Menu

What level of RightStart math should I use next?

I have posted just recently about my struggling second grade daughter who is in public school.  Currently, I am using RightStart A with her as a review because it is what I had on hand. (I used it with her and her brother when they were in K).  With some aspects she does really well and other things she struggles. She had an issue yesterday with before and after.  She also gets caught up counting coins.  However, she can add 4 digits numbers with carrying and knows place value to 1,000. 

I want to continue with RS with her as she works well with the abacus and seems to enjoy the program. However, when I look at level B it seems that at least half of the book will be nothing but review of what she is already proficient in.  Should I just skip it and go straight to C?  She took the placement test for RS and it suggested level C.  She still does not have her math facts in place but we are working on them. 

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

The first section of B is definitely a repeat of A. I have learned to skip A and go right to B. I think there is a lot of great learning in B. I would get B and just skip the first 30 or so lessons. My children have very good mental math strategies because of level B.

However, if the placement test suggests level C, then you might just want to play the right start games to really get her facts down and then move into C. Does she know the ways to make 10 easily? Can she add and subtract double digits in her head?

I really would try to get a used copy of B and do it. The math games book is worth picking up also, or at least the game cards so you can play the games as described in the manual.

I do realize that RightStart is not cheap. The good news is that you could buy B and use what you need and then resell it. It would be more like a rental fee :o)

There is a lot that you would miss if you skip B. If you do A first, you are supposed to skip the first 20-30 lessons though. Ill look in my book when I get a chance.

ETA: I have lessons 1-23 marked to skip. Presumably someone in the yahoo group that knows what they're talking about told me so.

Also, I'm thinking about skipping Level D, so you can take my advice with a grain of salt ;)

It might also be worth considering that the second edition for B is out now, but C won't be out until late summer. If you go with C now, you only have the option of the 1st edition.  I only saw the 1st edition books at a curriculum fair, but the 2nd edition seemed much improved to me and we are enjoying working with it.