Menu

Paper planner gals, have you seen Bullet Journals??

Moxie

Don't hate me, but I am not a fan of Moleskin.  The ink shows through to the other side. 

I am using an inexpensive A5 (5.83 x 8.27 inches) Oxford notebook that has really awesome 90 gram paper inside.

After watching oodles of Midori videos, I thought it would be nice to just take two of the Oxfords and connect them with a rubber band.  Yes!  I like it!  The front one is a bullet journal w/ grid paper.  I haven't done it yet to the one behind it, but I think I will put the forward planning in there.

And I confess that I succumbed to the lure of the Midori.  I don't really want to carry my bullet journal around, so I am going to use the Midori for something else.  But it is really nice.  I have decided to try making my own inserts for it.  I don't want to get stuck with proprietary inserts.  I have always been interested in making journals and bookbinding so I am excited. :hurray:

I like this blog, Notebook Stories.  My favorite entries are the Notebook Addict of the Week, LOL.

What didn't you like about them?

I know this wasn't addressed to me but I'm another person that doesn't like them so I'll jump in with my unsolicited opinion.

I don't like them because they don't lie flat the way I want and you can't leave them open of flip them around the way you can a spiral notebook.  That's why I prefer to make my own (with heavy weight paper!) and then have it spirally bound.  

• Like 1

Ok, so I watched the video.

Now I am on Youtube.com.

I can't join another 12 step program.

*need bullet journal*

Bwahahaha!!  Sucked another one in!! 

Time for Phase II of my World Domination Plan!

• Like 6

Just at Walmart after having spent the afternoon online looking at moleskine books. I found a graph paper composition book for $1.41! Now I can try the system on the cheap! If I am finding it works for me then I will spring for the good stuff. I did get some fine tip gel pens in different colors....

Ps- and it will give me something to do tomorrow at jury duty :/

• Like 5

Does anyone have any thoughts on Moleskine classic vs Cahier?

I may be weird, but I actually prefer the Cahiers. They're lighter, cheaper, easier to throw in a purse (IMHO), and lie flatter than the hardbound Moleskines, and they still have the pocket in the back (the Volants don't have a pocket).

I carry 2 cahiers (1 grid, 1 blank) bound with a rubber band that also holds a couple of pens. (I actually just bought some wide turquoise elastic at Joanne's to make a prettier band that will hold a whole pack of pens.) I use the grid one for planning, notes, lists, etc., and the blank one for doodling, sketching, mind-mapping, whatever. The two together are still thinner/lighter than one hardcover Moleskine, with the bonus that if one "half" fills up before the other, I can just replace that one.

• Like 2

Being one who starts (and stops) many organizing/productivity endeavors in an effort to try not to resemble a useless bucket of sludge, I will not allow myself to spend money on a Moleskine or better until I can prove the journal will work for me. That I will actually use it.

So I made a flimsy one of my own. Printer paper, folded in half with a construction paper cover. I did sew the "spine" of my "journal" with yarn. I do have a three pack of the moleskins waiting in my amazon cart, though. :)

• Like 4

Just at Walmart after having spent the afternoon online looking at moleskine books. I found a graph paper composition book for $1.41! Now I can try the system on the cheap! If I am finding it works for me then I will spring for the good stuff. I did get some fine tip gel pens in different colors....

Ps- and it will give me something to do tomorrow at jury duty :/

Being one who starts (and stops) many organizing/productivity endeavors in an effort to try not to resemble a useless bucket of sludge, I will not allow myself to spend money on a Moleskine or better until I can prove the journal will work for me. That I will actually use it.

