Menu

What would you pay for this breakfast in a nicer casual restaurant?

Julie in CA

Do you mean the other café in my town? If so, the price difference is because they use med eggs and the cheapest bread, and even with that, the restaurant food supply rep says that the other café will be unable to sustain those prices for very long. The other place is also a very different style than mine, and is likely to appeal to a slightly different target market. I don't think I can compete with them price-wise with those things in mind. :-/

Do you mean the other café in my town? If so, the price difference is because they use med eggs and the cheapest bread, and even with that, the restaurant food supply rep says that the other café will be unable to sustain those prices for very long. The other place is also a very different style than mine, and is likely to appeal to a slightly different target market. I don't think I can compete with them price-wise with those things in mind. :-/

Price things well for your cafe. I would pay more to go to your place, it's lovely and we know the food is fabulous!

Know your customers. Where I live, people will pay for place/quality. You are trying to attract those who prefer a non-chain restaurant. Quite honestly, I don't pay for others to make me breakfast because I just don't care. BUT! my family loves a good restaurant breakfast.

Even the most fabulous $3 breakfast wouldn't get me showered and dressed early on a weekend. OTOH, my dh and daughters LOVE a good restaurant breakfast, and have their favs. Dh does try to keep it to around $30/$35 before tip. Dh wouldn't take the girls to a Denny's unless they were on a crazy road trip and had to; no way, no how. They go out for breakfast for good food and ambiance/community. It doesn't matter that I have free range eggs and organic everything in the fridge. They really enjoy eating in cute/delicious breakfast places.

You are offering something most people could easily prepare if they wanted to. Don't undercut yourself if you don't have to.

How much does it cost you to produce, including proportion of overheads, taxes, etc. allocated to each meal?  What do you need to set aside for a rainy day/future developments?  You've probably thought through all this, but I thought I'd mention it.....

L

This really depends on where you live.  Here in Far-Far-Away, that would easily go for $15-$20 in a nice restaurant, $13-$15 at Dennys.

???

Denny's online menus shows 2 eggs, 2 bacon or sausage, and 2 pancakes for $4.  Even if you couldn't do a direct substitution, I doubt 2 pieces of toast or a biscuit is going to cost $10.

OP - for quality food I think $7-8 is reasonable, but I'm not sure what your local market supports.

Oh, I've done all of the calculating. Food cost needs to fall at no more than 30%. That two egg breakfast as I'm serving it is right at that 30% maximum.

Funny story.

There is a TV show called Bar Rescue. The "rescuer" was quizzing the cook at a bar about food costs. The cook said food costs should be 90%. Uh, no.

Could you keep this basic meal on the low side...then make up for it by charging a tad more for more special items like French toast made with your special bread, etc.? 

Here, we have a place called Ann Slathers.  It is in the formerly Swedish part of Chicago, and has a few Swedish specialties on the menu. But what really draws folks in are the HUGE cinnemon rolls that come with everything on the breakfast menu. 

Since you are one great baker, make a signature cinnamon roll or muffin or something that is not $$$ to make in bulk and hand it out with EVERY b'fast.  Folks will love it and come back often. Works for Ann Slathers. Much more memorable than toast, no matter how good the bread is.  People will think they are getting good value, too.

I'd charge $6 or some round number. Our favorite nice casual breakfast/brunch place's menu: http://www.westeggcafe.com/media/pdf/10.11.13_Breakfast_Menu.pdf

They charge $8 but include grits or skillet potatoes. :)

Yep, without potatoes I'd say $6-7.  And, without potatoes, I'd probably still be hungry - but wouldn't order an additional item.  :leaving:

Could you keep this basic meal on the low side...then make up for it by charging a tad more for more special items like French toast made with your special bread, etc.? 

Here, we have a place called Ann Slathers.  It is in the formerly Swedish part of Chicago, and has a few Swedish specialties on the menu. But what really draws folks in are the HUGE cinnemon rolls that come with everything on the breakfast menu. 

Since you are one great baker, make a signature cinnamon roll or muffin or something that is not $$$ to make in bulk and hand it out with EVERY b'fast.  Folks will love it and come back often. Works for Ann Slathers. Much more memorable than toast, no matter how good the bread is.  People will think they are getting good value, too.

