Menu

Excellence in Literature: the whole thing and all the way through?

Year 5 World Literature Unit 3 is the Aeneid. The honors selection is Lives of the Noble Grecians and Romans by Plutarch.

ALL of Plutarch? On top of all of the Aeneid?  :scared:  Really  :confused1:  Is there some sort of explanation or condensed plan in the curriculum?

I only own level 1 and am viewing the reading list here.

http://www.everyday-education.com/downloadables-pdfs/eil-info-sheet-w-booklist-2011.pdf

Hunter -- I am marking your thread and will find my copy in the next day or so to see what the directions for that section are.  I  haven't looked at that section so no idea.  Dd has done the second book and we plan to work through the rest except for book 1.  For most units Dd happily read both the regular and honours selections but there were a couple of units where she didn't care for the first book (Walden) and did not read both.

We use EIL.  I do not follow the format that she has the books in.  We read our books in chronological order.   (We also go at a slower pace on some of the books)

In regards to The Lives of Noble Greeks and Romans by Plutarch, you only choose 6 stories to read.   We follow AO and study 2-3 lives from Plutarch.   Here is the link to their info:   http://www.amblesideonline.org/PlutarchSch.shtml

We use EIL. I do not follow the format that she has the books in. We read our books in chronological order. (We also go at a slower pace on some of the books)

In regards to The Lives of Noble Greeks and Romans by Plutarch, you only choose 6 stories to read. We follow AO and study 2-3 lives from Plutarch. Here is the link to their info: http://www.amblesideonline.org/PlutarchSch.shtml

Thanks Raganfamily!

Did you look up each author individually to find out when they lived? Do the lessons get progressively harder, making mixing them up difficult for the student?

Thank you for the clarification about Plutarch. I think the audio version is around 130 hours. I just couldn't imagine that collection being tacked on as an honors supplement.

We've used two years of EIL, Intro and American, but not World yet, so I can't answer your World Lit question. I can tell you that the assignments in American Lit were longer and more challenging than those in Intro, but I think it may be just the first year or the first two years that are lighter. I don't think it would be a problem to mix. I debated, repeatedly, buying the whole thing. We decided to outsources English next year, but dd plans to come back to EIL for her last two years, so I will probably have 4 years before we are done. We are skipping year 2, just because it contains my least favorite literature selections.

We've used two years of EIL, Intro and American, but not World yet, so I can't answer your World Lit question. I can tell you that the assignments in American Lit were longer and more challenging than those in Intro, but I think it may be just the first year or the first two years that are lighter. I don't think it would be a problem to mix. I debated, repeatedly, buying the whole thing. We decided to outsources English next year, but dd plans to come back to EIL for her last two years, so I will probably have 4 years before we are done. We are skipping year 2, just because it contains my least favorite literature selections.

Wow, when I looked, I too thought of just doing just Intro and American, or all but year 2, when I considered different plans.

Thank you for sharing your experience.