Menu

When + Where Did You Meet Your Spouse?

mom2bee

When I was 17 and he was 22.........at a funeral.  He was attending the funeral at our church for his best friend who had committed suicide and I was serving the luncheon.  I still remember exactly where he sat and he remembers which dress I was wearing

We really met as in getting to know each other 4 years later at church and college/career activities.

We went on one date and which I thought went well but then I never got another call back from him.  We still saw each other at church group things but nothing really happened.  Then almost a year later a friend of mine was getting married so I asked him to go to the wedding with me..................and a year to the day later we were married.

Come to find out his mother (Native American so a bit different culture) had told him that if I liked him and wanted to go out again *I* would ask him out/call him, etc.  Meanwhile, my southern mother had raised me that the guy needs to do the asking..........and therefore I didn't call him..............so we spent about 9 months both liking each other but thinking that the other wasn't interested.

At college...boring but a little twist. His current girlfriend passed out (not from drinking) and I went with her to the hospital. I was her RA. My dh (he was a friend of my roommates so I already knew him) came as well. He and I stayed up talking all night. Even though I had a boyfriend, I kept thinking what a nice guy. We did not date for 8 months after that and both of our relationships had been over for a while. But that is where I really got to know him.

We met in military training, after boot camp. We had been there, waiting for two months. I was friends with his roommate. He had already met me while I was organizing a shuttle somewhere. I was so happy to finally meet him. He already knew me.

I was engaged to another friend of the roommate, who later left me in a puddle of heartbreak.  D was a good friend. We were friends for a year, during which he saw me through multiple disastrous romances. 

Finally I let him out of the friend zone, and here we are 15 years later.

It was a Friday night at the very beginning of junior year in college.  My friend had just gotten a cat so I went over to meet it.  She said she was going to a friend's birthday party next, and if I wasn't doing anything else, no one would mind if I came along.  We got there and she pointed out this guy and started saying something about him, but then the birthday girl came up and she got distracted, and I'll never know what she was going to say about him!  Some time later I was being a wallflower on the edge of the room because I'm shy and the only person I knew there was my friend.  The guy was standing next to me and asked me where I was from.  I said the name of my hometown, which is also the name of a country.  He acted surprised so I thought that he thought I was from that country...turned out he was from the same town!  We started talking about that and kept talking for five hours!  9 months later we got engaged.

This is not a unique story but we met online. We were both on a sci fi/fantasy chat. One friday night I was bored and asked the channel what I should do. He said to drive to Florida to meet him. I don't know what on earth possessed me to take him up on that. What a scary thought to drive to another state to meet a man I only knew online. But we were engaged 5 months later.

We met at a car dealership.

A friend of mine needed a new car.  I went car shopping with her.  He was selling cars.  He was quite smitten with my friend!  :lol:   He asked her out and she went out with him once or twice but they ended up just friends.  I had a boyfriend at the time.

Since they were friends, the group of us started hanging out together where I got to know him a little better.  When I needed a car a year later, I went to him (boyfriend was gone) and I was horrible at choosing, so I had to discuss it with him several times, which usually ended in dinner or coffee. 

We became very good friends and didn't date for another 6 months.  We just started hanging out.  When he told me he was interested in more he also added that he wouldn't want to ruin our friendship.  So we just got engaged!  :laugh:

Oh, and I was 29 when we got married and he was 28.

In June it will be 19 years of marriage.

I met his brother online on a creative writing website. we discovered we actually only lived 15 minutes from each other and I was having issues at church so his brother offered to pick me up and take me to his church. I met dh the first visit, while dh brother realized I was nothing like he imagined and distanced himself a little.

We realized our families had attended the same homeschool support group but age and gender meant we had little to do with each other, though I had spent time with their sisters

Stuff happened which brought us very close very quick, and we both believed the purpose of dating to be to find a spouse, neither of us were the date for 3 years type. the number of 'coincidences' we experienced in those months were phenomenal and had us both believing god brought us together. Less than a year later we married.

5 years down the track, the naysayers have given up and I believe more than ever that god put us together. Both the good and the bad, we are so perfectly matched and balanced, we even each other out.

