelling etc the rest of the year serves as their "handwriting."

I would most definitely start a 4 year old learning proper handwriting. Again the HWOT books are great for this. I usually combine the K book for capitals and the ETC Get Ready Set Go books for lower case.

I have not started formal 'writng' instruction yet, so I'll stay out of that discussion... :laugh:

As for handwriting, I've used lots of things, and, well, they all teach how to form letters and words, lol.

HWWOT: This is a good program, especially for children who have either learned their letters incorrectly and need to change or for children who struggle with handwriting to begin with. That said, I've used it with a very quick learner with no learning challenges and it worked fine too. :001_smile:  I would say that unless there are big obstacles in your child's handwriting, you won't need all the components for this program. The workbook itself is plenty.

A Reason For Handwriting: simple, easy, again no need for the teacher's manual.

Explode the Code: Although this is more of a phonics program, these workbooks incorporate a lot of writing as well. The first three books (the primers) teach all the consonants, and ETC 1 teaches vowels. My kids tend to like them and willingly drag them out when they're bored.

Printing With Pictures: A very nice program without a ton of repetition.

For cursive, when that time came, we have loved Cheerful Cursive. It is painless and my daughter hasn't 'forgotten' how to do it months later.

All that said, A Reason for Handwriting and Cheerful Cursive are religious, if that makes any difference to you. :001_smile:

I can't say enough good things about A Reason For Handwriting. I started my daughter out on this in Preschool and now in 3rd grade she prefers to write exclusively in cursive. She has beautiful handwriting. She LOVED writing the scriptures on day four and being able to color the pages.

We are just finishing up 1st grade.  Writing can be separated into two areas:  mechanics of writing (handwriting, later spelling and grammar), and composition (moving an idea from brain to paper)

You can do these separately, or combine.  I combine for the most part. 

WWE is a program that is geared towards composition, using narration and copywork.  The copywork is only 2x per week, so you can use your own copywork on other days, or a handwriting book.  Just require that the copywork be in "best handwriting", and you are killing two birds with one stone. 

All the other resources you mentioned are pure handwriting- they don't work on composition, only letter formation.  I would not use them alone for 1st grade, but they could be used every other day, with a composition writing program (such as WWE) on the alternating days. 

I have a lot of handwriting handbooks- I have italic books, HWOT, Peterson method...  to make a long story short, I just make my own handwriting sheets either using startwrite software or just copying in my neat print onto handwriting paper, then skipping a line for the child to write underneath.  As soon as letter formation was very solid, I switched to having the copywork passage on one page and the child just transcribed onto handwriting paper. 

Starting second semester of this year, I got my son the Kumon cursive letters and cursive words workbook.  He worked through cursive letters until he got to capitols, and now he does one page of cursive letter capitols and one page of cursive words each day.  His copywork is still in print.  I will keep his copywork in print until he's finished both kumon books, then switch to copywork in cursive.  I'll let him write in whatever he prefers for anything other than copywork though. 

Hope that helps!

I just responded to your phonics thread. Logic of English Foundations, which I recommended in my last thread, is a phonics and handwriting program if you start with level A, which I would recommend. It is appropriate for kids 4 to 7. I am using the handwriting mostly with my 6 y/o, but my 4 y/o does the non-paper handwriting exercises. I will probably move her to paper when she is ready, probably when she is a few months past 5. The way the program is set up, it will be very easy to go back and do the handwriting later. I am doing cursive w/ my 6 y/o, but the program also teaches manuscript, you can choose.

So this covers both phonics and handwriting? And I would want to get the teacher's manual and the workbooks, correct?

There are SO many choices, I might just go to a couple used book sales/stores and see what they have available and just get the cheapest one from among my favorites. Because I'm thrifty like that. But I do like the idea of LOE!!