Menu

Paper planner gals, have you seen Bullet Journals??

Moxie

I purchased a $9.95 journal at WalMart similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Ahead-Jumbo-Bound-Journal-72406W/dp/B007O5C3M2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398116516&sr=8-1&keywords=plan+ahead+journal%2C

My index page so far includes:

1. April Month
  2. April To Do
  3. April daily pages
  4. Master To Do List
  5. Site-Password list
  6. Contact List
  7. Goals
  8. Executive Meetings (work)
  9. Student Government Meetings (work)
  10. PSTA meetings (work)
  11. Items Wanted
  12. Services Wanted
  13. Summer work list (Summer to do, I work at a school)
  14. Social Media planning for work (part of my work role)
  15. Social Media planning for my private practice

My daily pages include the hours of the day, a to do section, and a "habit" section which includes a.m. and p.m. meditation/devotional. I will add exercise and food when I get back on track.

• Like 1

I printed the calendars from this Miss Zoot and put them in the back of my book for future planning. I started April and May and will transfer over lists from my almost full notebook and other papers on the counter. Now that I type that, I probably should have left a couple of pages for daily to-dos for April in between. whoops.

www.misszoot.com/2014/01/06/bulletjournal

• Like 1

5 days. Love.

And productivity - on loooooooong procrastinated tasks. What's up with that?

And habit tracking. I stole someone's idea of coloring in the water glasses, also color in suns and vitamins. :) Now, I actually remember to take the vitamins and I'm drinking more water.

I plan to expand on this area with meditation, tapping, exercise, etc.

Seriously. Love.

Except, I've already agonized over the "perfect" journal way too much! In the end, mine will probably all end up being different sizes, paper weights, graph/lined/blank etc. I'll keep tweaking with each edition. :) It's what I do, so no more agonizing. Just use what I've got, then change next time.

• Like 3

1. Site-Password list

For the last five years, I've kept a separate journal for site log-ins and passwords.  It is set-up similar to the Bullet Journal.  I didn't have a sizeable address book that is laid out alphabetically, so I found a hard-cover journal - similar to a Moleskine.  All the pages are numbered.  There is an index.  I do try to group similar sites together - social, homeschool, financial, etc.  It works well.  I'm sure a nice, alphabetical journal would work better, but this is what I have and what I am use to using.

I don't use my actual Bullet Journal for log-ins and passwords as I do take it with me.  In the event that I lose it, I don't have to worry about my site security information being lost as well.  That journal stays near my computer (or safe if away for awhile).

• Like 2

We had a really good conference at work today and my bullet journal got a work out. By having the notes in my bullet journal all I have to do is look at the index and then I will be able to find it, in addition I was able to add to my to do list from what we discussed during the conference. All in one place and not in two million places like before.

• Like 7

Joanne, it looks lovely.

Sigh.

I'm still struggling with the calendar.  I'm wondering if the Erin Condren Take Note! notebook would be a better fit for me??  It is a notebook with an optional calendar but, of course, expensive.  And maybe too pretty??  I struggle to use pretty things lest I ruin them.  So silly!

Sooooo, I have been assimilated.  Thanks for posting the link, Moxie.  I saw it last week and have been mulling it over in my head.  Other planners and calendars have just never worked for me and now in my old age I can't keep track of things in my brain and I'm losing those slips of paper everywhere.  I already had a fat 3x5 spiral journal near my computer to jot stuff down but it's not organized like a Bullet Journal.

I knew I would still need the standard calendar page and was going to print out the one from Donna Young but I like the one page format by MissZoot, linked up thread.  I hope to use a spiral journal I got at B&N sometime ago for $2 on clearance so I don't have a huge investment if it doesn't work.  I will paste in calendars for the 12 months and then start with the April pages.  I will have the 1 page monthly list when I start each new month.

I am still debating about whether I should put the index at the front and leave a few pages or start at the very end and work on the index backwards, if that makes sense.  Yes, I'm just a tad crazy. :-)

It's a good thing I'm taking a break from school this week - a belated post Easter/Spring Break/getting ready for convention week.  I should do something productive instead of putting together a Bullet Journal.  But hey, it may make me more productive...I hope.

