Menu

I need an audio book or two that everyone can enjoy on a long trip

helena

The Mrs. Poliifax adventures.  She becomes a CIA spy she in her 70's.  The stories are so much fun.  My mother introduced them to us and my kids loved them.

http://www.amazon.com/Unexpected-Mrs-Pollifax-Dorothy-Gilman-ebook/dp/B00HP3Q51S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396977449&sr=8-1&keywords=mrs.+pollifax

I haven't heard of these and they sound like fun. Is there anything in them that would be questionable for littler kids listening in?

If it is a really, REALLY long car trip you could listen to the Lord of the Rings unabridged. I think it is about 43 hours.

How about William Shakespeare's Star Wars?

http://www.amazon.com/William-Shakespeares-Star-Wars/dp/B00E3BVUG0

Darn, my library doesn't have that one.

No, thank goodness, it won't be that long of a drive. :)

You just remind me that MIL gave us a cd set for LotR. The kids are saying no, but I'll pack it anyways. 

I've put a few other recs on hold at the library!

I haven't heard of these and they sound like fun. Is there anything in them that would be questionable for littler kids listening in?

I don't recall anything until one of the last books in the series. It has a a mild torture scene.  We listened to them the first time when my children were 5, 8 and 11.

What I would suggest has already been suggested.

I listened to the sample. This sounds like fun.

I admit I wish they got voice actors that sounded just like the movie. 

But we don't have the CD. Instead we read the books outloud. We are hopefully going to start the next book in the series tonight. I get to play Han Solo and Princess Leia so I get to kiss myself during this book. Kids are looking forward to that. 

I admit I wish they got voice actors that sounded just like the movie. 

But we don't have the CD. Instead we read the books outloud. We are hopefully going to start the next book in the series tonight. I get to play Han Solo and Princess Leia so I get to kiss myself during this book. Kids are looking forward to that. 

:lol:

Three by Neil Gaiman:

"The Graveyard Book"

"Odd and the Frost Giants"

"Fortunately the Milk"

The last one is only about an hour and is SUPER silly, but was lots of fun for this Doctor Who loving family. It isn't Doctor Who, but I sense a rejected script and a few other things in that story.

But the first two are just ripping good stories. We have listened to both many time and always love them.

Well I put a ton of stuff on hold, so it'll be fun sampling them and choosing. :)

I think I own a Sherlock... where is that thing??

The kids are trying to say it's a Series of Unfortunate Events trip... No, Not again!!!  :tongue_smilie:

I did put a couple of newer Lemony Snicket mystery audio books on hold though. We'll see.

I also picked up Lord of the Flies. Nothing like an intense and sad drive on vacation. Haha!!

As a family with a teen, we enjoyed listening to The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman also Dracula.  More recently, my husband and I enjoyed The Hunger Games.

Regards,

Kareni

My kids (11 and 15) and I recently drove from CT to St Simons GA and back -- we listened to the Pullman trilogy in its entirety.  The audio is very well done -- it's unabridged, but has different voices reading each character's dialogue.  We all enjoyed it.

A bit young for your fam, but we did enjoy Coraline. Nicely creepy. 

If you can find it, Over Sea, Under Stone would be lovely. 

I'm not a fan of recorded stories, but I do like listening to more episodic adventures. Thought I'd like James Herriot's stuff, but not so much. Maybe you can find an anthology of sorts?