Menu

LDS General Conference thread :)

maize

Doesn't look like anyone has started a thread, so I thought I would start up the semi-annual LDS conference discussion thread, with conference starting in just a few minutes.

I have a question, why do we call the April conference an annual general conference and the October conference a semi-annual conference--wouldn't they both be semi-annual since conference happens twice a year? Maybe it used to be only once a year in April so that gets the annual designation--does anyone know?

And Elder Holland hits another one out of the park!  Wow...very powerful talk.  I'm going to need to listen to that one several more times.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

That was an amazing talk.

Sounded to me like this:

"Forward, march!"

I think Elder Eyring's talk spoke to me the most this morning. I've been studying a lot about Adam and Eve and the Fall since his comments at the General Women's Conference last weekend. The idea that immediate reward for righteousness could inhibit the growth of faith was profound.

I also really loved Elder Holland's talk, and his comment that the straight and narrow path is very narrow at certain points really struck me.

I think Elder Eyring's talk spoke to me the most this morning. I've been studying a lot about Adam and Eve and the Fall since his comments at the General Women's Conference last weekend. The idea that immediate reward for righteousness could inhibit the growth of faith was profound.

I also really loved Elder Holland's talk, and his comment that the straight and narrow path is very narrow at certain points really struck me.

Interestingly, I felt that Elder Eyring's talk at the women's conference was less focused and complete than usual; today's talk felt like the completion of that talk.

The overall "theme" I took away from the morning session revolved around the power of covenants and security in following God's prophets.

What are the steps you personally take to prepare for general conference? Do you just go along as you usually do? Do you attend the temple? Is there something different that you do in your daily life to prepare? I used to try to get to the temple, read or watch past conference talks. I also used to take notes during each talk but have found that I now get confused as I'm writing what I just heard that touched me and trying to listen to what's being said! DS just returned home last week from mission and family members are visiting. 

Other than buying the food we don't do much. I try to keep it as simple as possible. I think of it as a "weekend of rest", an extended Sabbath, where we rest and relax and just listen. :) I used to take notes too, but stopped for the same reason: got too busy writing down something that was just said that I missed what was said next! :p

Holland made me cry (sad tears--I was basically heartbroken by an uncharacteristically judgmental message coming from him). Andersen made me sob. I couldn't listen to more after that. The cliffs notes aren't promising. I've been trying to find the good in the church, but today was *rough*.

This evening at Temple Square I witnessed some very brave and faithful women follow what they believe The Lord would have them do. I was there to show my love and support for them even though I did not participate because they are our sisters. They were polite, quiet, respectful, and stayed to ask one by one because they were invited to do so. The church banned the media from witnessing the event and then released a press statement that said the women didn't follow directions (they did) and didn't leave when asked (they weren't asked).

I'm feeling extremely raw and discouraged right now. Sad day.

((Laura)). I'm sorry you're feeling hurt and raw. If you decide to listen to more, I hope you find something to soothe your heart.

Thoughts on the afternoon session anyone?

I really loved the talk about listening with empathy and trying to understand others's POV and responding with "ministering grace". Was that Elder Zwick?

Oh man...my DH is gonna be so mad he missed this. He must have forgotten it was this weekend. He usually skips church to watch online because he doesnt like to wait the extra weeks for it to get to us.

I don't usually watch myself...too much same old..same old. DH will let me know if there is anything new. Yeah I know...I'm a bad LDS person.

Holland made me cry (sad tears--I was basically heartbroken by an uncharacteristically judgmental message coming from him). Andersen made me sob. I couldn't listen to more after that. The cliffs notes aren't promising. I've been trying to find the good in the church, but today was *rough*.

This evening at Temple Square I witnessed some very brave and faithful women follow what they believe The Lord would have them do. I was there to show my love and support for them even though I did not participate because they are our sisters. They were polite, quiet, respectful, and stayed to ask one by one because they were invited to do so. The church banned the media from witnessing the event and then released a press statement that said the women didn't follow directions (they did) and didn't leave when asked (they weren't asked).

If it's any encouragement to you my friend who was involved actually came away from the day feeling very uplifted. I haven't had a chance to talk with her about details yet.

I disagree with what OW is trying to do, but there are people I care about who are involved.

