Menu

Singapore 6?

vaquitita

My oldest skipped most of PM 6. We did a few chapters in 6B on statistics & probability that she wouldn't get to in DM 7 until after the state test in order to keep our charter happy. We used the TM and it was fine. It is very similar to the U.S. edition HIG (DD used the U.S. edition for PM 3 before we switched to the Stds. ed.)

I haven't seen the TM for MiF middle school books except for the samples on CBD but from those samples I would say that the guidance is MUCH better than what is found in the TM for Singapore DM. If you're not confident in your ability to teach middle school math, I would go with MiF for that reason (assuming that you're got the budget for it).

DM has some VERY challenging problems in it (similar to the level of problems in the AOPS Pre-Algebra and Intro to Algebra books I looked through last fall). MiF doesn't apppear from the samples to have those super-difficult problems. That makes sense if you think about the intended audience for the books. DM is intended for kids who have tested into the highest-level track in Singapore. MiF is designed for use in a mixed-ability class.

• Like 1

If you like Singapore PM, I would finish up through 5B and then make the switch to MiF Course 1. MiF and Singapore appear to take a similar approach to math AFAIK. I wouldn't recommend jumping into either program at the middle school level from a more procedural math program like Saxon or Horizons.

I've taken two kids through SM 6a and 6b and wouldn't hesitate to use it again. I think it's good practice and worthwhile in solidifying elementary math. Plus, they're pretty quick. I think we did both between like July and December. If SM5a and 5b are working, I'd suggest just plowing on.

• Like 1

This is fascinating, as I had no idea. We will soon be finishing 5b in a few months. I assumed we'd continue on with 6a/b.

What do most people do at this point? What are the best options? This is overwhelming!

:bigear:   I didn't realize 6 was a review level either!  We are only starting 3, but we're covering about 1.5 levels per year, so this question interests me too!  I think for age/maturity reasons, we would probably continue and do 6, but now I'm very curious what others do!!! 

Would there be any reason NOT to use US 6a/b after using standards 1-5? The price difference is considerable, the HIGs are much cheaper than the teachers book. Standards 6 with teachers book is close in price to MiF.

I would suggest taking a look through them before deciding. Some kids need that review, but others don't. If MM 7 is out by the time you need to make a decision that would be something to look at as well. MM tends to have a somewhat slower S&S so MM 6 is more like Singapore PM 5. But presumably MM 7 would have info not covered in PM 5. MM would definitely be a cheaper option than MiF.

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat as others.  We have used Singapore all the way through and are finishing 5B Standards now.  I had no reason to think we would not just finish up through 6A/6B.  This is still my plan as dd could use the extra practice but I am keeping a close watch on this thread.  

My daughter needed 6A and 6B, but worked through them in less than a year. The teacher's guides were not helpful at all and expensive, I found better explanations in the 5 HIGs and my Dolciana Pre-Algebra. My son will probably be able to skip 6 or work through it even faster. It is not totally review, it does bump up a level in difficulty. Working through 6 helped make Dolciani Pre-Algebra be easy so far, it would have been tougher if she skipped 6. She loves Singapore, so I didn't mind, as math is not her best or favorite subject, but she does like the layout and style of Singapore.

• Like 1

We did go through 6a/b. first 4 chapter was like a day or 2 a chapter, it went really quick! It was most review. . However, Propotional, rate in 6 was worth to go through. If you have kid can use some review, I will not skip it.

We got our teacher manual on amazon for 15 dollars

• Like 2

My daughter needed 6A and 6B, but worked through them in less than a year. The teacher's guides were not helpful at all and expensive, I found better explanations in the 5 HIGs and my Dolciana Pre-Algebra. My son will probably be able to skip 6 or work through it even faster. It is not totally review, it does bump up a level in difficulty. Working through 6 helped make Dolciani Pre-Algebra be easy so far, it would have been tougher if she skipped 6. She loves Singapore, so I didn't mind, as math is not her best or favorite subject, but she does like the layout and style of Singapore.