We met on a retreat. I was playing guitar. At the end of the retreat we were sitting on the floor in a circle. When I left, my guitar pick was on the floor and he picked it up. Later we bumped into each other at an event at my college. He told me about the pick and that he'd thought about sending it back to me. A week later he did, with the nicest letter. (This was long before email.) Our first date was a surprise birthday party of one of the girls on the retreat, who was a good friend of his sister's.

We met between first and second years of undergraduate school. We were both spending the summer studying at Oxford. We did a side trip to the Soviet Union. On an overnight train ride from Tallinn, Estonia (then part of the USSR) to Moscow, we stayed up all night talking. We had our first date in Moscow. We spent the rest of the summer attending Shakespeare in the different gardens of Oxford. We got married three years later between undergrad and grad school.

I was 26 and then-to-be DH was 28.  We met in a CPR class at church.  I was there because I wanted to learn CPR.  He was there because his sister-in-law was teaching the class and wanted to make sure the class had a decent number of people show up.  So she coerced him into coming to increase attendance.

it was just like any other Friday night.  I walked into the sanctuary of our church to run a wedding rehearsal.  Except this Friday night, a man with the most amazing eyes was the brother of the bride, and one of the ushers.  I walked back to my office giving myself a talking to: "We are all God's children.  I will treat everyone with God's love and kindness.  My goodness his soul shines thru his eyes."  etc etc. 

The next day was just like every Saturday.  I conducted the worship which is a wedding, and then went to the reception and sat with the family.  Except this Saturday the brother of the bride talked to me non stop for three hours.  What I didn't know at the time was that that was more than his family had heard him say at one time in his life..... 

we lived in different countries, so there was lots of email and phone calls that were simply friends being supportive.  and then two years later he came back to celebrate a wedding anniversary, and we were engaged. 

smiling on a saturday morning....

He was managing the gas station where I got a part time job my first year at UMD.  We always seemed to be on the schedule together to close, and we'd end up sitting and talking for hours.  Then I got a better-paying job at a group home, and didn't see him again for a few years.  We ran into each other at that point, started dating, and that was that.

We went to high school together. He was very quiet, and I really didn't notice him--apparently the only class we were in together was 10th-grade English, but it was a big class and he sat behind me. We were both on the school newspaper and the math team.

Our senior year, we each went to the fall semi-formal alone, and friends arranged for us to wind up dancing together. In February, he called me out of the blue to ask me to the prom. (When he said who was calling, my first thought was that he needed the page number for the calculus homework or something. :lol: ) I said yes. We've been together ever since.

Blind date....except its more interesting than that.

I had just been offered a job at a job fair but I had never seen the company so I decided to fly out that night but I needed a ride to the airport....so I called around to a number of friends and found a roommate of a friend who would take me....on the way he said so I have a brother and you have a sister wouldn't it be funny if the brothers and the sisters went out on a date and I was all sure whatever just get me to the airport....so when I got back after having accepted the job, he set me up with his brother on a blind date....while he went out with my little sister....9 months later we got married and so did they.

We met in college summer semester after Freshman year. We had both flunked a class in the spring - due to spending too much time outside appreciating the "local wildlife". We had mutual friends that were in the same boat. I was sitting on the floor on a bean bag chair in a dorm. In walked a farm boy wearing faded ripped jeans, cowboy boots, and wayfarer sunglasses and a Z-93 t-shirt (an Atlanta radio station no longer in operation). It was "like" at 1st sight for me. Took him a bit longer. HA! We've been married now for 17 years. I guess my intuition was right.

I was in a community theater play with 2 of my friends, they were in high school & I was finishing 8th grade. We carpooled together. My friend who was driving was grounded for getting a B in her dual credit college course, so she wasn't able to go anywhere after the play ended. My now-husband came to see his friends (who were also my friends). It ended up that he drove me & the other friend to Pizza Hut and then home. We hit it off right away...but he was entering his freshman in college years, and I was entering my freshman in high school years, so things were purely platonic and friendly for a number of years. We both dated other people and eventually lost touch. 

He moved to Iceland and right before he left, called me up. We started emailing and were engaged before we had our first official date. Now, I like to tease him and tell him he was my mail-order groom. I was 4 days shy of being 21, he was 25. We'll be married 12 years this July.