Oh man...my DH is gonna be so mad he missed this. He must have forgotten it was this weekend. He usually skips church to watch online because he doesnt like to wait the extra weeks for it to get to us.

I don't usually watch myself...too much same old..same old. DH will let me know if there is anything new. Yeah I know...I'm a bad LDS person.

Being on the other side of the world does complicate things! At least it is online now, I remember having to wait for VHS tapes to arrive...

Now that I'm in Utah I would actually have to try pretty hard to avoid GC--it's on the radio, on TV, on the computer...
:)

That press statement surprised me since everyone was personally greeted at the door. It sounds like the woman who turned everyone away wasn't consulted about the wording. I have very mixed feelings about many things from yesterday.

If it's any encouragement to you my friend who was involved actually came away from the day feeling very uplifted. I haven't had a chance to talk with her about details yet.

I disagree with what OW is trying to do, but there are people I care about who are involved.

There were a lot of very mixed emotions: hope, despair, sorrow, peace, etc. I saw tears and then smiles and laughter and then more tears. Afterward we went to a conference room at a nearby hotel to process the experience. More smiles, more tears.

That press statement surprised me since everyone was personally greeted at the door. It sounds like the woman who turned everyone away wasn't consulted about the wording. I have very mixed feelings about many things from yesterday.

Yes, at one point the man behind her told her that she should stop greeting the women because it had been going on for awhile. She said she would stay because she wanted the women to feel welcome and heard. She was very kind. The male ushers and various church members on the square were not so kind.

There were a lot of very mixed emotions: hope, despair, sorrow, peace, etc. I saw tears and then smiles and laughter and then more tears. Afterward we went to a conference room at a nearby hotel to process the experience. More smiles, more tears.

Yes, at one point the man behind her told her that she should stop greeting the women because it had been going on for awhile. She said she would stay because she wanted the women to feel welcome and heard. She was very kind. The male ushers and various church members on the square were not so kind.

I was irritated that a woman was turning everyone away (she can't go in, but she gets the job of turning others away?), but then after reading about her squaring her shoulders and doing things her way, I wonder how the decision to have her there came about.

I just listened again to Elder Holland's talk. I found it profoundly doctrinal and encouraging.

"Unfortunately, messengers of divinely mandated commandments are often no more popular today than they were anciently."

"So if love is to be our watchword, and it must be, then by the word of he who is love personified we must forsake transgression and any hint of advocacy for it in others. Jesus clearly understood what many in our modern culture seem to forget; that there is a crucial difference between the commandment to forgive sin, which he had an infinite capacity to do, and the warning against condoning it, which he never, ever did, even once."

Such words will never be popular. Testifying of truth is not about popularity or avoiding offense at all costs.

The instructions OW didn't follow were the ones given in a previous letter to them, asking them to keep their protest off of Temple Square.

I sympathize with the women of OW, I really do, and I don't believe women holding the priesthood is as much a doctrinal impossibility as some say it is, but their methods make me uncomfortable, and I believe are causing them to lose ground for their cause.

The instructions OW didn't follow were the ones given in a previous letter to them, asking them to keep their protest off of Temple Square.

I sympathize with the women of OW, I really do, and I don't believe women holding the priesthood is as much a doctrinal impossibility as some say it is, but their methods make me uncomfortable, and I believe are causing them to lose ground for their cause.

I am bothered that their single minded efforts seem to ignore the opinions and desires of the majority of LDS women. I feel like they are demanding their voices be heard while at the same time refusing to hear my voice. I believe doctrine at this time and for this time limits priesthood ordination to men, though I know of no fundamental reason that doctrine could not be changed through revelation. But I personally do not believe that ordaining women is the best way to further the mission of the church, I think that more might be lost than would be gained. I am not in a position to make a determination one way or another on behalf of the church, but I do believe that those leaders who stand at the head of our church and hold the divine mandate and authority to direct it will do so in accordance with divine direction. I see nothing wrong with people who feel things should change voicing their opinions and desires, but sometimes it seems to me that some people are saying "my way is the only way and I'm going to keep pushing the point until you give in"--I just don't think that is how the church works. If this church is directed by God, it is directed by God. Yes, God tells us to knock and ask--but he also tells us he will respond according to what is right, not necessarily according to what we want.

Edited to make an awkwardly worded sentence clearer.