So I made a flimsy one of my own. Printer paper, folded in half with a construction paper cover. I did sew the "spine" of my "journal" with yarn. I do have a three pack of the moleskins waiting in my amazon cart, though. :)

Yea!  I was beginning to feel like the only cheap frugal person here.  Last night I covered my 50 cent comp book with a piece of scrapbook paper from the dollar store.  I use cheap pens.  I can't stand to spend money on stuff like this when I know it might end up in the recycling sooner rather than later.   Not sure I can ever bring myself to spend $15 on a notebook though, even if the system is perfect.  Just one of the many ways I am turning into my mother.   :lol:  :lol:    I'm sure there are other things I spend money on that make other people go  :ohmy:

I added some more categories today, and my kids are starting to use theirs more consistently.  :hurray:

• Like 2

I'm still loving mine.  Next to the date, I've started writing the weather, just to amuse myself.  I wrote a little note yesterday that Han Solo had a cold, and a note today that both boys have colds (they're okay, just minor sniffles and cough).  Two days ago I went to bed and found half the population of Radiator Springs (the town in the movie Cars) under my blankets, so I made a little note of that too.  I just add them along with my to do list or whatever else is listed under the day.  I thought it would be interesting to look back through it later and see what was going on.

• Like 5

I'm only on day three of using the bullet journal, but I have to say that I really like it so far. Previously, I had a calendar, a to-do list, a journal where I would track diet, exercise, and health-related stuff (like when I would get a migraine, etc.), and a chart reminding me which bills are typically due on which day of the month. It's really nice having all of that integrated into one system.

As of now, I still have my chore chart separate, because I have that in a plastic sheet protector, and I mark things off in wet-erase marker as I go, then wipe it off and start over. I like that system so I'm not sure I'll change it.

Has anyone come up with clever ideas for the little bullet symbols next to your listed items? Beyond just the dot, square, and circle that he originally recommended, I mean. I've added one (didn't require any cleverness on my part, it was pretty obvious) for church events, feast days, friends' name days, when I went to confession, etc.: a little cross. I was trying to think of a special symbol for my health-related stuff, but I can't think of anything that's simple and quick to write/draw but says "health". Not that it matters much. I can just continue using dots. But I thought I'd ask.

I've been using the only hard-lead pencils that I could find at Staples, and I like them pretty well. They write nicely and don't smudge. The only problem is, how do I carry a pencil in my purse without it writing all over the inside of it, or the lead getting broken? I might switch to the erasable pen that TeacherZee mentioned (thanks for posting that!).

• Like 1

I was trying to think of a special symbol for my health-related stuff, but I can't think of anything that's simple and quick to write/draw but says "health". Not that it matters much. I can just continue using dots. But I thought I'd ask.

Would a little heart shape work?

• Like 2

Oh, I like the heart idea!  If you already use a heart for something else, you could maybe use the RX emblem (R with a long diagonal line and a line crossing that to make the X), or a simple caduceus (a straight line with 2 little squiggles wrapping around it). 

I can't believe I spent $15 on pens yesterday (3 pens, plus 6 refills) for this journal!  My regular pin doesn't really bleed through, but it does make indents on the paper (and I don't press hard), so I'm hoping this will be better.

• Like 2

Oh, I like the heart idea!  If you already use a heart for something else, you could maybe use the RX emblem (R with a long diagonal line and a line crossing that to make the X), or a simple caduceus (a straight line with 2 little squiggles wrapping around it). 

I can't believe I spent $15 on pens yesterday (3 pens, plus 6 refills) for this journal!  My regular pin doesn't really bleed through, but it does make indents on the paper (and I don't press hard), so I'm hoping this will be better.

But the real question is which pens did you get?

And my journal came!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am super excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

I've been using the only hard-lead pencils that I could find at Staples, and I like them pretty well. They write nicely and don't smudge. The only problem is, how do I carry a pencil in my purse without it writing all over the inside of it, or the lead getting broken? I might switch to the erasable pen that TeacherZee mentioned (thanks for posting that!).

When my mom shops with Clinique she always gives me the "free gift" which is packaged in a little toiletry case. Sometimes there's an additional mini-makeup case. I found that one of these mini zipper cases is a perfect pencil case, so I have been using it to keep a nice little assortment of pencils, ballpoints, fountain pen and highlighter right with my planner/journal.

