Menu

Am I Unreasonable to Ask for Information?

Jean in Newcastle

Dd is signed up for all day activities next week at the Y.  Other than the day, the general activity for the day (tomorrow is swimming) and the drop off/pick up time, they have told us NOTHING.  At the very least I need to know if they provide meals or if I need to pack my dd a lunch.  It would be nice to know what kinds of things she should have with her as well - do they provide towels for instance? - but it wouldn't hurt to pack some things "just in case".    The front desk at the Y knows nothing.  Dd e-mailed the person in charge a few days ago and got the generic answer of "Oh - I just haven't gotten around to sending that e-mail out to the parents!"  Did I say that the first activity is tomorrow?  I'm not unreasonable for being ticked at not being provided with this information, am I?  Or would a public school mom somehow just know that meals would be provided or that I should provide a lunch (whichever is the case)?  Do you know?  

Our kids attended a private day camp last summer, and it was the same way. I called twice weeks ahead of time asking for details. No one returned my calls. I emailed, and was told they were sending the details soon. My kids have allergies and I needed to work our meals. The weekend before, they finally sent out an email on what to bring, and the schedule. I packed my kids food anyways.

We will not be participating this year. Sorry, you are dealing with similar frustrations.

Can you call the person? I think it makes sense that you need more info. Is the swimming around lunch time? If not, maybe they expect you to pick up the child and feed them afterwards.

Since the drop off time is 9 am and the pick up time is 5 pm, I hope they don't expect me to just feed her afterwards!  And I don't know when the swimming will actually take place.  I think they will have a bit of a drive to get to their destination.  

i tried googling ymca easter day camp, and lots of the ymca's have info online.  i don't know where you are, but looking at a few may give you a clue.

my hunch is that nothing except craft materials would be provided, so for tomorrow maybe pack a towel (and a plastic bag for wet towel and bathing suit to come home in), and lunch and snacks.  

hth,

ann

eg.  here's a link to mission valley's camp http://www.missionvalley.ymca.org/programs/camp/policies.html

and here's what houston's camp has to say about what they will need there:

SWIMMING AND WATER ACTIVITIES 
Campers will need appropriate swimwear (one piece swimsuit for 
girls and basic swim trunks for boys), a towel, goggles if desired and 
sunscreen. Spray sunscreen and swim shoes are recommended. No 
water wings, inner tubes or other inflatable devices are allowed in 
Y pools. All campers will be swim tested daily to determine their 
swimming ability. Five-year-olds do not participate in recreational 
swim. 

DAILY CAMPER NEEDS 
- Healthy Snacks/Lunch - Water Bottle (Must Have) 
- Towel - Spray Sunscreen 
- Comfortable Play Clothes - Bug Spray 
- Cap/Visor - Good Attitude 
- Swimsuit (Girls must wear a one - Close-Toed/Close-Heeled 
piece bathing suit. Boys must wear Athletic Shoes 
basic swim trunks.) 

Campers Do Not Need: 
- Cell Phones - Make Up 
- Electronic Devices - iPods or MP3 Players 
- Toys/Stuffed Animals - Bad Attitude 
- Money - Weapons 
- Trading Cards - Jewelry

They SHOULD have told you, but there's no point in stressing that they didn't. Just send everything she 'might' need on Day 1. After a day at camp you can edit the daily packing list.

Yes. Send a lunch and a snack or two. A towel and a suit. Is there a reason you need to know when swimming takes place?

Yes. Send a lunch and a snack or two. A towel and a suit. Is there a reason you need to know when swimming takes place?

No.  I don't care when it is scheduled during the day.  I was just answering someone else's question about when it might be.  

Each day is a different activity.  So what to take will vary from activity to activity.  I would assume whether you pack a lunch or not will not vary.  I'm not overly stressed.  Just a bit ticked at the lack of organizational skills of those in charge.  (I wouldn't be quite so ticked if it wasn't a general trend lately.  And if it didn't usually involve the same person at the top who is dropping the ball.)  Knowing would make my life easier, though, esp. if we don't have to pack a lunch.  

I think you have every reason to be ticked.

It is unreasonable to expect people to drop off their children (their children!) without telling them exactly where their children will be and what they need. If the children are going off-site, parents must know where and when. Period.

Finally got the e-mail in which she apologized that she had thought that she had sent it out on Friday until a parent (guess who!) had pointed out that she hadn't sent it.  There was an attachment with it of a form that we have to send with the kids.   :glare:    So this was about more than just whether I should pack a ham and cheese sandwich.  The sandwich is made.  Dd has a bag packed with a towel and swimsuit.  And I've filled out the form.  

I'm glad you finally got in touch with them. I'd probably go with a non-meat item like pb&j out of fear that the lunch would just sit out for a couple hours in the back of a hot bus or something. But maybe you have a freezer pack to put in the lunch box. I hope your dd has fun!

I would not send peanut butter on Day 1 of anything.

My daughters attend a couple of different camps and I've learned that the kids are really good about asking each other about potential allergies.  I'm still not comfortable sending straight up peanut butter anywhere, but when they come home and tell me nobody in their session has a nut allergy, I stop fretting about snacks that may have been processed on equipment or in a facility that's also processed nuts.

If someone can overlook sending a supply list so easily, I'd be afraid they'd also easily overlook an allergy.

Do you live in a small town? We moved from a HUGE suburban area outside of Baltimore city to a small town in Pennsylvania. I had a bit of culture shock. Except for doctors' offices and a grocery store, no local businesses have answering machines. And everyone closes by 7:00, some places close at 5:00. I don't know how people who have 9-5 jobs get to anything. There was an event in town and the only directions were, "It's by the old Merriam place." Wha...? Everything feels "fly by the seats of your pants" here.

I don't like it. I long for professionalism.

But, then again, the people are so nice and friendly. When you walk into the local diner everyone looks up to see who you are, because they probably know you.

So...in this town, it wouldn't surprise me if there was no info given, but I would be very annoyed.

I agree about odd questions from the Y. Y camp wanted me to summarize my dc's personalities in a word (from a weird, short list) and a bunch of other annoying, none-of-your-business type questions that I didn't answer. Scouts, in contrast, wanted an address and contact phone number.

I would not send peanut butter on Day 1 of anything.

My daughters attend a couple of different camps and I've learned that the kids are really good about asking each other about potential allergies.  I'm still not comfortable sending straight up peanut butter anywhere, but when they come home and tell me nobody in their session has a nut allergy, I stop fretting about snacks that may have been processed on equipment or in a facility that's also processed nuts.

If someone can overlook sending a supply list so easily, I'd be afraid they'd also easily overlook an allergy.

As the mom of an allergy kid, thank you for being so thoughtful. :)