Menu

Flat cookies? Baking question

Cricket

How do I make flat cookies? My dh loves cookies with butterscotch chips and does not like that every batch of cookies I make turn out thicker rather than flatter. Too much flour maybe? I use a basic chocolate chip cookie recipe, substituting butterscotch chips for chocolate chips. Dh's idea of a good cookie is basically butterscotch chips with just enough dough to hold them together. I use two bags of chips but the cookies still turn out fat and thick instead of flat. We live in a very dry climate so maybe that affects them? The dough doesn't spread much in the oven and I do preheat the oven. Any ideas?

Use butter and don't chill the dough before baking. If it's refrigerated or frozen, let it come to room temp before putting it in the oven.

This recipe makes thin, crisp cookies (bad review is because of it being totally flat except for the chips, ha!): http://www.marthastewart.com/856387/chocolate-chip-cookie-base

Alton Brown's thin and crispy: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-thin-recipe.html#!
(Look up that episode on YouTube to find the science!)

I would brown the butter first, whichever you try. They look very similar. If the recipe calls for 2 sticks of butter, brown 1 1/2 and reserve that 1/2 stick to stir in when it's perfectly browned and cool down the mixture. It will keep it from over-browning from carryover heat. The browned butter will really intensify the butterscotch flavor.

I used to make butterscotch cookies often and I liked them the exact same way as your DH. The main thing to do is measure everything very carefully and once the dough is on the sheet, use a few greased fingers to flatten the dough out a bit. I don't think it is a good idea to mess with the leavening in a baking recipe too much.

Flour, rising agents (baking soda or powder), and chilling all create thicker cookies. 

The first thing I would try would be the dip and swipe method of filling a measuring cup with flour. That means instead of putting the measuring cup in the flour barrel and pulling out our flour you dip spoonfuls of flour out of the container and fill the measuring cup that way. This loosens any impacted flour and aerates it. Many overly thick cookies are too thick because there is actually too much flour added to the bowl. Flour impacts easily. 

If you're looking for more of a recipe change rather than getting the recipe to turn out better, then I would suggest what someone above suggests. Halve the rising agents (baking powder or soda). Take out 1/4-1/2 cup of flour or replace up to 1/2 of the flour with another grain (oatmeal or something). Don't chill the dough (chilling slows down the melt, warmer dough will pool out in the oven). 

Good luck!