Menu

Apple mirroring to TV

DawnM

This might be a dumb question.  

I have been trying to read how it works, but I am still not clear.

You need an Apple device that allows for mirroring (newer models of iPad, macbook, iphone, etc..) but what does it mirror to?  Do you need an Apple TV to mirror to your TV?

Thanks,

Dawn

You need the little Apple TV black box and an apple device like an iPad, etc. 

Then when you pull up a video either from itunes or on youtube, etc., there is a little icon in the lower righthand corner of your screen that you click on and then tap Apple TV and it will show on your TV screen. At least that is how ours works.

Ok, thanks.  

I need another streaming device, so will be looking at the Apple TV.  

In the past they didn't have 1080p or Hulu+ but I believe both of those things have been added with the Apple TV 3.

Dawn

Wait. What do you mean by mirroring? I have a macbook from a couple of years ago, but it has the lightning connection. I bought this cable that costs about $5 and use it to connect my laptop to my tv. To watch a show, I find it online (hulu, huluplus, netflix, prime, etc.), hit play, and then hit the "full screen" icon in the corner. Voila, I have my shows in full-size on my television. Is that what you mean?

What Heather said.

Mirroring is very convenient. No cables, but you do need an Apple device -- iPhone, iPod, iPad, newer Mac computer -- plus the Apple TV box. You click an icon or swipe, depending on the device, and your screen content is on your tv.

I use it mainly for quick viewing, such as a Quizlet or a short you tube clip. We use the Apple TV you tube channel for longer programs.

Wait. What do you mean by mirroring? I have a macbook from a couple of years ago, but it has the lightning connection. I bought this cable that costs about $5 and use it to connect my laptop to my tv. To watch a show, I find it online (hulu, huluplus, netflix, prime, etc.), hit play, and then hit the "full screen" icon in the corner. Voila, I have my shows in full-size on my television. Is that what you mean?

I think when Apple says mirroring, they mean without a cable, but you are getting the same result!