Menu

Has anyone ditched vocab study altogether?

We are studying Latin (and will continue to do so) and my kids are voracious readers.  My 5th grader zipped through Vocabulary From Classical Roots 4 & 5 this year with almost no problems.  It was just busy work for him. 

I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed with our schedule.  I'd like to drop some of the busy work from our schedule and focus on more reading of classics next year.  Am I doing my kids a disservice if we don't do a formal vocab program?  I'm envisioning reading more classics and simply discussing words they may not know as they arise naturally in the literature. 
Thoughts?

Well yes and no: I didn't actually ditch it because I never bothered to start vocab with the kids. Why spend time formally studying something that is so ideal for a more unschooling approach?

We do a ton of incidental vocab, though. New words are learnt for fun by playing games with rhymes, synonyms, etc or mentioning related words, as well as via books and conversation. If a kid asks what x word means, I'll define the word, sometimes mention the root and remind them of other related words. If another kid asks about spelling, it's the same thing - if the kid asks why yacht has an irregular spelling, I don't say it just has (or it's tricky, or disobedient); I explain that it's because the ch sound used to be pronounced in middle German and Dutch. I am very interested in everything to do with words, so sometimes I can't help giving them a mini lecture, but I wouldn't give them an actual vocab curriculum unless they asked for it.

We do the vocabulary incorporated into our writing program (IEW history theme book) and it has worked so much better than a separate vocabulary program. There is no busy-work-filled worksheets, just flash cards with cute illustrations, definitions, sample sentences, and synonyms. We drill them weekly and work as many as possible into our writing. It's been very efficient & effective.

Yes. We found it redundant when we started Latin. Haven't missed it once.

:iagree:  We come up with different derivatives for the new words each week, and when we come across an unfamiliar word in a book we see if we can identify a Latin root before we open the dictionary.

Yes, I would. Next year we are dropping formal Vocabulary because we'll be studying Latin and informally looking to English From the Roots Up (which should also help with the Latin).

To me Vocabulary takes on a new meaning in the higher grades (high school) when they start working towards the SAT. The Latin in grades 6-8 should be helpful.

Okay, I'm feeling better about dropping it :D. I think logic is going to get the axe too. Between Latin, Music and Math, he gets plenty of problem/puzzle solving.

You know what? I'm doing the same thing! We have all three: Latin, Music, and Math - more logic and I may have mutiny on my hands :)  Besides, we have a lot of critical thinking type Socratic discussions in Natural Science and History. I feel good about my decision too.