Daycare. I was in my junior year of college and working part-time at the campus daycare. Dh was 28 and the "hot single dad" that the other girls and I giggled and made inappropriate jokes about. We started talking more and more as the fall semester went on, and he ended up asking for my number just before Christmas break. I went home for Christmas, but we talked on the phone nearly every day, and went on our first date as soon as I came back, on New Year's Day. 

Jell-o shot party at his fraternity during my freshman orientation at college. The funny thing about it is that DH's friends had teased him earlier that evening that he would marry the next girl he kissed- which wound up being me!

My parents met at a party in business school thrown by my mom and her roommates. My dad's roommate got so drunk he passed out (as a kid I was told "Uncle Phil fell asleep") and my dad had to babysit him to make sure he would be okay. So he and my mom started talking to pass the time and hit it off.

My maternal grandparents met as PhD. students at Harvard/Radcliffe while they were doing research in Buenos Aires. On their second date, she teased him about something and he got really upset and told her, "That's a fine way to treat the man who wants to marry you!" My grandma got freaked out by that since she'd just met him and refused to see him. So my grandfather drowned his sorrows not at a bar but at the library doing his bibliography, LOL! She did eventually agree to go out with him again and shortly after he got drafted into WWII so he proposed for real and they had a quickie wedding at the courthouse.

My high school BFF's parents met because they both went to Northwestern and each had a SO at some other school (Illinois-Champaign perhaps?) They used to carpool on weekends to go visit the other school. Over time, they fell in love and decided to end their other relationships. Decades later, my BFF's mom had passed on and her widowed dad re-connected with his original GF. They wound up getting married.

My freshman/his sophomore year of college, in the fall. We ran into each other as I was leaving the dorm with 2 friends about 5 minutes before curfew (private Christian school, curfew on Friday nights was 2am). He worked security with one of the friends (she was a dispatcher, he rode around on a bike lol) and, according to him, he 'had noticed me before' - most likely because I was a huge flirt and wore leopard print pants regularly lol. He teased us about leaving so close to curfew, I insisted we were going to stay with my aunt and uncle or something... We were actually just staying out all night for the fun of it, I think we hung out at walmart some, and then drove about an hour to get dunkin donuts for breakfast? I don't remember. I didn't drink or anything so it wasn't like we stayed out and partied. :)

I turned 18 a couple weeks later, and when I went out to dinner with the girls from my floor, they told me who my date was going to be for our group 'get your roommate a date' two days later. Just like it sounds - you find a date for your roommate, the whole floor and their dates go and do something fun together. Anyway they had gotten him for whatever reason, which I was thrilled about :lol: . We had high schoolers coming in on Thursday and Friday for 'college days' and at dinner Thursday night, while sitting with the girl who was staying with us, he came up and sat with us for awhile, and I dropped by the security office to 'see my friend' later.

Our first date was that Friday night (the 'get your roommate a date' one) and on Saturday he went with us to the mall... And that, as they say, was that.

We were engaged 3 months later and married 6 months after that. About 9 months total from meeting to being married.

It will be 13 years this august. :)

My husband and I grew up in the same neighborhood. He is two years younger than me and his sister and I have been best friends since we were twelve. He and I never really hung out, and he wasn't the "pesky little brother" type. He did ride with us to high school because I picked up his sister every morning. And I spent tons of time at their house, so we interacted, but not a lot. We knew a lot about each other, but not from direct interaction.

When I visited my friend at college, she had her brother's senior picture hanging up in her room, and oh my goodness. He was SO hot! So a little while later, my roommates and I were watching the episode of Friends where they're all talking about back-ups ("If we're both still single when we're 40, let's get married."). So we decided that we should arrange back-ups, too. I called my friend's brother, told him about the episode, and asked if he would be mine. He laughed and agreed. Then we decided that since we're Mormon, we should lower the age from 40 to something like 27. He jokingly said, "How about when you're 23 and I'm 21?" I said, "Well, let's at least give ourselves a chance!" So we left it at 27 and 25. It was obviously all a joke.