• Like 1

My main obstacle is dealing with the pens somewhat bleeding through.  They don't mark the next page, but since I write on the back of pages, I can see the writing on the previous page.  I do use fine point Sharpies and Opti Flow pens from Staples.  I need to find a new one that is smooth, dries fast, and doesn't show through.  Most likely wishful thinking.  It's not bad - just OCD-ness of me.

• Like 1

My main obstacle is dealing with the pens somewhat bleeding through.  They don't mark the next page, but since I write on the back of pages, I can see the writing on the previous page.  I do use fine point Sharpies and Opti Flow pens from Staples.  I need to find a new one that is smooth, dries fast, and doesn't show through.  Most likely wishful thinking.  It's not bad - just OCD-ness of me.

I have these and am finding that they don't bleed through at all.

Joanne, it looks lovely.

Sigh.

I'm still struggling with the calendar.  I'm wondering if the Erin Condren Take Note! notebook would be a better fit for me??  It is a notebook with an optional calendar but, of course, expensive.  And maybe too pretty??  I struggle to use pretty things lest I ruin them.  So silly!

You've mentioned this line of notebooks several times, I think they are singing to your heart and you're trying to find a reason to indulge. Just do it! :) But do make up your mind before hand to accept messiness as part and parcel of being effective.

As for calendar pages, how did you keep track of appointments and things before the Bullet Journal?

• Like 2

Wanted to tell the OP thank you for posting about the Bullet Journals!  I think I'll pass on buying another planner and do this instead.  I appreciate all the other ideas others have contributed, too!  :thumbup:

For the last five years, I've kept a separate journal for site log-ins and passwords.  It is set-up similar to the Bullet Journal.  I didn't have a sizeable address book that is laid out alphabetically, so I found a hard-cover journal - similar to a Moleskine.  All the pages are numbered.  There is an index.  I do try to group similar sites together - social, homeschool, financial, etc.  It works well.  I'm sure a nice, alphabetical journal would work better, but this is what I have and what I am use to using.

I don't use my actual Bullet Journal for log-ins and passwords as I do take it with me.  In the event that I lose it, I don't have to worry about my site security information being lost as well.  That journal stays near my computer (or safe if away for awhile).

This is why I store my log-in/passwords in my own hieroglyphs.  Good luck to anyone who tries to decode that.  :laugh:

• Like 2

You've mentioned this line of notebooks several times, I think they are singing to your heart and you're trying to find a reason to indulge. Just do it! :) But do make up your mind before hand to accept messiness as part and parcel of being effective.

As for calendar pages, how did you keep track of appointments and things before the Bullet Journal?

I actually won a $100 gift card to their site and I'm not sure what to spend it on.  I was going to get a planner for the new school year but the bullet planner works better for my brain.

I've always used a regular planner and many various notebooks, sticky notes, envelope backs, etc. 

• Like 1

I just started my bullet Journal last night and I am really excited! I think this type of uber flexible/customizable planner is just what I have been needing.

I am strongly considering getting my rising 6th grader into bullet journaling as a means of helping him take more responsibility in managing his lessons and being accountable to what he says he wants to accomplish. Anyone else using bullet journaling with their dc?

• Like 3

I just started my bullet Journal last night and I am really excited! I think this type of uber felxible/costomizable planner is just what I have been needing.

I  am strongly considering getting my rising 6th grader into bullet journaling as a means of helping him take more responsibility in managing his lessons and being accountable to what he says he wants to accomplish. Anyone else using bullet journaling with their dc?

My kids have their own.  They are not embracing it with the enthusiasm I am, but they're starting to get it. 

One of my kids is rather sickly and has times when he can't really do much conventional schoolwork.  So I have him logging useful documentaries, Great Courses lectures, etc., that he watches/listens to.   Trying to get them to log their time spent on other things, such as working on Khan Academy or just reading schoolbooks.  It's not as easy for them to remember to do it, not to mention that they frequently misplace the book.  So I think it's a great idea for kids to start doing.  The younger the better, as it builds the habit. 

