Menu

What are your newspaper comments like??

Moxie

The comments for our local paper were toxic. I cannot describe how horrible they were. They were racist and abusive. People would make vile comments when there would be a story about someone dying in a car accident. There were even some public hearings because they got so out of hand. The worst were made by a small group, and many people suspect at least some of them didn't even live in the area.

Anyway, about three years ago the paper got rid of anonymous commenting.  All people wanting to comment have to log in via their facebook account. Boom. End of abusive commenting. There might be some chilling of free speech with the loss of anonymous commenting, but people were cancelling their subscriptions to the paper and the paper itself was becoming the story. Something really had to be done because it was just beyond acceptable. Threats had been made to people, the police had got involved, it was just nasty.

comments on local stories here can be quite awful. A couple years ago a student of mine died in a motor bike accident and there were comments about how he was just one less loser for the town to deal with. I was sick when I read them--this was someone's 16 yo son. 

I think anonymous commenting is a big problem. 

The comments for our local paper were toxic. I cannot describe how horrible they were. They were racist and abusive. People would make vile comments when there would be a story about someone dying in a car accident. There were even some public hearings because they got so out of hand. The worst were made by a small group, and many people suspect at least some of them didn't even live in the area.

Anyway, about three years ago the paper got rid of anonymous commenting.  All people wanting to comment have to log in via their facebook account. Boom. End of abusive commenting. There might be some chilling of free speech with the loss of anonymous commenting, but people were cancelling their subscriptions to the paper and the paper itself was becoming the story. Something really had to be done because it was just beyond acceptable. Threats had been made to people, the police had got involved, it was just nasty.

They did the same thing here; everyone has to log in via their facebook account. It keeps the crazies away.