Tee hee ... it's Ann Sather's - although "Slathers" definitely reflects the style there!

:drool5:

If this was in response to my post (not sure), I looked up the prices here locally (on the East Coast) and gave you those prices. Both restaurants fit your description of your restaurant and one of them even has similar decor.  They both have excellent food. There may be price differences for food from where you are, but you asked all of us what we'd pay. I was trying to be helpful by looking up actual prices of similar restaurants for you.

If this was in response to my post (not sure), I looked up the prices here locally (on the East Coast) and gave you those prices. Both restaurants fit your description of your restaurant and one of them even has similar decor.  They both have excellent food. There may be price differences for food from where you are, but you asked all of us what we'd pay. I was trying to be helpful by looking up actual prices of similar restaurants for you.

I wasn't sure if you meant that you'd checked where you were, or if you'd checked where I am.  :001_smile:

It sounded like you were describing my closest competition in town here!

At our restaurant we offer this exact breakfast at $4.99 at 22 per cent food cost with no garnish.

2 ex-lg. eggs .34

2 slices bacon .43

butter/oil blend .04

1 oz. butter for toast .17

2 slices sourdough .46

2 oz. jam .48

garnish .05

$1.97 in food cost

Menu item price $5.99

22% food cost would be great, but I'm not hitting it!  :huh:

$6-$7 tops.    I would starve before paying what most people here are suggesting.  For $10 I could buy all the ingredients, make it myself, and feed my whole family and a couple of guests...

:iagree:  but if I were travelling I'd probably pay the $6-7 as long as the coffee was free refills and I could get a side of hash browns for around $2 ;) .  

For those of you who have to pay $10+ for breakfast; are the food prices that much higher at the store as well? 

Here in the Midwest (Indiana):

Eggs run about $1.50 (plain white) to 3.50 veggie fed/cage free, brown, or local farmer free range around $4 per dozen(or green, blue, pink, ones from my sister for free) .  Bacon used to be cheaper but runs around $4-$4.50 per pound now.  12 grain bread is about $3 per loaf or bakery bread maybe $4.00. So that works out to be between $1.25 +/- to $2.00 per person. Okay now I'm hungry.

:iagree: but if I were travelling I'd probably pay the $6-7 as long as the coffee was free refills and I could get a side of hash browns for around $2 ;) .

For those of you who have to pay $10+ for breakfast; are the food prices that much higher at the store as well?

Here in the Midwest (Indiana):
Eggs run about $1.50 (plain white) to 3.50 veggie fed/cage free, brown, or local farmer free range around $4 per dozen(or green, blue, pink, ones from my sister for free) . Bacon used to be cheaper but runs around $4-$4.50 per pound now. 12 grain bread is about $3 per loaf or bakery bread maybe $4.00. So that works out to be between $1.25 +/- to $2.00 per person. Okay now I'm hungry.

Organic, cage free eggs are at least $4/doz. Thick, quality bacon is $4-6/pkg but the packages are now 8-12oz, not 16oz.

I don't go out to breakfast because it's cheaper than cooking at home. I go out so we can each order our favorites (one kid wants pancakes, one wants French toast? No problem!), and all the meals are delivered at the same time. I'm not stuck eating cold eggs and cleaning the kitchen. :)

I wouldn't normally pay it, but those are the prices here (SW FL) for normal nice casual breakfast places (not Denny's, Perkins, etc.)

Near my Mom's house in Central Florida, they are a little cheaper.  

There's a chain called First Watch which does just breakfast/lunch.  Here's their menu.  I'm guessing it's in the 6-8 range there, but it's been awhile since I've gone.

http://www.firstwatch.com/menu

There's also the Peach Valley Cafe…which is nice.  It would be $4.99 for eggs, hash browns, toast/biscuit…and add $2.99 if you want breakfast meat

http://www.peachvalleyrestaurants.com/menu.php#eggs-menu

For organic cage-free eggs here, it's around $4.50/dozen.  We buy Applewood Turkey bacon…and get 2 packages for $10 at BJs.  Nice 12 grain bread from Publix's bakery is $3.99/loaf.

I love love love Ann Sathers. Now I have a craving for cinnamon rolls.....