The part of the statement that surprised me was "refusing to leave when asked."  It sounds like they might have been asked not to enter Temple Square by some people, but also invited in by others and they were greeted by an employee of the church at the door of the tabernacle.  I think it's at least a little disingenuous to say they wouldn't leave when asked without a little more context.

I also can see why their actions make others uncomfortable, but I can't see their actions as a protest.  Maybe a demonstration, but not a protest. 

OW's website says they don't have specific plans to do this action again.

I just listened again to Elder Holland's talk. I found it profoundly doctrinal and encouraging.

"Unfortunately, messengers of divinely mandated commandments are often no more popular today than they were anciently."

"So if love is to be our watchword, and it must be, then by the word of he who is love personified we must forsake transgression and any hint of advocacy for it in others. Jesus clearly understood what many in our modern culture seem to forget; that there is a crucial difference between the commandment to forgive sin, which he had an infinite capacity to do, and the warning against condoning it, which he never, ever did, even once."

Such words will never be popular. Testifying of truth is not about popularity or avoiding offense at all costs.

I also listened to Elder Holland's talk again. :iagree:  condoning sinful behavior in another, or making it easier for another to commit sin - is. not. kindness. nor is it compassionate.  making it easier for someone to commit sin - is aiding and abetting someone distancing themselves from God. (and taking ourselves right along with them.)

I'm speaking from real life experience here.   I had a relative who was involved in a very inappropriate relationship for many years. one the scriptures are *very* clear is a no-no.  occasionally, this person would attempt to trick me into condoning the behavior.  ('ain't gonna happen). I remember one conversation when we discussed some of the nitty-gritty of what it was doing to their pscyhe.  when I would point out the contradictory thinking, the only response I would get was "but I love ___", so what? in the long term - that's irrelevant.**  we had enough conversations for this person to know that despite my belief what they were doing was very wrong and damaging to them and it needed to cease no matter how much it hurt, I still loved them and this person knew it.

** dh had a similar conversation with the dd of a friend. she wanted to remarry her abusive ex- because "she loved him". Irrelevant.  dh kept asking her if she could trust him - no - but she "loved him".  within two years, she divorced him a second time.

we are expected to rise above animal instinct.  only in mortality do we have challenges so we can learn to rely upon our spiritual side, and overcome the natural man.

I am bothered that their single minded efforts seem to ignore the opinions and desires of the majority of LDS women. I feel like they are demanding their voices be heard while at the same time refusing to hear my voice. I believe doctrine as it now stands limits priesthood ordination at this time to men, though I know of no fundamental reason that doctrine could not be changed through revelation. But I personally do not believe that ordaining women is the best way to further the mission of the church, I think that more might be lost than would be gained. I am not in a position to make a determination one way or another on behalf of the church, but I do believe that those leaders who stand at the head of our church and hold the divine mandate and authority to direct it will do so in accordance with divine direction. I see nothing wrong with people who feel things should change voicing their opinions and desires, but sometimes it seems to me that some people are saying "my way is the only way and I'm going to keep pushing the point until you give in"--I just don't think that is how the church works. If this church is directed by God, it is directed by God. Yes, God tells us to knock and ask--but he also tells us he will respond according to what is right, not necessarily according to what we want.

a woman I have known for many years was very involved with mormon feminist intelligenstia starting in the 70's.  she isn't anymore.   in hindsight, it is a period she regrets.  she now can see how her rebellious attitudes have damaged her children (and not just their non-existant faith), and how it damaged herself.  

she exposed me to that stuff as a newish convert from a *very* liberal home.  one thing I remember clearly, the spirit just being around it made me physically ill.  (I could contrast that with how I felt the very first time I walked through the doors into a LDS chapel - I felt home for the very first time in my life.)

Gee, we haven't even filled a page yet? Did we all sleep through Conference? :p

What was your favorite talk of the weekend? I found the one by Elder Aidukaitis (the one from Brazil) very uplifting and encouraging. "One should not roam through garbage." I wonder if that was an ab lib line. :lol: He just had such an enthusiasm for the gospel, it was catching! I would love to see him tapped for the Qof12 before he ages-out of being a 70. I want to hear more from him! :)

Try listening (or reading the cliff-notes) from today's sessions. There were several Christ/Atonement centered ones. I bet you'd even find Elder Packer's talk! ;) (really, he was a looooot less controversial this Conference) He seemed to just be bearing his own Testimony of what he's learned of the Godhead in his years on the earth. He was also fairly difficult to understand though (his health seems to be fading considerably), so his talk would probably be one to read.

