Menu

tooth decay in my son's mouth

ProudGrandma

Almost everytime my children go to the dentist, my youngest ends up with a cavity. He is a great brusher and flosser. We, as a whole, don't eat much in the way of sweets, drink pop or other sugary drinks, eat fruit snacks or other gummy things...his dentist said he must just have a lot of the kind of bacteria that causes tooth decay in his mouth and that there isn't much we can do about it. But, I disagree....there MUST be something we can do about it....but what what? 

Can anybody here give me some advice?  thanks.

Dental decay is *largely* genetic, and there isn't much you can do about it. I am a WAY better brusher and flosser than my dh, but I have had several root canals/crowns while he has only has one filling, ever, and it was so shallow that they didn't even numb his mouth.

You can treat the bacteria…. use xylitol gum and a xylitol mouthwash (you can make your own using powdered xylitol…it's sweet.  There's a book called "Kiss Your Dentist Goodbye" which talks a lot about it.  She doesn't really recommend that you not see a dentist, but it includes a really good regime. I think she has a website too.   My pediatric dentist told me about xylitol and the bacteria too.

xylitol, seriously

xylitol xylitol xylitol

my daughter had two cavities at 6 months (!!) and I read up about it on the internet - seems that there is a bacteria, which she probably got from one of us biting off a piece of something and giving it to her, and it colonizes.  No amount of brushing will kill the bacteria (and thus stop the spread of the cavities) unless it has a bacteria killing agent in it, and xylitol is such an agent

I just dabbed xylitol gel on her teeth 5x a day or so for 2 months, and the cavities never spread or got worse.

I have kids with teeth like porcelain and kids with teeth like concrete.  Some kids can swim in sugar and never get cavities and some kids glance at a Snickers bar and you need to call a dentist.     Above suggestions are good. Also, I'm not a fan, but some people like topical fluoride and sealants. It's an option.

My very best tooth brusher, very best sweet avoider has the most cavities of my 4 kids. Every single time she went to the dentist she had a cavity or two. I was always relieved when it was just one. Seems like she would have run out of teeth... She did finally stop getting cavities. I think maybe she did run out of teeth! We tried the xylitol. She had sealants. Didn't matter. 

My eldest had horrible dental habits. Could hardly get her to brush. She ate sweet sticky food. Not a single cavity. She even went into the dentist for one visit and they didn't bother to clean her teeth!!!! There was nothing stuck to them? How is that possible??? After 17 yrs of no cavities, she got two in a year (one each 6 mth visit) with another almost to that point. Why? She started having oral allergy syndrome and was diagnosed with asthma. The medication she took daily for the allergies dried up her saliva. Saliva is a major key to not having cavities. She now carries and constantly drinks from a water bottle to keep her mouth moist. It has helped. The ph is still off, but we can't do much about that.

Dental decay is *largely* genetic, and there isn't much you can do about it. I am a WAY better brusher and flosser than my dh, but I have had several root canals/crowns while he has only has one filling, ever, and it was so shallow that they didn't even numb his mouth.

This sounds like us--brushing and flossing--except my dh has *no* cavities. And his mom still has all her teeth, a few cavities but not even a crown. And she's 86yo. On my side--cavity prone. My mom mentioned to me once she is the only one of her siblings--she has 6--that doesn't have dentures.

I've heard that rinsing with baking soda and salt in your water can help lessen the number of cavity causing bacteria in your mouth, if you do it at least once a day. I keep a 'sugar bowl' of each on the bathroom counter. I also got my kids a water pik for flossing and the dentist said its doing a great job. I do have one cavity prone kid and his mouth was much better at his most recent dental visit because of those changes.

Eliminate high fructose corn syrup. All of it. My daughter used to get cavities all the time. Like 3-4 each visit. My FIL, a dentist told me that they had all but eliminated cavities until HFCS became prominent in foods. I immediately eliminated HFCS in our diets and she hasn't had a cavity since. It's been 3-4 years.

Some kids just are more prone to cavities, like my youngest. But her brushing habits also aren't the best. One thing that has helped a lot is getting each kid a Sonicare toothbrush. They weren't really young so I went ahead and got the adult model. You brush for 30 seconds in each quadrant of your mouth--it beeps when it's time to move the brush. And it brushes well (I use one too). We've greatly reduced the number of cavities since we started using them. It costs about the same as getting one cavity filled.

I'm the cavity prone one in the family.  My dentist put me on a prescription strength floride toothpaste.  It has made all the difference.  I got lax last year about using it and the price will be big next week when I go in and get what needs fixing fixed.

This thread makes me feel so much better. I hate the dentist. I have my father's teeth. They are pitted, extremely close contacts, and lots of cavity issues in baby teeth. My brother has no cavities and he is in his thirties. He got my mother's teeth. My son has my teeth. Poor guy. Every time we go to the dentist it is another lecture. I try to build him up, but it is demoralizing for both of us. Sealants have helped. Every time he loses a tooth, they seal the adult tooth when it comes in.

Does he eat a lot of crackers? I was surprised to find out how bad they are for teeth (they stick to teeth longer than most candy or soda, etc.).

I also think there are a lot of genetic components - crowding, saliva acidity, sleeping with mouth open or closed.

wow, you guys have given me a lot to think about, try and consider.  Thank you so much. 

I will look into the xylitol, water piks, and sonicare toothbrushes.

Also, we don't eat much HFCS, but it is in a few things we eat...Miracle Whip for example.   He east some crackers, but not a ton.  Most of his cavities are between his teeth (his mouth is small, and crowed) so the sealents he does have, don't help in those areas.  He is nearly 10, but has only lost about 4 of his baby teeth to date and so, like this last time, his cavitiy is between a baby and perm tooth...but, it's in a tooth that already has one filling in it, so now they want to cap it instead. 

I just feel bad for him...he is such a trooper, but he is bummed too...he tries so hard....

thanks for the suggestions...I will be looking into all of them.

You can treat the bacteria…. use xylitol gum and a xylitol mouthwash (you can make your own using powdered xylitol…it's sweet.  There's a book called "Kiss Your Dentist Goodbye" which talks a lot about it.  She doesn't really recommend that you not see a dentist, but it includes a really good regime. I think she has a website too.   My pediatric dentist told me about xylitol and the bacteria too.

How can I make my own xylitol mouthwash.  It seems that the ones on the market are minty and he doesn't like mint.

Some kids just are more prone to cavities, like my youngest. But her brushing habits also aren't the best. One thing that has helped a lot is getting each kid a Sonicare toothbrush. They weren't really young so I went ahead and got the adult model. You brush for 30 seconds in each quadrant of your mouth--it beeps when it's time to move the brush. And it brushes well (I use one too). We've greatly reduced the number of cavities since we started using them. It costs about the same as getting one cavity filled.

What makes these better than the cheaper battery operated toothbrushes....which my kids all use?

What makes these better than the cheaper battery operated toothbrushes....which my kids all use?

I do use a cheap one for my disabled dd and that is definitely better than manual. I think the beeping on the Sonicare really helps--you brush your teeth for 2 minutes every time. I don't think any of us brush long enough without that reminder (like when I use a manual toothbrush on vacation--no way I'm brushing two minutes). The Sonicare is also stronger than the cheap ones. In fact, it takes some getting used to. If I'm remembering correctly, when it's new it doesn't immediately start out at top speed because you need to get used to it--I think it ramps up over the first several uses.