Menu

Decisions: Please tell us where and why?

Hmm, I just had a student talk with hubby yesterday as he was contemplating joining the Navy with an end goal of getting a job with the FBI.  He had heard they show preference to veterans.

However, he's not a religious student, so a place like PHC would not be a good fit.  I wonder if there are other similar schools, but without the Christian (or any other religious) aspect?

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first time in a long time that I have been able to visit over here...it's been a crazy-busy time in our lives.  But I am happy to report that my ds will be attending the College of Wooster, in Wooster, Ohio.  Funny thing about it is that Wooster wasn't even on the original "final" list of where he was applying (Skidmore, Rider, TCU, U of Houston as a backup if none of those worked out).  He was working on apps, and in December or maybe January, he received a little postcard in the mail, inviting him to apply for a Wooster scholarship for African-American students called the Clarence Beecher Allen Scholarship.  We looked the college up on the web, and found that it had a geology department (his intended major...if he doesn't switch to English!), and found that it is very close to where DH grew up and still has some family.  It is a small LAC, which is what I was trying to steer him towards.  It has opportunities for him to continue playing French horn, and even has a marching band (that wears KILTS, btw).  We shrugged our shoulders, and added Wooster to the common app, and applied for the scholarship, but I really didn't expect anything to come of it.  Well, we found out around the end of January or early February that he was a finalist for the scholarship, and he had to go to Wooster for the competition.  We both had the most fantastic visit there, even though it was super cold and I got my rental car stuck in the snow!  Everyone was so friendly and helpful, and DS really liked his overnight stay and his visit to an upper-level geology class.  The sessions for parents were extremely helpful, too.  When acceptances/denials started rolling in, he had been accepted to Wooster, Rider, and TCU.  When the financial aid packages came, Wooster ended up being the only one that we could actually afford (and he was awarded the Allen Scholarship), but that was his top choice by then so it all worked out fantastically.

So, here are the things we like about Wooster:

1. It is a LAC with a geology department and major.  Many colleges have "environmental studies," but not geology.
  2. We both really like the fact that every student who graduates from Wooster does an Independent Study project.  Each student works one-on-one with a faculty mentor, and they complete a unique project which teaches the skills of managing a large, long-term project.  Wooster bills itself as "America’s premier college for mentored undergraduate research," and it is one of the "Colleges That Change Lives" because of this aspect.
  3. They have a new space called APEX that houses the offices of Academic Advising, Career Planning, Entrepreneurship, Experiential Learning, the Learning Center, and the Registrar.  All in one place.  If a student is in one office and needs help or guidance from another office, it makes it simple for the student.  And it makes it simpler for the staff in those offices to communicate about a student.
  4. Wooster seems to be very focused on student retention.  If a student is doing poorly academically, the prof sends an Interim Report to the Academic Affairs office.  One really bad Interim, or a couple of Interims earns the student at trip to that office, and possibly a visit with the Dean of Students.  They will advise the student on where to get help, even with things like time management and personal care (eating and sleeping well).  So, a bit of a safety net without actual hand holding, because of course it is still up to the struggling student to put into place whatever recommendations they get. 
  5. It felt like a community, and my DS really felt comfortable there.
  6. It is close to my dh's family, so there's someone close by in case of a true emergency.

Now, it's all about the little odds and ends that need to be done to get him there. 

Congratulations CAMom! I am sure she will enjoy it. I have only heard good things from all the parents and students (at least 10 or more families) that have attended that school. One of the students got into Harvard Law School, another to Wake Forest Law School, another to U. of Chicago, etc. So no worries about academic rigor. All God's best for all her future endeavors!

I've actually been hesitant to give my dd's decision because I know that lots of people disapprove (not necessarily here but anywhere).

She's chosen Patrick Henry.

There are many reasons why:

1) She didn't get into an Ivy. Princeton was her dream that didn't come true. She did get into Boston University but there was virtually no financial aid offered and there's no way we could afford it without aid.

2) She is really excited about the Strategic Intelligence track of their government major. She dreams of working for the FBI and kids on that track can graduate with security clearance. 

3) She got really good financial aid-both academic aid and forensics aid. 

4) She has some really good friends already there and a couple of friends starting there in the fall. Since she will be all the way across the country, it will be nice to have people she knows. She will be rooming with a friend.

5) There are some really good internship opportunities.

6) It's outside of DC and being that close to the Capitol makes her really happy. :)

I was surprised when she decided to apply at PHC but I actually think it's a really good fit for her and I think she will be really happy there.

This is the first time in a long time that I have been able to visit over here...it's been a crazy-busy time in our lives.  But I am happy to report that my ds will be attending the College of Wooster, in Wooster, Ohio.  