This was helpful.  Thanks.  I will stop panicking for a while (about math anyway....science is a different situation.....)

We did all of Singapore 6A/B, back before Singapore had the HIG options, and it really was not a problem. We just had the text and workbook and were fine -- for ease of grading, also get a solutions book.

We also found 6A/B to be quite worthwhile, both as a culminating practice through problem-solving of the skills learned in the previous levels, and as good advance practice in problem-solving for going onto either a Pre-Algebra or Algebra 1 program.

6A/B go at a gentle-enough pace that you can easily add in something else as needed/desired for supplement. Back about 8 years ago (before all this newer cool math stuff was available) when DS#1 was doing Singapore 6A/B for his spine I actually had him doing a skim-review of Saxon 7/6 as his supplement… LOTS of great things to choose from now -- AoPS Pre-Algebra; LoF Pre-Algebra; Math Mammoth; a formal Pre-Algebra program -- even Keys to Algebra series could be a great "intro" to Algebra after Singapore 6A/B...

So those who did 6a/b, you just got text and workbook and worked through those?
What do most people do after that, 7a/b? Or something else?

TammyW: the Singapore Primary levels stop at 6A/B, so there is no 7A/B. The choice then is if you want to stick with Singapore, which secondary level of math do you want to go with:

Singapore New Elementary

Singapore Discovering Mathematics

Singapore Dimensions

All three options are geared for grades 7-10 (or 8-11), with 4 levels for each. Each program option integrates the topics of Pre-Algebra, Alg. 1, Geometry, Alg. 2, and Trigonometry, so there are no separate texts for each of those separate topics.

Most people do switch away from Singapore after 6A/B, and either go with a Pre-Algebra program, or, if the student is really solid/advanced, move on to an Algebra 1 program. Lots of variation at this point of what people choose to go with, depending on family needs. Most do not go with Saxon, but some do; more tend to go with options such as:

- Chalkdust (Alg. 1 thru Calculus)

- Art of Problem Solving (Pre-Alg., thru Calculus)

- Forester (Alg. 1, Alg. 2)

- Dolciani (Pre-Algebra, Alg. 1, Alg. 2)

- Lial (Alg. 1, Alg. 2, Geometry, Pre-Calc)

- Jacobs (Alg. 1, Geom)

Hope that helps! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 3

We did go through 6a/b. first 4 chapter was like a day or 2 a chapter, it went really quick! It was most review. . However, Propotional, rate in 6 was worth to go through. If you have kid can use some review, I will not skip it.

T is doing 6A now and we've had the same experience as Jenny. Some of the chapters can be done in a day or two because they're all review or a very light introduction to a new topic (algebraic expressions for example). I already owned the books so I'm glad to go through them and they are very good for solidifying arithmetic skills before moving on. I wouldn't bother buying a TM unless you need the answer key. I've always just followed along with T's calculations to see if it's right and I haven't hit any stumpers in the 6A material so far.

We did text, workbook, IP and CWP. IP in book 6 is very very challenging.

We also did the key to algebra along with SM 6 since I felt most sm6 were review. He moved on to AOPS algebra after that. We really treated sm 6 with key to algebra as our pre algebra ( I came from Taiwan, we do not have such thing as preA)

• 1 year later...

DS is mathy, but given the risk the standards edition will go out of print before we get to the decision point for 6A/6B I'm just going to buy it. At worst it will become a quick review before moving on to another program. I won't bother with the teacher's manuals, however, being quite mathy myself. :)

We also found 6A/B to be quite worthwhile, both as a culminating practice through problem-solving of the skills learned in the previous levels, and as good advance practice in problem-solving for going onto either a Pre-Algebra or Algebra 1 program.

This is why we chose to continue on with 6A/B. My daughter is young for her grade and while she is solid in math she is sloppy. We thought another year to solidify her skills would be a good idea. 6A/B are shorter than most of the other levels so I expect there to be time to supplement with something else like AOPS.