Menu

Do you have a tattoo? If so, how old were you when you got it (or if you have more than 1, how old when you got your first)?

DB in NJ

I have two.

My first I got when I was 26. I said (again) how much I wanted to get a tattoo, and my ex-boyfriend said, "You'll keep talking about it, but you'll never get one." That really gave me pause. It was a mental crossroads for me: Did I want to be the kind of person who always wanted to do things, but didn't follow through? I waited for a while because I wanted to make sure I was getting it for myself and not in reaction to my ex. That's what it really means to me: I AM the kind of person who follows through on the (wise and healthy!) things I want to do instead of wishing and talking or letting fear stop me.

The second I got with a dear long-time friend the year we both turned 40. It also has a lovely personal meaning to me.

I do not regret either tattoo.

Cat

I love reading all of your stories! 

When I was 17 and desperate for attention from my divorced parents (and hanging out with a motorcycle gang), I wanted a tattoo. You know, the obligatory rose on my shoulder or a skull with a rose coming out of its eye or some such thing. My parents wouldn't give permission, and none of the tattoo artists I knew would break the law to give me one (even though they were Warlocks and broke the law all the time with their drug use, etc.).

Anyhooo.....I grew up without a tattoo, and I was very glad that I didn't have the one my 17 year old self would have gotten.

Three years ago when mom died, I felt so lost and alone...and empty. One night, dh and I were watching Sense & Sensibility. I have never read the book (forgive me), but in the movie, Edward Ferrars says he "felt like a boat that had lost its anchor" when his father died.

Bingo.

A few days later as I was doing my daily Bible reading, I came across Hebrews 6:19, "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."

While in Nags Head last summer, my friend told me that she would not bring me back home without getting a tattoo first. I laughed, but she was serious. She looked in the phone book for tattoo artists, and I ended up seeing a guy with dreads named Buddy who gave me my first tattoo at the happy age of 49. I love the anchor on my foot (with a heart incorporated in it for my mom). The dawning of spring (a/k/a flip flop weather) made me curious if others have tattoos that come out of hiding during the warmer weather like mine does.

• Like 3

First one when I was turning 18. I'd wanted one for a long time, but the design doesn't mean anything special to me. I've since gotten one that covers the majority of my back. I get it in bits and pieces when I feel the urge and have the cash to spend. This one is carefully thought out and well-designed. I'm probably about ready to have the next bit done.

No. I don't see any point in putting something on my body that will stay there for the rest of my life. I am not a human doodle pad.

I can't tell you how much I love this (even though I have a tattoo). It sounds like something my mother would have said :)

I love reading all of your stories!

When I was 17 and desperate for attention from my divorced parents (and hanging out with a motorcycle gang), I wanted a tattoo. You know, the obligatory rose on my shoulder or a skull with a rose coming out of its eye or some such thing. My parents wouldn't give permission, and none of the tattoo artists I knew would break the law to give me one (even though they were Warlocks and broke the law all the time with their drug use, etc.).

Anyhooo.....I grew up without a tattoo, and I was very glad that I didn't have the one my 17 year old self would have gotten.

Three years ago when mom died, I felt so lost and alone...and empty. One night, dh and I were watching Sense & Sensibility. I have never read the book (forgive me), but in the movie, Edward Ferrars says he "felt like a boat that had lost its anchor" when his father died.

Bingo.

A few days later as I was doing my daily Bible reading, I came across Hebrews 6:19, "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."

While in Nags Head last summer, my friend told me that she would not bring me back home without getting a tattoo first. I laughed, but she was serious. She looked in the phone book for tattoo artists, and I ended up seeing a guy with dreads named Buddy who gave me my first tattoo at the happy age of 49. I love the anchor on my foot (with a heart incorporated in it for my mom). The dawning of spring (a/k/a flip flop weather) made me curious if others have tattoos that come out of hiding during the warmer weather like mine does.

I am in shock. Your dh watched S & S with you?

• Like 2

I am in shock. Your dh watched S & S with you?

LOL! It's one of his favorite movies of all time! I just love you, Angie (and I am still convinced your dd and my ds are supposed to get married ;) )

One year for HIS birthday, dh bought Pride & Prejudice for me. I'm talking the real version with the real Mr. Darcy, thankyouverymuch. A six-hour chick flick for his own birthday, just to make me happy. He loves it!

And between the two of us, he's the one who has actually read Austen. I, sadly, have not. Yet :D

• Like 1

LOL! It's one of his favorite movies of all time! I just love you, Angie (and I am still convinced your dd and my ds are supposed to get married ;) )

One year for HIS birthday, dh bought Pride & Prejudice for me. I'm talking the real version with the real Mr. Darcy, thankyouverymuch. A six-hour chick flick for his own birthday, just to make me happy. He loves it!

And between the two of us, he's the one who has actually read Austen. I, sadly, have not. Yet :D

LOL! I love it, and let's keep scheming about your ds and my dd, OK? Really!

We don't throw birthday parties for our dc every year. The last one dd had was when she turned 16. She wanted her friends to dress up (think prom dresses) and come over and watch P & P, and yes, the real version. (You get me. You really get me.) All her friends are spread out over the state of VA. I told her, it's too far, your friends won't come. I told her P & P is what? Six hours long? They won't come. 