• Like 3

Okay, I am still loving my bullet journal except for one thing.  I haven't figured out a way to add a task item for "sometime this week."  For example, I needed to go to the DMV this week.  No idea which day I would go, whenever I had the time, but I needed to remember to do it at some point during the week.  So how do you incorporate a task like that?  I put it on Monday, but I also knew full well I wasn't going on Monday.  And I hate having to push it day after day.  I don't keep a monthly task list.  I just add tasks to my daily lists as they come up.  But I really do need a way to list tasks for non-specific days.  Shorter term than a month but longer than a specific day.  Any thoughts?

My kids have their own. They are not embracing it with the enthusiasm I am, but they're starting to get it.

One of my kids is rather sickly and has times when he can't really do much conventional schoolwork. So I have him logging useful documentaries, Great Courses lectures, etc., that he watches/listens to. Trying to get them to log their time spent on other things, such as working on Khan Academy or just reading schoolbooks. It's not as easy for them to remember to do it, not to mention that they frequently misplace the book. So I think it's a great idea for kids to start doing. The younger the better, as it builds the habit.

Thanks this is really helpful. I like the idea of logging other learning opportunities!

• Like 1

Okay, I am still loving my bullet journal except for one thing.  I haven't figured out a way to add a task item for "sometime this week."  For example, I needed to go to the DMV this week.  No idea which day I would go, whenever I had the time, but I needed to remember to do it at some point during the week.  So how do you incorporate a task like that?  I put it on Monday, but I also knew full well I wasn't going on Monday.  And I hate having to push it day after day.  I don't keep a monthly task list.  I just add tasks to my daily lists as they come up.  But I really do need a way to list tasks for non-specific days.  Shorter term than a month but longer than a specific day.  Any thoughts?

could you put it on Monday, but on the right side of the page instead? So it shares a line with "Monday" kind of like this:

"Monday"                                                      DMV

and then highlight it or draw a square around or something to draw different attention to it? And then carry it forward only if your page gets turned before the week is done?

• Like 1

I get that. I find that pushing it day after day helps me not to forget and makes it more likely I'll go do it.  So, I'd put it on the day I was most likely to go, and then keep pushing it - which for me means rewriting it on the next page - till I get it done.  I find that helpful, though - the act of rewriting it makes it more likely I will actually get it done.   So, not what you wanted to read but those are my thoughts.  If I had a page for "tasks for non-specific days" I'd forget to look at it.

• Like 3

Okay, I am still loving my bullet journal except for one thing.  I haven't figured out a way to add a task item for "sometime this week."  For example, I needed to go to the DMV this week.  No idea which day I would go, whenever I had the time, but I needed to remember to do it at some point during the week.  So how do you incorporate a task like that?  

I have been keeping a list of weekly goals/activities/errands that I don't have assigned to a specific day. Each morning I look at that list and decide if I can fit any of those in and transfer those. Then, when I check them off that day they also get checked off on the weekly page. Hopefully that makes sense!

• Like 2

I've been putting a "next few days at a glance" along the side of my to-do list pages. Each day has listed just the few "hard landscape" items that I know I'll have to work the rest of the day around. That's where I'd put something like the DMV trip. I'd look at the next few days, choose a likely one, and put the DMV on there with a question mark. When the day arrives and I start setting up my actual bullet list for the day, I'd reconsider if it still fits on this day, and/or I'd put it on with just a bullet point (not a check box) and a question mark.

If it's more than a few days away it'd either get a reminder in my iCal (a tickler to think about it again next week, maybe on Sunday when I should be mapping out the "hard landscape" of my whole week) or perhaps a note at the bottom of this current spread of to-do list pages, so it can be carried forward.

That's probably as clear as mud, huh. :)

I have tasks like this at work.  I do two things

1. I put it in as a ToDo on the Day I receive the task and regularly, throughout the week, I glance back to see which boxes I have not checked off and try to get them done.

2. I put it in as a calendar event in my inbox (Even better if it comes as an email. I can say due -- the day it must be due and add a Reminder for the day before) so it will pop up and remind me if I manage to "forget" it in my Bullet Journal. I only use arrows and move items forward if it takes more than a week to get them done.