Another option is to use a mechanical pencil with #2 1/2 or #3 lead, so you could retract them to toss in the purse. Or even just a pencil with .5mm, #2 lead -- I find that the finer pencil is much less smudgy than a .7mm. (Sadly I misplaced my .5mm pencil and have been using a fatter one! The smudging is starting to get to me!)

• Like 1

Okay, I confess.  I got sucked in, too.  I bought a Moleskine and started using yesterday.  I already love it! 

I'm still loving mine.  Next to the date, I've started writing the weather, just to amuse myself.  I wrote a little note yesterday that Han Solo had a cold, and a note today that both boys have colds (they're okay, just minor sniffles and cough).  Two days ago I went to bed and found half the population of Radiator Springs (the town in the movie Cars) under my blankets, so I made a little note of that too.  I just add them along with my to do list or whatever else is listed under the day.  I thought it would be interesting to look back through it later and see what was going on.

I write the weather in mine, too.  I also use it to make sure I drink all of my water each day (I draw little cups and color them in :)) and whether or not I did my yoga.  I've also noted things like that I had a headache yesterday and that I'm waiting for something that I couldn't pick up to be mailed instead.  So far, so good! 

• Like 3

But the real question is which pens did you get?

And my journal came!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am super excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe I didn't link them!  I bought these.  I must have clickable pens, because if I didn't, I'd lose the tops and be crazy mad at myself.

Can you believe what dorks we are over planners?  And I mean dork in the cute way.  You can tell we're homeschoolers, because I just can't see many other people getting so excited about this.

• Like 1

I can't believe I didn't link them!  I bought these.  I must have clickable pens, because if I didn't, I'd lose the tops and be crazy mad at myself.

Can you believe what dorks we are over planners?  And I mean dork in the cute way.  You can tell we're homeschoolers, because I just can't see many other people getting so excited about this.

Any type of teachers :)

• Like 4

I don't like them because they don't lie flat the way I want and you can't leave them open of flip them around the way you can a spiral notebook.  That's why I prefer to make my own (with heavy weight paper!) and then have it spirally bound.  

I do the exact same thing and for the exact same reason.  

...Though instead of "having it" spiral bound, I just bought a Cinch binder

• Like 1

I've got one of those (in blue)  The 0.7 mm-ness of them is driving me nuts so I just ordered some of the Fine and Extra-Fine with lids types.

I haven't actually started using my new planner yet.  I do have lists in my old notebook of how I want to set the new one up!  :lol:

Oh, and I use basic mechanical pencils for pretty much everything.  I am a math teacher, and I just can't use a pen!!!

• Like 1

Now I have a dilemma. My Sharpie pens I have are Medium nib and write too large. My new pencil lead (2H) doesn't seem any better smudge wise than what I had. Kind of annoyed at that since it should smudge less and we have a million refills already. So I can use smudgy pencil, too big of a pen or wait to buy a new pen...probably wouldn't be until Monday.

Yes! Why didn't I think of that?

If you already use a heart for something else, you could maybe use the RX emblem

That's a great idea too!

See, I knew you guys would be a lot more creative about this stuff than I am. ;) Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm loooving my bullet journal. The more I use it the more I USE it :laugh: . It's so nice to just have everything in there. I wrote our menu plan for the week & I'll probably either create a master meal list or just have all of them in there for future reference. And we're going on a trip this summer so I've started a list for that, too.

I'm not loving my pens, though. They work ok & don't bleed through (the smaller ones at least), but they just aren't smooth to write with. I think I want these  but they apparently "erase" from heat, and I'd worry about all my writings disappearing if I...I don't know, was writing by candlelight or on a beach or something. :rolleyes:

When my mom shops with Clinique she always gives me the "free gift" which is packaged in a little toiletry case. Sometimes there's an additional mini-makeup case. I found that one of these mini zipper cases is a perfect pencil case, so I have been using it to keep a nice little assortment of pencils, ballpoints, fountain pen and highlighter right with my planner/journal.

