Menu

Writing a transcript

When you write a transcript for your child, do you need to include a course description  of what textbooks and/or online classes they participated in? 

For example: Do I write.

A: Saxon Math: Algebra 1  

B: Algebra 1

C: Algebra 1 - Covers signed numbers, exponents, solving equations, two equations with unknowns, graphing equations, scientific notation, ration, percent, variation, unit conversions, geometry, perimeter, area, volume, English into metric conversion, surface area.

My transcript is a one-page document that lists each class taken.  I used simple course titles (I got creative with the English/Lit titles to reflect the main theme of the course.)  I also had a notation for classes taken from an outside provider.  I also highlighted courses that were dual-enrolled at the college near us.  I put a key at the bottom denoting the course provider.  I put more detailed descriptions of each course plus materials used/read in the course description document that I attached to my transcript document. 

When you write a transcript for your child, do you need to include a course description  of what textbooks and/or online classes they participated in? 

For example: Do I write.

A: Saxon Math: Algebra 1  

B: Algebra 1

C: Algebra 1 - Covers signed numbers, exponents, solving equations, two equations with unknowns, graphing equations, scientific notation, ration, percent, variation, unit conversions, geometry, perimeter, area, volume, English into metric conversion, surface area.

Your transcript would only have B. above. 

I also wrote a brief, one-paged description for each course my student took for high school.  I used a combination of C and A (a little more in depth for both), plus the grade and credit received.  Some of my friends found it amusing that I wrote course descriptions, but I think they were helpful for my student. Some of her classes were more than the run of the mill social studies, math, etc.

My single biggest help for transcript and course description writing was Lee Binz's book, Setting the Record Straight.  I also searched through old course description threads here for suggestions until I found a format I liked (a blend between something here and Lee's recommendation), and then I wrote all of my descriptions myself to make them uniform.

My experience mirrors that mentioned already.  For my daughter, I prepared a concise one page transcript that included course names, grades, and amount of credit.  (The transcript also had a section with test scores.)  A key denoted where each course had been taken.

Along with the transcript, I also sent a course descriptions documents as well as a homeschool profile, reading and text book list, and a letter of recommendation.

I'd be happy to share my daughter's transcript with you (or others) if you'd like to see an example.  Simply send me a personal message with your email address.

Regards,

Kareni

Ok, I sat through Lee Binz webinar yesterday and now realize that I was combining a transcript document and a course description document into one document in my mind.  Now that I understand that these are actually two different documents, I'm calmer. Thanks Ladies!

It's a good thing I'm starting to learn this now when he is in grade 7!  Otherwise, I'd be a mess by the time he is in grade12! LOL

I simply obtained a list of graduation requirements from our local school district and matched her work to those names, along with grades.

We got creative for additional work, but listing English 10 for tenth grade was perfectly acceptable, along with American Literature as a separate class, since we thought the amount of work done was sufficient.

We also attached a book list of all the books she read in 9th and 10th grade, and that got the principal's attention for the Early College High School she attended for 11th and 12th.  Based on her transcript, test scores, and reading list, they were able to award "Principal awarded credit" so that she still gets a high school diploma this spring.  Otherwise, she would have only received recognition for her work at that high school, but no diploma because our homeschool wasn't accredited.

It made a big difference in scholarship qualifications.

Keeping accurate records as you go and assigning all work a class category helps a lot.