• Like 2

I have been keeping a list of weekly goals/activities/errands that I don't have assigned to a specific day. Each morning I look at that list and decide if I can fit any of those in and transfer those. Then, when I check them off that day they also get checked off on the weekly page. Hopefully that makes sense!

Yep. I have a generic 'to do' list. I try to look at it when making my daily list.

• Like 1

The problem with putting something on the most likely day is that I only have one day going at a time.  I don't know how long Monday's lists will be, so I don't write up Tuesday until near the end of Monday.  Thus, if I think I'll fit in the DMV trip on Wednesday, I can't write it in until Tuesday evening, which means I have to remember it until then.  Maybe I'll start something like a weekly To - Do list. I wouldn't use a monthly one, but maybe a weekly list would be helpful.

What about keeping the weekly list on a post it in the journal? So no flipping through the book, but it is still right there.

That's not a bad idea.  And that would work no matter how many things were up in the air for the week.  And I wouldn't waste space on a weekly to do list that only had one or two (or no) items on it.  But doesn't a post-it kind of defeat the purpose of the journal?

That's not a bad idea.  And that would work no matter how many things were up in the air for the week.  And I wouldn't waste space on a weekly to do list that only had one or two (or no) items on it.  But doesn't a post-it kind of defeat the purpose of the journal?

I don't think it defeats it, once those things are done you could add it into your journal as an event or put it on the daily to do. The purpose of the journal is to have something that works for you!

• Like 1

I would think it would be ok, I mean it wouldn't be stuck anywhere but in the journal. The same way you would if you happened to take notes on a separate paper if you would just transfer it in when you could.

If you watch youtube videos on the Filofax people they have all sorts of cards, post its, flags, etc. It is what you make it! :)

• Like 1

I push it day-after-day.  For example, I had deposit check listed for Monday.  I knew that it would need to be done this week but not sure what day.  It was pushed (I just put an arrow next to the box pointing to the left to indicate it's been pushed) to the next day and to the next day.  Today I was able to deposit it.  It made me happy to finally check that box off in my journal.  While it is annoying to keep pushing, it sure feels rewarding when you do get to check it off on the list.  Also, it is unlikely that one will keep procrastinating on certain projects because you have to be reminded daily (by pushing it to the next day) that the task still needs completion.

If you are really opposed to moving tasks, you can always set-up an additional page for the week or perhaps every two weeks.  It's easy enough to customize.

Franklin Planners used to have a page marker for their binders. One page marker had a place to insert a list, which is where I kept a weekly to do. In my current planner (not quite bullet) I have four days on one page. For stuff that I know will get done throughout the week, I list it on Monday, but on the side. 

I think the post it is an acceptable way to do a weekly list.

I hope this works: Here are 3 of the 5 pics I am trying to link. But Graph paper composition book at Walmart $1.41. I broke out the Washi to cutesy it up. We have Index page, April spread, month at a glance on the left, daily to-dos on the right. Next page is for family birthdays, and then Anniversaries to remember. After that I made a "future events" page, so that whenever I have future dates they go here and then at the first of the month I can add them to my "month at a glance". Then I started a Curriculum wish list for next year. Whenever I purchase something I check it off. Helps me keep an eye on the budget- which DH likes! 

So far I am really enjoying using this, it's very go with the flow. 

eta: pics 4 and 5 won't load. Oh well....

post-72637-0-72463900-1398391249_thumb.jpg

post-72637-0-02999100-1398391265_thumb.jpg

post-72637-0-15234800-1398391297_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

For things I need to add to another week, I put and arrow in front of it, instead of a box, to remind myself to move it, then in the index, I have a topic labeled "Dates to move forward."  I put the page number on the index, then once I've moved it where it needs to go, I cross it off.  If it's not crossed off, I need to check the page number, and see where it needs to go.

For example (let's say this is page 24)

April 24

Ă¢Ëœ Stuff to do

Ă¢Ëœ  Stuff to do

Ă¢Ëœ  Stuff to do

Ă¢Å¾Å¾  Dr. Appt, May 6 @ 3pm

Under the index it's listed:

Dates to move forward  9, 15, 18, 24

When I see that pg 24 hasn't been crossed off, I check the page to see what it is, and if I can, I'll put it down the night before the actual day of the appt.  Does that make sense?