THEN at my friend's wedding, we were all helping to decorate the church gym. He hung up the mistletoe (it was around Christmas time), and said, "I know where I'll be all night." I jokingly said, "Oh, I'll meet you there." But then he said, "Seriously?" And I said, "Sure." We were both dating other people but considered it harmless fun. We have pictures of that, our first actual kiss. :)

A few years later, we both got home from our missions at about the same time. I had a couple months before I was moving back to school, so we were just hanging out. I was actually dating someone at the time, but boyfriend knew dh and dh's sister, so he didn't think anything of it. It was all harmless...until it wasn't. Dh went on dates with other girls and called me from the bathrooms of the restaurants. I was getting "headaches" when I was out with my boyfriend and going home early...and then calling dh and going back out. It was ridiculous. But we didn't even hold hands during that time, because I was technically involved with someone else and I knew that would be dirty. After awhile, we all acknowledged what was going on, I broke up with the boyfriend, and in true Mormon fashion, we got engaged about a month later. Married two months after that--I was 23 and he was 21. :)

It was surprising to everyone involved, including my best friend. She didn't like it at first, because she didn't want to be in an awkward position if we broke up. But now we're best friends AND sisters-in-law! It's awesome!

And here we are, ten years later. We're really hoping it works out, because we don't have any more back-ups!

At a wedding. Except that I didn't know anyone in the wedding. I was, in fact, dating the owner of the banquet hall. But I used to crash wedding parties all the time so I could spend more time with him and hang out with the bartenders that I knew. Well that night I had a fight with my boyfriend and was a few too many sheets to the wind when this cute guy stands next to me at the bar and said...

You look just like my second wife.

I said, wow you are awfully young. How many times have you been married?

He said... Once. :)

It made me laugh. And the rest is history! We were married one year later and have been married 17 years and counting.

We met online. I posted the beginning of a poem, and he continued it. We met IRL several months later at my favorite bookstore after exchanging numerous emails and real letters. He still writes for me on occasion. I think I'll write DH a letter this weekend just for fun.

I was 19, he was 21. One of his best friends was dating one of my best friends at the time. They wanted to set us up on a blind date and I staunchly refused, stating that I could find my own man as I was dating a couple guys casually. A few weeks later, my girlfriend had gotten a new puppy and she wanted me to come over to meet said puppy at her boyfriend's house. I went over there and voila, there he was waiting with the puppy too. Sneak blind date. We hung out with the puppy, went for a walk in the woods with the other couple, and then DH wanted to take me out for a cup of coffee so we headed off to a local 24 hour coffee shop where we played cards and tried to make awkward conversation as we are both extremely introverted. I debated saying yes to another date because he had to bum $5 off of our mutual friend because he hadn't gone to the bank that morning. Hahaha. But, he was cute and I thought I'd give it another shot. I figured it'd be a summer romance. 10 months later, we were living together officially. Almost 10 years later, we're still together and have 5 kids.  

I met this guy (let's call him M, since there are quite a few "this guy"s in the story) online (IRC), and we became platonic friends (though I'd guess he would have preferred more than that, but I wasn't interested).

I went to visit M one time (well, more than once - he wasn't far away), and he had a friend "G" who had recently moved to the area staying with him temporarily. I knew of G from IRC, and had talked to him on at least one occasion, but wouldn't have even considered him an acquaintance, so basically we first met through M. We hit it off and started dating, but broke up not long after when he decided to get back together with his ex (who it looks like he's still involved with 13 years later). I was pretty hung up on him for a while.

Anyways, during the time we were dating I got involved in the IRC channel that G frequented more. There was a guy there (we'll call him pre-DH) who I had talked to on occasion, but never really thought much about. Pre-DH was local-ish (within a few hours), and good friends with my ex. One day about 9 months after G and I broke up, all of us localish people (which included a few others besides pre-DH, G, and I), decided to go to the gun range. Not really my first choice of activities, but I wanted to be social (and to see G), so I decided to go. Pre-DH offered to pick me up since I didn't drive. We ended up spending a whole lot of time in the car together that day, because he ended up driving G back home too, which was about 3 hours out of the way. We discovered a lot of common background and interests, and started dating.

(G was apparently really pissed that we got together, even though he was the one who broke it off. That felt a little vindicating.)

So, my answer is "online", "through mutual friends", or "at a gun range" depending on the audience and the spin I want to give the story.

We met when I was 18 and he was 25. We were introduced to each other at church right before the sermon. He was sitting in the pew right behind me, and he says he doesn't remember the sermon at all because he was staring at my long red hair the entire time. We dated off and on for the next five years. We got married when I finished college. We've been married 17 years.