They came, almost all of them. They had a blast!

So, my DH and ds were out of the house all day for the party, but then dd and I were rewatching some scenes after the party. Then we roped the boys into watching the whole movie! I think we got half way through and finished it the next day.

I'm guessing you know this, but your DH is a keeper!!! And I love you too, girl! A deep, loyal love. 

• Like 1

Is there meaning to it, or did you just get it on a whim?

I got my first tattoo at age 25.  I now have seven tattoos, and they all have meaning.  I would never get a tattoo just to get one and have usually thought about the design, etc. for at least a year before getting it.  It is permanent, after all.  I'm now 44, and I still love all of them and can tell you where I was and why I got each and every one of them.

My first was at 18, on a whim. The required rose-over-ankle. :lol:

I'll see your rose-over-ankle and raise you a rose over EACH ankle. :D

LOL...  This was my first tat also.  I dressed it up with a couple of music notes, too, though.  And then I got a blue rose over my other ankle with a symbol that means "to be different" (at least that's what it's supposed to mean; if it doesn't, I don't wanna know :smilielol5: )

• Like 2

Unfortunately, my left breast looks like childrens' wallpaper due to a tattoo I got on a (dumb) whim about 20 years ago. It's Winnie-the-Pooh with a bunch of balloons. I fantasize about having it lasered off, but don't want to spend the money. I should have gotten a dragon in my groin or somewhere....but that would look like a Chinese menu....really, I should have just skipped the whole thing. Ugh.

I have two.  I got my first when I was 14, and my second when I was 16 and living in South America.  

They have no meaning to me and both were done on a whim.  I don't regret them and I have no plans to have them removed, but I would probably erase them if doing so was painless and cheap.  I don't actually ever think about them or notice them anymore and no one else does either as they are hidden.

No, I do not have any.

I do not find the sight of tattoos attractive at all.

What's the point of commenting this in a thread where people are sharing that they do have tattoos?  The thread isn't asking for anyone's opinion on tattoos, just if you have them.  So you (and many others) basically came in here to say, "I think what you have on your body is ugly/wrong/whatever."

I have 3, and I still manage to be a respected member of society. :001_rolleyes:

• Like 1

Wait, did DB start this thread and then not play along? DB, do you sport ink, girl? Spill!

No ink on me, but a friend told me this idea after I was done having children. I would have done it in a heartbeat! Get a rub on tattoo and wait till you're pretty far along in your pregnancy, and show up for an OB appointment w/ a tattoo on your belly. I'd love to see the reaction of the nurse and doc when I asked, "What do you think of my new tattoo?"

I'm an imp that way, but so is my friend. She's just smarter to think these things up. 

I had a HUGE henna tattoo done on my huge pg belly with one of my kids. My midwife did not see that coming. hehehe

• Like 1

I got my first last year when I turned 38. It is the Chinese character for strength. It is in honor of my daughters: my younger, because she is Chinese, and my older, because I asked her to give me one word that characterized me and she said "strength." I am getting another tattoo soon, this time the Chinese character for faith.

ETA: My tattoo is on my right wrist. My next one will be on my left wrist. I love my tattoo and can't wait until I get my next one! :)

What's the point of commenting this in a thread where people are sharing that they do have tattoos? The thread isn't asking for anyone's opinion on tattoos, just if you have them. So you (and many others) basically came in here to say, "I think what you have on your body is ugly/wrong/whatever."

I have 3, and I still manage to be a respected member of society. :001_rolleyes:

Actually, the thread title is, "Do you have a tattoo?" so I'm not sure why you're getting all offended. :confused:

Not a single person who has posted here has even remotely suggested that people with tattoos aren't "respected members of society." :glare:

What's the point of commenting this in a thread where people are sharing that they do have tattoos?  The thread isn't asking for anyone's opinion on tattoos, just if you have them.  So you (and many others) basically came in here to say, "I think what you have on your body is ugly/wrong/whatever."

?????

The original question was do I have one? I answered the question. I Personally do not find them attractive. How is that not showing respect??  I did not write what I think of people who have them at all.  If I did that then I would not be showing respect.

• Like 1

I have three. They're all large and visible- that's not a problem for me. They were all original art drawn for me by the artist (well, one is a quote so I guess it's not art) and well thought out. I didn't start getting tattoo'd until after I was 30. I am saving for my fourth, which will either be a rose half sleeve or two large roses on my shoulder and arm. All are black and grey. I love mine. They are part of a metamorphosis to me-- it's all very personal so I don't tend to tell people the "meanings" behind my tattoos. It's enough that they are meaningful to me, IFYWIM. 

I have three. First was when I was 18- a small lizard. Had meaning at the time. Not so much 30 years later. Next was a Chinese symbol for happiness and good luck on my ankle. My best friend and I got them on spring break when we were 21. Matching. We planned the idea and picked the symbol when we got there. Last is a larger, more detailed mermaid on my back. Planned and drawn for me. I do love it. It doesn't really have any specific meaning that I'm aware of, but I have always been drawn to mermaids. I don't regret any. If I could make one disappear, it would be the lizard.

• 3 years later...