Menu

So we have the option to visit a LDS temple...

umsami

that is opening a few hours from us.  Basically, before they officially open for business, they allow the public to tour it. I'm thinking of taking my kids as it's an opportunity they're unlikely to get (unless, of course, they choose to convert.) 

Have you ever toured an LDS temple as a non-Mormon?

What was the experience like?

How long was the tour?

I did while in college. They were opening a new one a mile or two from my campus. I think it was a couple hours, but that included standing in line for our turn. We were shown parts, but if I remember correctly, there were some areas we weren't allowed to see. I found it fascinating and if the option ever arose again, I would definitely take my kids to see. The guide gave us simple explanations in to the reasons and basic beliefs behind what we saw, and an idea as to what happened in the different rooms.

My parents toured the one on the DC beltway before it opened. I wasn't born yet. I believe they enjoyed it. My dad always wondered what changes were made after the general public toured it.

I can't think of any changes that are made after an open house, other than removing protective plastic runners from the carpets. I'm LDS, we have taken our kids to a couple of temple open houses so they can see what the temple is like inside and learn about ordinances performed there since they won't be able to attend a dedicated temple until they are older. I love the tours, especially the bits where they point out unique features and themes--often the design and decoration of a temple incorporates local motifs, such as peach blossoms throughout a temple in a city where peach growing plays a significant role.

Thanks for answering. I always loved driving past the one on the beltway.

I can't think of any changes that are made after an open house, other than removing protective plastic runners from the carpets. I'm LDS, we have taken our kids to a couple of temple open houses so they can see what the temple is like inside and learn about ordinances performed there since they won't be able to attend a dedicated temple until they are older. I love the tours, especially the bits where they point out unique features and themes--often the design and decoration of a temple incorporates local motifs, such as peach blossoms throughout a temple in a city where peach growing plays a significant role.

Yep, the only change is that they say a special prayer to "dedicate" the temple. And then it's ready for people to go in and do the ordinances. Everything else stays the same. For decades. Seriously, temples are as clean and perfect 50 years later as they were during the open house!

In case anyone is interested, here is a list of LDS temples currently under construction (or soon to be under construction). Open houses are generally held about a month before a temple is dedicated, if there is a temple in your area you can click on the location name to see a page with more information, including how to reserve tickets for a tour if the open house has already been scheduled. Once the temple has been dedicated only members in good standing are permitted inside, in an effort maintain the sanctity of the premises. Temple grounds remain open to the public, and sometimes there is a visitors' center adjacent to a temple,.

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/construction/

I do think that attending a temple open house is a great way for people who are not LDS to get a glimpse of LDS doctrine, worship and traditions.

Forgive my ignorance--where do LDS people go for Sunday services?

We have chapels that are used for Sunday services as well as week day activities http://www.mormon.org/worship

Chapels are open to the general public. Temples are reserved for specific ordinances (including marriage ceremonies) and are generally considered to be very sacred places by members of the LDS church.

So is there not a tour after construction is completed?  It is only for pre-opening?

Yes…they're usually open for a few weeks afar construction, but before they're dedicated.  Once that happens, it's my understanding that only LDS members with a temple recommend can attend.  (But I could be wrong.)

This is where we hope to go visit

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/fortlauderdale/

So is there not a tour after construction is completed?  It is only for pre-opening?

Right, the tours are held post-construction, but pre-dedication. Afterwards there may be a visitor's center you can go into that will have explanations of what goes on inside, and a few pictures of the interiors of the rooms. Not every Temple has one, but many of the larger ones have at least a small one. Salt Lake Temple has *two* visitor's centers, and one has a scale model of the Temple you can look at that shows what the interior looks like.

I was asked to go visit the one in Los Angeles when I lived there.  I know it was already constructed.  It must have been what you are talking about.

Right, the tours are held post-construction, but pre-dedication. Afterwards there may be a visitor's center you can go into that will have explanations of what goes on inside, and a few pictures of the interiors of the rooms. Not every Temple has one, but many of the larger ones have at least a small one. Salt Lake Temple has *two* visitor's centers, and one has a scale model of the Temple you can look at that shows what the interior looks like.

I've been to a couple. (I'm LDS.) There is a video presentation before that talks about what temples are for. We just went to the Gilbert AZ temple dedication and the video also talked about the history of Gilbert which was interesting. Then you walk through the temple. There are missionaries there to answer questions, but there are also a lot of members who volunteer to help. I think most members see it as a way to show people that we're not as weird as they think, rather than as an opportunity to convert people :)

I was asked to go visit the one in Los Angeles when I lived there.  I know it was already constructed.  It must have been what you are talking about.

Yes, the Los Angeles temple has a nice visitor's center. I have enjoyed their Christmas light displays as well.

they do tickets now to space visitors to reduce wait times.  tickets are free.  there is a visitor center that you walk through that briefly explains what LDS believe about temples. there will be someone to put booties over your shoes before you go inside.  (for the WA DC temple - they ended up having to replace the carpet after the open house.  that many shoes were very hard on the carpet.) once inside the temple itself, it's about 20 - 30 minutes.  there are signs stating what things are, and you will have a tour guide.  at the end, there is another room for punch and cookies.  you can ask questions if you want or just eat cookies.  ;p    

sometimes if a temple has had significant remodling or expansion, they will hold an open house before the rededication.  only a few temples have permanent visitor centers.  laie hawaii, oakland, la, DC, salt lake of course, mesa, and perhaps a few more.  most of the ones being build today are pretty small compared to older ones, but they are closer to the members.

a month or two ago in Gilbert, AZ. I would've taken the older two but they didn't really care and their schedules never did line up with when tickets were available online.  Get the tickets if you can.  Even that line will be long, but not as long as the one with people who have no tickets. I lucked out! The woman who was standing next to me is friends with the guy in charge of the construction-she knew every detail and it made it even more interesting. Visiting a visitor's center is not the same as touring a temple itself.  Those opportunities don't come along often, so I suggest people take them when they do.

While I'm very theologically opposed to LDS doctrine, I have a lot of LDS friends.  I think there are very few opportunities to tour something very different than the typical buildings found here in the desert SW.  I would also like to tour the St. Mary's Basillica (sp?) in PHX sometime even though I'm very opposed theologically to some Roman Catholic doctrines. I'm in it for the architecture and to hear what people's beliefs are from their own mouths to better understand them. 

I went to the one in Newport Beach, CA. I found it informative (from a world religions perspective) and very interesting.  I remember lots of plastic runners and we had to wear what looked like surgical booties as we walked through. Things were very bright and open. Lots of lovely handmade tables and cabinets. Once the tour ended, you were in a meeting rooms where you could speak with members if you so chose.  I didn't feel pressured to join.  It was pretty much like any open house you might attend.