When I was 17 and a senior in high school I went ice skating with my friend and a bunch of his dormmates from the local university. I was quite unsettled by my feelings when I saw him. Not so much attraction as "this person is very important to me somehow". 2 year later we started dating, 2 years after we started dating we got married and we just passed our 12th wedding anniversary in February.

1996 on one of the first internet phones.  

I had downloaded a program that allowed you to use your computer's microphone and speaker as a phone line.  Having a feminine sounding user name meant that my computer was ringing constantly with people wanting to chat.  I was ignoring all of them because I was checking out all of the functions, trying to figure out how it worked.  For some unknown reason, I answered DH's call.  He had a night job, and we'd have conversations through email.  Occasionally, we'd talk on the phone.  Five months after that first contact, we agreed to meet at a Red Robin restaurant.  I found him sitting in the lobby reading a newspaper.  We ordered dinner: he had Cajun Clucks which he dipped in a mixture of ranch and Tabasco sauce and I had the California Chicken Burger with guacamole and fries).  The waitress would not stop talking to us throughout our entire dinner.  After dinner, we walked along the town's waterfront, where we ran into half a dozen people he knew from church.  After that, we sat on the counter in front of his house talking until the early morning hours.  We said goodbye with plans to meet later that morning to go hiking. 

Want a unique story???

I didn't date. I went though several marriage proposals, but none "felt" right. So I decided to put a hold on the proposals and focus on school. My friend told me... just talk to this one.... I at first said no, not now. Then she started to tell me about him and the similarities and coincidences were too much. Same degree field, working in something similar, etc.... He was from the area I said I was looking for (Palestinian)...

BUT he was older then I said I was interested in and he did not live near the midwest (actually, he was already in CA) and he did not sound like my physical "type"

But I said ok, I'll talk to him... So our 1st phone call lasted 3 hours :lol: . This was back before long distance was included... I kept some of our phone bills...he had one that has 5 hour calls on it :P .

We married 3 months later. We didn't "see" each other except in pictures till 48 hours before the wedding.

And it's been 18 years now. :001_wub:

My RA our sophomore year of college was dating a good friend of his.   For her birthday party on my dorm floor, Trap showed up with her boyfriend.  
We had a pitch (cards) tournament going all night and when he and the boyfriend squared off against me and a floor-mate of mine, I noticed he was cheating shamelessly.  Ace in his hatband, re-playing his trick pile, digging through his shirt sleeve for something useful...  

I was charmed.   ;)

My RA dumped her boyfriend shortly after her birthday but DH and I are still dating.

I've known my dh my entire life. He is much older than me and remembers me as an infant (kinda weird I know). We didn't start dating until I was 18 and needed to make some decisions on what I was doing next in life. I had narrowed my options down to two guys that I thought fit what I wanted and went fishing. My dh's cousin is a really close friend of mine. He was heading off to visit her and invited me to go with. I utilized that trip to the best of my ability. He asked me on our first date the next week, we were engaged a couple months after that and married seven months after that.

Although we 'knew' each other our whole lives, we never really had spent time together or gotten to know each other at all. It's been a roller coaster 11 years.

We took a class together in college and during a class trip to the library computer lab our professor asked if we would share a computer since there weren't enough for everyone in the class. We talked through the entire class (luckily we were sitting in the back corner). Then he walked me to my next class and on our way there a friend of his passed by and handed him a flyer for a salsa dance happening on campus that weekend. He asked me to go (he was a salsa instructor...I had never danced salsa in my life, but said yes anyway because he was just so great :-) we have been together for 13 years now.

We were introduced 3 times before we were willing to talk to one another, and even then, the third time almost didn't happen.  One of my coworkers was engaged to one of DH's employees.  Coworker insisted we needed to meet.  He was 2 years post-divorce.  I was 1 year post-long relationship.  Neither of us were interested in meeting someone.  Plus, we were both "too normal and boring" for each other (in my case, he had a job and his own car...and wasn't in jail--where was the fun in that).

First time, 3 months after being told about him, our co-workers invited him to their wedding where I was an usher for the bride.  We vaguely remember being pointed out to each other.   :)  He left early, and I was busy.