Great idea! I think I have some little makeup cases in my luggage.

Another option is to use a mechanical pencil with #2 1/2 or #3 lead, so you could retract them to toss in the purse. Or even just a pencil with .5mm, #2 lead -- I find that the finer pencil is much less smudgy than a .7mm. (Sadly I misplaced my .5mm pencil and have been using a fatter one! The smudging is starting to get to me!)

I looked for hard lead refills for a mechanical pencil, but I didn't find any. Maybe I can order some online. Do you have any problems with the ..5mm breaking? Maybe I write with too much pressure, but I found that I was always breaking .5mm leads in the standard #2 type. I wonder if a #3 would be tough enough for me.

I'm loooving my bullet journal. The more I use it the more I USE it :laugh: . It's so nice to just have everything in there. I wrote our menu plan for the week & I'll probably either create a master meal list or just have all of them in there for future reference. And we're going on a trip this summer so I've started a list for that, too.

I'm not loving my pens, though. They work ok & don't bleed through (the smaller ones at least), but they just aren't smooth to write with. I think I want these but they apparently "erase" from heat, and I'd worry about all my writings disappearing if I...I don't know, was writing by candlelight or on a beach or something. :rolleyes:

Don't worry about those pens erasing from heat. Yes, that happens, but all you need to do is throw your book in the freezer for a few minutes and your writing comes back! I use these pens for quilt making/marking. I also used one to make DD8 a "marauders map" from Harry Potter. She loved it!

• Like 2

Anyone have a favorite mechanical pencil?

I'm crazy in love with my Zebra M-301 (.5 mm), I've had it for years, and I'm so mad it walked off this week. I will find it!!!

I don't have a problem with the lead breaking, but I've been writing with .5 mm forever. Just extend less lead (the Zebra is better than, like, a disposable Bic for being able to fine-tune the lead extension) and write gently I guess? :)

• Like 1

Thank you, ladies! I probably should retrain myself to write more lightly and gently. But, realistically, I probably won't! :lol: If I could retrain myself to have beautiful penmanship that would be nice. Hmmm, maybe those are related???

You wonderful ladies have talked me into it.  After reading all your posts, watching all the you tube videos and perusing pinterest pictures, I'm off to the store today to buy my notebook.   Friday, I did a practice run by writing up a bullet list in my morning pages journal of things that needed to be done for april, even though the month is almost over.  The result was a trip to home depot for some paint and sanding down the cabinet in the bathroom which I've been ignoring for a month.  Today, paint the cabinet doors.  Who knew a bullet journal would get me off my but so quickly.  ~cheers~

• Like 5

You wonderful ladies have talked me into it.  After reading all your posts, watching all the you tube videos and perusing pinterest pictures, I'm off to the store today to buy my notebook.   Friday, I did a practice run by writing up a bullet list in my morning pages journal of things that needed to be done for april, even though the month is almost over.  The result was a trip to home depot for some paint and sanding down the cabinet in the bathroom which I've been ignoring for a month.  Today, paint the cabinet doors.  Who knew a bullet journal would get me off my but so quickly.  ~cheers~

Welcome to the Bullet Journal Collective.

• Like 7

My daughter and I were talking about the bullet journal and other task list/recordkeeping methods the other day.   We are in the minority among our circle who use paper rather than electronics for a lot of these sorts of things.  Only my husband has a smart phone, so far, though we all have either kindle or ipod which we use for various tasks but which require access to wi-fi.  But I am starting to wonder if there is a small backlash coming against "there's an app for that."    I have found that sometimes I (and my notebook) are much more efficient at retrieving information than some of my colleagues with their smartphones.  For example, I plan a lot of events at church, so my colleagues in that case are my fellow committee members.  When we meet, I have all the information close at hand while they have to go through multiple apps (email, task list, calendar).  I'm sure that's not the case for everyone and every situation, of course, and I am not anti-technology, after all, I am typing this on a computer and I use email and google calendar daily if not nearly hourly.  But it is interesting to me to observe how much people are loving this very old-fashioned system (not just here but all over the internet).