It kind of felt like that. I did like the bits I heard. I asked DD4 what she learned and she said "be quiet". Guess I need to up my game next conference. :P (She did remember "I stand all amazed" which they're singing in Primary.)

Yes  :blushing:

At least, I slept through most of the Sunday afternoon session. My toddler wasn't feeling well last night and didn't sleep well, which means I didn't get much sleep at all. I took a nap this afternoon and woke up groggy--why is it that sometimes a nap makes you feel worse not better?

Somehow I missed a lot of this morning's session as well, just taking care of littles. I'm going to make an effort to listen to everything this week. I enjoyed the Saturday morning session, but wasn't able to really focus on any of the others.

I'm getting over a cold and did sleep a fair bit. I remember really liking Elder Bednar's talk today. I'm looking forward to digging into it more. Elder Ballards talk about growing up with all his family around spoke to me today, but I don't remember anything else he said after that opening story. I'm glad everything is so immediately available these days that I can start focusing on them one at a time...

I took notes today, Xuzi! I am grateful to be able to read or watch all of conference sessions again. I miss being in Relief Society since I've been in primary for over a year, but I can still use it to help myself progress. Isn't that what this is for? I appreciate that we can discuss it here. Thank you to everyone of you. Most of the time after conference I feel like I don't measure up but this time I feel like I am okay. There is always room for improvement in my life and it is not too late. 

Posting quotes from conference talks and any quotes from our general leaders has helped me a lot too, but I think I need more. :grouphug:

Try listening (or reading the cliff-notes) from today's sessions. There were several Christ/Atonement centered ones. I bet you'd even find Elder Packer's talk! ;) (really, he was a looooot less controversial this Conference) He seemed to just be bearing his own Testimony of what he's learned of the Godhead in his years on the earth. He was also fairly difficult to understand though (his health seems to be fading considerably), so his talk would probably be one to read.

Yes, I had to read the subtitles. It felt like a farewell address to us.

I thought President Monson looked and sounded much healthier this weekend than he has for a long time.

Agree

Yes :blushing:

At least, I slept through most of the Sunday afternoon session. My toddler wasn't feeling well last night and didn't sleep well, which means I didn't get much sleep at all. I took a nap this afternoon and woke up groggy--why is it that sometimes a nap makes you feel worse not better?

Somehow I missed a lot of this morning's session as well, just taking care of littles. I'm going to make an effort to listen to everything this week. I enjoyed the Saturday morning session, but wasn't able to really focus on any of the others.

I fell asleep during the afternoon session today too. I always think I'll just close my eyes and listen . . . doesn't work out well haha!

I really loved Elder Oaks' talk at the priesthood session and Elder Uchtdorf's talk this morning. I need to be more grateful.

I'm looking forward to being able to download and listen to them..

I had planned to watch three sessions of conference as they aired and the fourth at some other time, but ultimately all I was able to watch was about 30 minutes of the Saturday morning session, which I watched Sunday morning while in considerable pain so I can't be sure I actually heard anything at all.  Saturday was my birthday and my daughter had a school thing during the afternoon session.  Sunday I was at Urgent Care listening to a doctor tell me that the pain I was having had a 1 in 1000 chance of being my gallbladder and the nurse basically assuming I was a drug-seeker because I was complaining of pain in my back between my shoulder blades (which the doctor said is NEVER indicative of gallbladder problems).  All I was asking was if Advil could be taken instead of the Tylenol he assured me would take care of the pain (not listening to the fact I had taken Tylenol twice, thrown it up, and it had done nothing to help.  So after taking Tylenol again for what he said was definitely typical gastroenteritis, throwing it up so violently my throat began to bleed, we went to the ER where the PA and doctor said the pain in my abdomen and in my back were "textbook" signs of a gallbladder gone bad.  So I spent the afternoon session of Sunday conference getting an u/s which showed it was indeed my gallbladder just like we thought in the first place, full of little stones and inflamed.  That led to emergency surgery last night to get my gallbladder out and I came home from the hospital late this morning.  So there's my excuse.  At some point I will watch and/or read all the talks.  (And the Urgent Care got kind of creepy... my husband called like they said if there was a change in my condition to tell them I promptly threw up the Tylenol and they said to go to the ER... then they apparently tried to call my husband's cell phone but service in the ER was spotty and it never rang, so they called the ER to ask about my condition... which of course the ER would not provide - HIPPA - and so my husband called them to say it was my gallbladder and we were waiting on the surgeon and then they called again today to ask how I was doing.)