Second time, 4 months later, my co-worker wanted to "drop by" her husband's office at lunch.  So we went.  DH wouldn't get off the phone to accept an invitation to lunch.  I thought he looked stuffy, and I didn't want to have anything to do with someone who didn't want anything to do with me.  Now I was insulted (hey, I was 27 and thought too highly of myself :)  )

Third time, 2 months later, both our offices were meeting for Friday happy hour.  After the party narrowed down to the "late" crowd on the restaurant patio, DH and myself included, I spent the night flirting with his very bad-boy good friend.  Friend asked me out for the next week for a Dallas Mavs game.  I accepted.  When I went into the bar area to close my tab and pee, DH comes sprinting through the door, almost wiping out, and asks me for my number.  He actually mentioned that he thought he would get my number since Friend had asked.   :glare:   I gave him my number anyhow.  He called when I got home to check to see if I made it home OK and to ask me out for the next night. It just so happened that I couldn't because I was picking up my dogs from my ex-boyriend's mother's house in another town in the middle of the night because the woman had been hauled back to jail.  Ex couldn't get dogs because he was in jail, also (DH was soooo boring compared to my usual crazy   :huh: )  I told DH that, and he didn't run away (his usual crazy was crazy, too).  I rescue dogs that weekend.  By the end of the weekend, I get the flu.  Nasty flu.  I have to cancel date with Friend that week because I was too sick.  DH calls to check on me when he hears from Friend and asks me out when I feel better.  I get well, call him to let him know, and we go out on our first official date.   :)  ...where I proceed to spill red sauce all over my white blouse, to which I try to clean up in restroom, rendering my shirt quite wet and see-through.   :)  Rest of the date I spent sitting in a chair across room from him watching Castaway.  Longest.movie.ever.  We didn't even kiss when he took me home.   :)

We like to say that we are sooooooooo hard-headed that only divine intervention kept bringing us back together.   :lol:

ETA:  I was 28, and DH was 37.

I had just bought a car, and a friend was teaching me to drive. She said the car doesn't idle, lets go around to her heroes were her husband's new employee was fixing something or another had get him to look over the car and see what is wrong.  The guy was a new guy to the area, and had just started going to our church, though I hadn't formally met him  before.

He took one look at the engine of my car and started laughing. he told me that I had bought a worn out car, it wasn't worth fixing and I had wasted my money, all while he laughed his head off. I just looked at him and thought this guy is mister IT. he is the absolutely mister perfect and how can I work this.. I  was almost 18 he was 32. I invited him to my parents (I was still living at home) for dinner, He came the next week at church I invited him for Sunday dinner again. I di this for a few weeks in a row, and he just started turning up every Sunday for dinner   :001_wub:   It might have continued that way for ever.. but my father caught us playing tootsies under the table and we both got a stern lecture.  DH proposed to me not long after that, and we were married a few months later. We were heavily chaperoned the whole few months, and never went out on a date ever, we did get into trouble for playing tootsies several more times. ( DH told me afterwards that he  thought it extremely amusing and also told me that it made the whole thing way more exciting??)

DH did in fact rebuild my car motor after we got married  :rofl:            he who laughs last laughs best

He was my sister's best friend in middle school and high school. My sister was IM'ing him and their mutual friend, and that is how I "met" him.

We chatted alone for awhile on AIM and through texting, and we officially met in person three months later. About a yer after we first started chatting, we started dating.

I actually joined Field Hockey in high school to see him more :)

We were married on our 5-year anniversary.

We met at a bowling league for the company we worked for.  We worked in completely different divisions so didn't have any interactions at work.  He was the best bowler in the league - always had highest score, highest average, etc. but I did beat him once.  :laugh:

He spent about a year asking me out occasionally. I had a very casual boyfriend, was helping my daughter adjust to the divorce, finishing up school, working full time, and wasn't interested in a real relationship.   We occasionally went out to dinner after bowling with a group of people from bowling.  After about a year, I had graduated, stopped seeing the boyfriend and things were more settled from my divorce.  I sent him an email asking if they were planning to go out after bowling that night, he drove me from bowling to the restaurant and then asked me out after.  I was 34, he was 47 and we were engaged 3 months later, married two months after that.  Our 10 year anniversary is this October.