• Like 3

I've used a similar method to the bullet journal for years, but now I'm in love with the symbols so I am integrating that into my method! As for a pen holder on Moleskine and similar journals, this is my method. I made a loop out of 1-inch wide elastic long enough to fit around the cover lengthwise (similar to the original elastic closure, but just for the front cover), and sewed the ends together. I then cut two slits about 2 inches apart in the front of the elastic and scorched the edges with a flame so it didn't unravel, similar to what you do with nylon rope or paracord. Simply slip the elastic over the cover and and slide the pen through the two holes. Quick, simple and you can move it to the next journal instead of having to modify each new journal you buy.

I'm weird. I'm an office supply junkie and a post-it snob (Blue, lined square post-its are my absolute favorite). I'm picky about notebooks, journals and paper. I can spend hours looking for the perfect binder or folder. But when it comes to pens, the only ones I like are the cheapie black Bics that are clear with a black cap. People are always gifting me fancy, expensive pens and I always return to my trusty Bic. I stock up every time they go on sale for $1 for a 10 pack because I have a fear they will one day discontinue them or change the ink or pen tip so they don't write so smoothly or smear!

• Like 3

I have now added pages for notes about our upcoming China trip (I pull out the bullet journal whenever we run into someone who went on this university trip in past years because they always want to share), a listing of school holidays for next year (university and the two online providers dd will be using next year), and notes about the native perennials I purchased yesterday.

Normally I would be FREAKED out by having topics mixed together with my daily lists, but the index keeps me sane :D

• Like 2

I have now added pages for notes about our upcoming China trip (I pull out the bullet journal whenever we run into someone who went on this university trip in past years because they always want to share), a listing of school holidays for next year (university and the two online providers dd will be using next year), and notes about the native perennials I purchased yesterday.

Normally I would be FREAKED out by having topics mixed together with my daily lists, but the index keeps me sane :D

The index is the key for me.  I plan a lot of social events for my church, and having a separate notebook for "church lady stuff" was driving me crazy.  It's so simple to have everything together but without the index it would be a mess.

I'm finding I'm having fun with it too.  I am a very practical (and cheap) person but last night I bought some stickers and just added a few more to an Amazon order.  I'm trying to add a quote or Bible verse each day too    Trying to use black pen only for my lists and colored pens for the fun stuff. We have a ton of colored pens around here but I tend to grab the first one available and it's as likely to be bright pink as black.

My daily pages are getting bigger.  I track my daily water consumption, medications/supplements, .  I'm actually remembering to take my meds now. 

• Like 1

I cannot find graph-lined composition notebooks at any physical store around here...grr...

I found mine at Wal-Mart.  It is the same one as someone else posted a photo of above.  I covered mine with purple floral duct tape.

Okay, add me to the club! I'm back from the office supply store with my journal & colored pens. Funny thing is, one of my New Year's resolutions was to go paperless with my lists. I love technology but paperless was not working for me with the exception of Google calendar (& that works only because I can share with other family members). I didn't like peck-typing my lists on my touchscreen screen tablet, long term projects would drop off my radar, and I often didn't want to check my lists for fear that I would get distracted by email, etc.

As an aside, this thread totally cracks me up! Going from the initial post of a website, to research, to discussion, to analysis of required materials, to options for creative implementation, to ordering of required materials, to actual implementation, to feedback regarding the system. I'm thinking an ebook written by a forum member is next! Only on the WTM homeschool forum! :)

• Like 10

Started bullet journals today. 3 to be exact. One for the boys, one for my girls and one for myself. I am hoping to promote more independence with the kids and less "what next?" And me spinning my wheels trying to direct.

I have put two separate columns of check boxes. One for each child, and have each one highlighted in their personal color. I also put highlighted stars by any activities that require me, so they know to pick something else.

I am using cheap, $1 composition notebooks until I am sure this method will work for me. So far, all paper planners fail me!

• Like 4