I had planned to watch three sessions of conference as they aired and the fourth at some other time, but ultimately all I was able to watch was about 30 minutes of the Saturday morning session, which I watched Sunday morning while in considerable pain so I can't be sure I actually heard anything at all.  Saturday was my birthday and my daughter had a school thing during the afternoon session.  Sunday I was at Urgent Care listening to a doctor tell me that the pain I was having had a 1 in 1000 chance of being my gallbladder and the nurse basically assuming I was a drug-seeker because I was complaining of pain in my back between my shoulder blades (which the doctor said is NEVER indicative of gallbladder problems).  All I was asking was if Advil could be taken instead of the Tylenol he assured me would take care of the pain (not listening to the fact I had taken Tylenol twice, thrown it up, and it had done nothing to help.  So after taking Tylenol again for what he said was definitely typical gastroenteritis, throwing it up so violently my throat began to bleed, we went to the ER where the PA and doctor said the pain in my abdomen and in my back were "textbook" signs of a gallbladder gone bad.  So I spent the afternoon session of Sunday conference getting an u/s which showed it was indeed my gallbladder just like we thought in the first place, full of little stones and inflamed.  That led to emergency surgery last night to get my gallbladder out and I came home from the hospital late this morning.  So there's my excuse.  At some point I will watch and/or read all the talks.

That's a pretty good excuse. :)  I'm glad you finally got it sorted out and I hope you recover quickly.

I had planned to watch three sessions of conference as they aired and the fourth at some other time, but ultimately all I was able to watch was about 30 minutes of the Saturday morning session, which I watched Sunday morning while in considerable pain so I can't be sure I actually heard anything at all.  Saturday was my birthday and my daughter had a school thing during the afternoon session.  Sunday I was at Urgent Care listening to a doctor tell me that the pain I was having had a 1 in 1000 chance of being my gallbladder and the nurse basically assuming I was a drug-seeker because I was complaining of pain in my back between my shoulder blades (which the doctor said is NEVER indicative of gallbladder problems).  All I was asking was if Advil could be taken instead of the Tylenol he assured me would take care of the pain (not listening to the fact I had taken Tylenol twice, thrown it up, and it had done nothing to help.  So after taking Tylenol again for what he said was definitely typical gastroenteritis, throwing it up so violently my throat began to bleed, we went to the ER where the PA and doctor said the pain in my abdomen and in my back were "textbook" signs of a gallbladder gone bad.  So I spent the afternoon session of Sunday conference getting an u/s which showed it was indeed my gallbladder just like we thought in the first place, full of little stones and inflamed.  That led to emergency surgery last night to get my gallbladder out and I came home from the hospital late this morning.  So there's my excuse.  At some point I will watch and/or read all the talks.  (And the Urgent Care got kind of creepy... my husband called like they said if there was a change in my condition to tell them I promptly threw up the Tylenol and they said to go to the ER... then they apparently tried to call my husband's cell phone but service in the ER was spotty and it never rang, so they called the ER to ask about my condition... which of course the ER would not provide - HIPPA - and so my husband called them to say it was my gallbladder and we were waiting on the surgeon and then they called again today to ask how I was doing.)

I hope you recover quickly, I'm sorry you had such a rough weekend!

That is really messed up and I'm glad you were able to get the help you needed. A couple of months ago I was having bad pain in my abdomen and had dh take me to our local spit in the mud hospital. It was horrible, there was one other couple there that came in after I did and they took them first. My dh asked rather abruptly and aggressively if someone could please see to his wife after we had waited for 30 minutes, they called security, I could barely sign my name, couldn't remember what town my mailing address was, couldn't hardly talk, so we walked out and drove a half hour to another hospital where they took me right in. Gave me a shot for the pain. I had surgery the next morning. I hope your recovery is speedy. Mine has been slower than I thought it would be. :grouphug: