Menu

At home ideas for sensory seeking kids??

My DS8 has sensory issues and is extremely sensory seeking.  He has started OT and the difference is pretty amazing.  I'd love some ideas from some real homeschooling moms dealing with schooling kids with these issues.

So far we have--

Wilbarger brushing technique

moving a weighted ball

pushing the weighted ball on hands and knees

rolling like a log across the floor

weighted pillowcase on lap or back when reading

balance pods for stepping on

Any other easy/cheap ideas??

Things we did that helped my sensory seeker:

Carry grocery bags

Mini- trampoline in the house

Little wheelbarrow for outdoors in the summer loaded with enough weight to make it a little challenging to push around but still fun

Lots of moving things-pushing things-pulling things.

Deflate a small ball for his to sit on and bounce a little during seat work

Speed drills inside if we couldn't get outdoors.  Such as X amount of jumping jacks, push ups, laps around the yard.

That's all I can think of for now.  Mostly our OT had us trying to engage his muscles and somewhat tire him out to reduce the sensory seeking.  It was helpful.  Best of luck!

A lot of breaks for outdoor exercise.

Some school work done in a swing outside, or while playing ball (dribbling, shooting baskets, while doing oral work) or even up a tree, sometimes.

Bouncy ball chairs (though not till later than age 8 as I thought it might be more dangerous than helpful until he was old enough to sit with feet on floor).

Jumping rope.

Dog.

I got my daughter that new sand they sell that has some kind of adhesive in it that allows it to stick to itself... I can't remember what it's called but we use that instead of play dough now and she loves it. (clean up is pretty easy too).

We also do gum...

When we're having an inside only day I will often set up a way for her to jump into something safe - a pile of blankets or pillows usually. (it helps keep the house in one piece!)

I also will get on the floor to play with them and trap them and squeeze them. It gets interesting when they get bigger, but being caught and fighting their way free seems to help a lot.

I need to get a therapy band for her chair, that's brilliant!

Our favorites (not necessarily cheap, but so worth it):

We had a jumpolene (blow-up indoor jumping thing) we threw in lots of pillows and would throw pillows at the kids while they were jumping.

We graduated from that to a junior trampoline (12" high 6' across)

We hung a platform swing on a swivel from the basement ceiling and did LOTs of swinging.

Thanks for posting this!  I'm looking into this too.  This is what I've found so far:

-Wheelbarrow and crab walking

-spinning board (http://www.vitallinks.net/pages/Astronaut-Training-A-Sound-Activated-Vestibular-Visual-Protocol.php) - We learned this in OT, not sure if you can find someone to teach you but it's worth looking into

-Dancing

-Carrying laundry up and down stairs

-Chew necklace 

-taking out the garbage

-squeeze between two adults (we do a "squeeze sandwich" on our bed in the mornings)

-gentle joint compression (http://asensorylife.com/joint-traction-and-compression.html)

-running laps

Good Luck!  I know this is tough.

We have an indoor swing and trapeze. Trampoline. Theraputty. Hand fidgets. Gum. Lots of movement breaks. Not much is done at the table these days. Yogibo pillow. He does reading in the trapeze or on the yogibo. He reviews math facts on the trampoline. We also have some obstacle course pieces- like cones, a balance beam, stepping stones. He loves his theraband. It can be hard. I'm sensory avoiding and my son is seeking.

Swing in the backyard. This is a huge plus! If you don't have a backyard I would get one of those indoor playgrounds.

Mini tramp

Also:

(Join a swim team- this has been a huge help for both my kids. )

Also: plenty of outdoor exercise time, playing with kids, sand, dirt, biking, etc. When I found my son had sensory issues I made it my goal to be outside 3 hours per day. :)

Definitely outside time, mine catties buckets of water all summer and sculpts snow all winter. The swing, slide, and monkey bars all get used most days. Indoors we have a mini trampoline, air hockey, and a finished attic with space to make pillow piles to jump into. Sometimes we set up an obstacle course. He plays a game during which I call out animals or people and he does a lap as that animal (crab, bear, penguin, but also clown, trash collector, Baker...). When he's about to lose it I can sometimes get him back by offering to let him push me around the wood floors. This works best if I sit on a blanket that he either pulls, or pushed me on.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of great ideas here! The therapy band on the chair and the teething necklace are great ideas. Right now my son is changing his shirt three times a day because he is constantly chewing on it. Ick.

My son is hypo/seeking.

He likes to wear heavy boots, a backpack with books in it and a helmet.

We use wilbarger (brushing) protocol and get a lot of milage out of that.

We take many breaks and go outside for short exercise sessions.

We have a hammock/swing that he can sit in to read or do independent work.

He loves his fuf beanbag chair. It's great for flipping over and flopping on. I can also "throw" him onto it.

We also like to put a smaller child in a laundry basket and let him push that around the house. Fun for both kids!

My DS is 9.

I would recommend checking with an OT before doing too much. I was surprised when our OT said we should be careful because kids can become dependent on various aids. It might not be so critical at home, but if dc are attending coops, library activities, etc with other children, it can be awkward.

We did brushing at home. Early Intervention teacher said dd's concentration was much better after brushing. For school, when dd was older, we had a strip of Velcro under the desk where dd could reach it easily, but it was inconspicuous to the other kids.

This is not strictly sensory, but we always made sure that dd's feet were anchored with a stool and not dangling. That was advice from a speech therapist. Good posture helps speech, it seems.