Another example, tracking my water consumption which is important to me. I have an app on my kindle which I rarely remember to use. But 10 squares in my bullet journal serve well to remind me to drink, and I do it.  

ETA:  I should add that there is definitely one way the smartphone is superior - the ability to look up things like the hours of the flower shop, location of the nearest paty store, prices of meat trays at various delis...notebook cannot do that!  So both are beneficial.

• Like 4

My daughter and I were talking about the bullet journal and other task list/recordkeeping methods the other day.   We are in the minority among our circle who use paper rather than electronics for a lot of these sorts of things.  Only my husband has a smart phone, so far, though we all have either kindle or ipod which we use for various tasks but which require access to wi-fi.  But I am starting to wonder if there is a small backlash coming against "there's an app for that."    I have found that sometimes I (and my notebook) are much more efficient at retrieving information than some of my colleagues with their smartphones.  For example, I plan a lot of events at church, so my colleagues in that case are my fellow committee members.  When we meet, I have all the information close at hand while they have to go through multiple apps (email, task list, calendar).  I'm sure that's not the case for everyone and every situation, of course, and I am not anti-technology, after all, I am typing this on a computer and I use email and google calendar daily if not nearly hourly.  But it is interesting to me to observe how much people are loving this very old-fashioned system (not just here but all over the internet).

Another example, tracking my water consumption which is important to me. I have an app on my kindle which I rarely remember to use. But 10 squares in my bullet journal serve well to remind me to drink, and I do it.  

In my office I am known as the technogeek, but I've found that like you describe there are to many apps, and to many places to have the information in, I am loving the bullet journal. I didn't like regular planners because they weren't doing the job, there wasn't enough space in some respects and in others to little space. This is what I love about the bullet journal, I just start a new page.

• Like 2

Margaret, I tried electronic organizing for awhile, and must have downloaded and tried out at least a dozen different apps (sometimes free ones, but sometimes paid). But I seem to find myself drawn back to the old-fashioned methods. There is something about the physical act of writing that is satisfying and "secure" feeling to me. I realize that probably sounds very silly, but it's true! Writing cements things in my memory far better than typing does. I wish I had better penmanship but that's another story...

But, like you said, it's not like I'm a technophobe or anything. I love my iPad! But I'm not willing to give up pen and paper just yet. :)

• Like 8

I do use my iPhone calendar app to remind me of appts (because it shows up on all my devices, and I can set reminders), but still write them down in my book.  I just transfer them over later.

I do this too. I use my google calendar and then I look at that to fill out my paper calendar

• Like 1

I love the links on this thread! A longtime notebooker and lover of pens and lists, I like the more organized approach to these bullet planners. I've carried a spiral bound "Fat Book" for odd notes on the run for years, but it's a jumbled mess. I have a Medium Piccadilly book small enough to fit into my purse--a must for notes on the go. I made a large binder last year with organized dividers, calendars, and pockets, but it was just too big to be useful everyday. I do use my Google calendar and it works, but I see things or meet people and take notes wherever I happen to be, so a traveling notebook that is small enough to fit in a purse but large enough for some serious writing is a must. Spiral is preferable to either the Moleskin or Piccadilly as the pages lay flat. 

• Like 1

Now that I've been using my bullet journal for a few days, I'm finding a few more things to keep track of each day.  I'm recording my water consumption (trying to drink more water these days; a challenge for me), checking off when I remember to take my vitamins, whether or not I've done yoga that day, and the weather (just for fun).   I'm also writing down any money that I spend (that isn't paying bills) and where, totaling it up every day and recording it in on a Money Spent page.  I intend to tally my spending each month to see where I can make improvements.  And of course I'm writing down tasks, events, and notes.  And yesterday I did some pretty cool doodling in my journal while hanging out with my SO and son as they built a bike ramp.  Loving this thing! :D

• Like 4