Wooohoooo!!!  I'm one of the Wooster moms that 8 mentioned, and I'm writing you a quick pm to fill you in on the wonderful geology department (my son's major).

A hearty congratulations to all of the students in this thread!  I'm continually amazed (not really suprised anymore) at all of the wonderful options available for our kids at the end of this homeschool ride and how the colleges so uniquely fit each student/family. 

Dd just sent in the deposit to Furman U.

What she liked about it --

1) The music prof she will be studying with. He is just top-notch and wonderfully supportive.

2) The music opportunities she will have. She has already been promised two amazing highly desirable music positions, and she is only a rising freshman! She feels VERY wanted!

3) The entire music program. The music department is a hidden gem.

4) The location -- the weather in the mountains of SC should be nice!

5) The college -- known for being incredibly supportive and friendly. It also has a beautiful campus.

6) The merit aid -- a full-ride to the college you fell in love with when you first visited is hard to say no to!

The hard part of accepting it  is definitely saying no to Eastman. She has been juggling emails from music profs for the past year, and saying no to people you know personally and pretty well is always hard.

Gwen, if I'm counting right, this means that all four of your dc have received full ride scholarships to their schools?! Congratulations and job well done!

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

My first homeschool graduate will be attending Marietta College in Marietta, Ohio (not Georgia :) )

He was homeschooled all 12 years, can I get an AMEN! Not because he was homeschooled all twelve years but because I finally have one out of the house and using the good sense we tried to instill in him! :)

Why Marietta? Never heard of it, most people in Ohio have not heard of it. Student population is 1400. Liberal arts, town founded by George Washington as the first settlement in Ohio...(being a homeschool mom these details appeal to us...anything we can put a history tag to!) More importantly their crew program started in the eons ago...rowing found our son 3 three years ago and it means the world to him to be with a competitive team that is coached. This team medals at the Dad Vail most years, long history.

Challenges? No athletic scholarships for division III sports and no men's NCAA Div 1 teams usually give scholarships for men..maybe 1%?

Good news? Son participated in Speech/Debate is a great communicator and I forced him through 4 years of my co-op English comp/lit classes so he can write well and speak well...luckily for him, a chunk of his academic scholarship was based on a Socratic Discussion and a timed essay held at the campus....God knew how to prepare him for that moment!

He only applied to one other, Auburn University, his fall back if rowing isn't all that...but I have a feeling it will make his college experience the best...he was elected captain of his rowing team this year and he dedicated 5-6 days a week to rowing (an hour from our home) during most months...this momma is so happy I'll get a break with the driving (am I the only mom with a 19 year old who doesn't care to drive??) sad he'll be a 10 hour drive away, but thrilled he's headed to a great facility with wonderful instructors/coaches!

Can we all go share a celebratory meal/drink somewhere moms of graduates??? Congrats to all!! Excited for our future knowing these kids with purpose and heart are extending that to these universities!

University of Arizona because they have a good Honors College and they still offer almost a full ride merit scholarship. Besides, it's nice to be a big fish in a large pond at a research institution. They get first shot at lab work, internships, campus jobs, mentors, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

OK. So she won't have the opportunity to get a security clearance of any kind. I'll try to dig deeper into what the basis is for that statement on their website.

At any rate, that's not why she chose the school. It appeared to be a bonus that apparently doesn't exist.

Hi CAMom,

Depending on the internship, the company the student interns with does pay for the clearance. Last I heard, almost all of the SI graduates receive clearance (not sure who pays for them all). I know a woman who graduated from PHC in 2012 with security clearance (paid for by the company) and a job in the company where she interned. She is happy to connect with your daughter via email or on FB if your daughter wants more info.

Karen (mom of a PHC history student, class of 2015)

University of Iowa.

Simple, she can live at home, commute, and they offered her a full ride, books, tuition, fees, and then some.

She isn't she she'll stay there permanently. A conservative, Christian, small college would fit her better. However, until she has a couple years under her belt ( and a semester abroad) she is planning on staying here. I think it is a good decision, even for a notorious party school. But she's a studier, quite focused, introverted, and bent on living at home... Ideal for us.

University of Iowa.

Simple, she can live at home, commute, and they offered her a full ride, books, tuition, fees, and then some.

She isn't she she'll stay there permanently. A conservative, Christian, small college would fit her better. However, until she has a couple years under her belt ( and a semester abroad) she is planning on staying here. I think it is a good decision, even for a notorious party school. But she's a studier, quite focused, introverted, and bent on living at home... Ideal for us.

I was *trying* to convince ds to apply there last fall. It's a very solid school!